Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

I mean…I get it but you have a $44,000 car which still has $4k in incentives to this day…and that I paid $32,000 for…then I put 15k miles on it and they still give me over $40k for it? Seems a bit crazy to me. To be honest I feel bad for the dealership that took the Acadia and sold me the XT6.

Vroom quote for my just purchased $33.8k MSRP Blazer 1LT:

Same exact build new on Chevy.com (including the $2,500 rebate):

Me:

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

It doesn’t matter what the rebates or incentives are presently if no inventory of the vehicle exists.

If you look at the SLT’s on Rodo right now they are all $1K to $3K over MSRP.

1 Like

Well that’s Rodo…there’s plenty of dealerships selling under msrp.

1 Like

One thing i don’t understand is why are manufacturers still running tv ads?

6 Likes

Out of sight out of mind?

Could be …i guess…

Just sold my C8 hard top convertible for $37K over MSRP lol.

10 Likes

I have no specific knowledge of the franchise agreement for car dealers but many franchise agreement include a payment for regional or national advertising. Assuming the big car makers have that fee in their franchise agreement, even if it is not needed that money pretty much has to spent on national TV ads.

I’m sure there is a fixed % that is required to be put into marketing fund or even specific TV ad fund but i am sure that usually those funds are not like use it or lose it…they can be carried forward…

The ads have definitely have reduced but still see some on a regular basis

1 Like

So are CarFax quotes actually pretty reliable assuming the condition of the car is accurate? Because if so, the insanity level is getting jacked up with each passing day.
Same MSRP $33.8k Blazer I just posted trade in quotes for above:
blazer

I see ads all over the place but I usually only watch live sports.

And this is usually a slow time of year for automakers before the Santa Claus driving a Mercedes then BMW then Kia, etc. ads drown the airwaves. So no one is telling the marketing/sales departments that supply chain issues are permanent.

Noting that my unscientific sample of KBB “very good” values seem to be up 5-8% just since Labor Day.

1 Like

Keep in mind that you selected “excellent” condition and nobody pays that on a trade-in.

Have you tried getting an online quote from Autonation? They were the highest when I traded in my Acadia a few days ago.

A 2021 Blazer LT with under 100 miles is selling for around $34K to $38K at wholesale auction right now. Suggested retail value is $35K.

1 Like

I mean this thing is brand new. Only miles I put on it was the 6 to drive it from the dealer to the storage lot, where it’s been ever since. I got a quote for $30.7k via Autonation. Vroom’s $31.6k was the best until I saw what CARFAX spit out.

There’s a way to request a cash offer from Carfax but they just submit it to local dealerships and they contact you.

Do you not want the car or are you just messing around?

Oh no, I’m 100% offloading the car. I’m just trying to line up the highest bidder so I can trade it in the same day the title arrives.

Take it to a Chevy dealership with 0 in stock and see what their best offer is.

Is there any specific benefit to a Chevy dealership vs a non-Chevy one? I guess they can sell it as a CPO thus offer a little more in trade?
I checked the 3 closest to me, and none of them have any Blazers in stock. Hell, the dealer that handled my Bolt buyback and let me swap into the Blazer has all of 9 new Chevy’s listed on their website.

My guess is they have a list of people wanting a new Blazer and they could alternatively sell them one with 100 miles at a premium.