Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

Waiting lists for a 1LT Chevy Blazer… :crazy_face:
Then again, one of those same dealerships has LS Sparks marked up $2,500, so…

1 Like

That must combine both FWD and AWD 1LTs…mine is FWD.

I just looked on the dealer website and they have my used Acadia for sale at $42,989. Thats $1,100 below sticker price…and it has 15k miles on it. Wow! Good luck to them, I hope they sell it.

No one understands the power of money printing by the federal reserve and the ramifications it has on economic cycles.

No one is going to comprehend why fed printing has led to shortages in the car market but its true and I will continue to say that money printing by the federal reserve and stimulus has caused this issue of where we are today and the shortage of vehicles in the US and the rest of world.

3 Likes

Are you bagholding Vroom shares?

2 Likes
2 Likes

That ~$59k 2020 SR+ Model 3 still listed on Carvana. Lol
No matter how insane the used market gets, looks like it’ll never get insane enough to buy a $40k Model 3 for nearly $60k used.

3 Likes

Then you have no idea what you’re talking about. Stimulus money has very little to do with the car shortage because the car shortage is SUPPLY-SIDE driven, not DEMAND-SIDE. US new car demand is still projected around 17-18m cars/year, in-line with pre-pandemic levels. Supply is only going to come in at around 13m cars this year, if we’re lucky. In no way is that due to fiscal policy. It is due to screwed up supply chains, covid shutdowns, natural disasters, and, lastly, poor planning by auto manufacturer supply and inventory management teams, as well as a broken JIT inventory business model.

9 Likes

some of the phone number sellers on this platform could learn a thing or 2 about supply and demand and how to sell whatever cars they have access to wisely, rather than giving them away. when times are lean, and supply is scarce, prices go up…

3 Likes

I’m not sure I’d call it poor planning by the supply and inventory teams. I don’t see any articles about massive overtime at the plants, or any pressure from higher ups to get the inventory caught up. Just business as usual, at it’s usual pace, not worrying since prices have gone up, incentives have dropped, and demand has risen. They will produce 13M cars this year with profits that reflect 18M. I don’t call it bad planning, it’s smart business and will make shareholders happy.

1 Like

sure, but that’s all a coincidence. it just happened that the economy tanked when they cut their orders, but car sales did not. manufacturers employ thousands of unionized workers, who it would be very expensive to get rid of, not to mention the subsequent PR nightmare. they’d rather have the workers continue to produce cars.

2 Likes

Why would they do that if they know they won’t be getting a part without which the car is just a piece of metal.

There were articles earlier in the year about how there were parking lots full of vehicles waiting for chips.

There comes a point where they just not going to keep making cars waiting for chips to arrive.

Then you haven’t been reading the tech news lately. This chip shortage even affects phones / microwaves / other major appliances. It’s been talked about extensively here for at least 6 months.

It’s not fake, it’s not because of the US, it’s because of the fact that a key part is made somewhere else and it takes 6 months to even produce and a few major factories are not making or even existing.

I believe one is in China (Stopped by the US Government) and one is in Korea (Fire destroyed building)

1 Like

I believe one is in China (Stopped by the US Government) and one is in Korea (Fire destroyed building)

Taiwan was hit by severe drought, clean water is essential for making chips.

Right but they weren’t a major player back then, they are now. Sorta. China was the worst one, and Korea ‘could’ve’ picked up the slack but the fire destroyed that plant.

I didn’t state they didn’t have any setbacks. I’m saying there aren’t any articles coming out that state they are running around the clock, 24/7, working 7 days a week, and attempting to come out. All I’ve personally seen is that there is a shortage and they aren’t sure how long this will last.

Running auto factories 24/7 would make sense if they had all the parts, and labor was the constraint. They have the people to build them, they don’t have all the parts. See all the stores about tens-of-thousands of incomplete/mostly finished

There is plenty of public reporting about the chip companies running 24/7, and delays at the ports shipping parts/subassemblies.

3 Likes
1 Like

Just saw this:

" Wholesale used-vehicle prices rose 3.6% in the first 15 days of September over August prices, according to Manheim’s Used Vehicle Index. Secondhand car prices had surged higher and higher throughout much of the pandemic before stabilizing somewhat during the summer months.

Now they’re on the rise again."

1 Like

Trend-line checks out

3 Likes