Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

This is how it started. I inquired about a loaner that wasn’t eligible for lease incentives, so they offered to sell me a new one. I told them that I would need 17% for this to make sense and this is where the conversation could have ended without hard feelings, but I got another email from the GM asking for my numbers. I’m guessing if they are only in the 5-7% range they wouldn’t bother to engage. I believe that a double digit discount is doable.

Got a X5 M50i almost 2 months ago - no real discount to be had. I was curious and contacted a few dealers to see how prices have changed. I would have thought the higher priced vehicles to drop quicker, but surprisingly the M50i prices are still pretty stagnant compared to when I bought, maybe 1-2% less. Did not do extensive searching, of course. Premium luxury SUV/SAV market definitely dropping but seems like certain vehicles may still have allocation issues keeping prices up. Anyone with actual source can confirm allocation #s of M50i vs 40i X5s.

lol I’ve been down that road with dealers plenty of times before. They engage until they see that I know what I am talking about and the 17% is pre incentive, loyalty, OL, base MF, etc. Then they tell me to go to hell. Hopefully, your luck is better than mine.

1 Like

Bunch of Floridians about to need new cars. Your car may be worth more next week.

7 Likes

@TheSmoke09 is going to need a new crown Vic

4 Likes

Autonation offers gonna spike after this hurricane wiped out a bunch of cars in there market.

3 Likes

It appears the stealerships are battening the hatches preparing for a cold and long winter.

Just had a fun time trying to get a straightforward deal on a used 2022 Palisade Calligraphy with 5K miles. Listed price was a fair $49,882 with no indication of any BS fees. Was working with the sales guy on this deal via text and phone calls since yesterday morning. Took 32 hours just to get a deal sheet from them and they tacked on a $1,995 “Care Package” and a $3,495 “Cert” fee (it is not CPO). They also tried cutting the trade value down by $2,416 without me noticing.

What should have been an easy transaction where I give them a clean trade in and a cashier’s check for ~$10,000 turned into nothing because they tried tacking on $8K worth of garbage. But hey, the doc fee was only $150.

Surely these games won’t continue when they are sitting on a year’s worth of underwater inventory, will they?

1 Like

The used m50 pricing is in free fall. There’s no bid. The same cars that used to sell quickly in the high 70s now sit in the mid 60s. Someone posted here very recently 10K off on a new X5M.

Do you guys think we’ll see an overnight bubble pop when Vroom and Carvana file for bankruptcy and liquidate the thousands of cars they’ve been collecting?

1 Like

Shottenkirk is THE WORST

1 Like

I just need donations sent to my cashapp, man. Need this lift kit to navigate these waters.

2 Likes

2020 and 2021 were the perfect storm for Carvana. If they had waved a magic wand they could not have created a better environment for themselves. And they still lost $300M in 2021. If Carvana can’t make money in 2021 it will never make money.

Bankruptcy was foretold many moons ago.

4 Likes

Their inventory is surely a drop in the ocean compared to the entire used car market. I doubt the liquidation event will be more than a blip. And the executors would surely want to stagger much of the liquidation.

But less competition (esp for late model used cars) might remove some of the froth at the very top of the market.

3 Likes

This is what making a $4 MILLION mistake in the car business looks like! - YouTube Illinois dealer with 100+ G wagons? Is that real

2 Likes

confused-is-this-real-life

It’s in Schaumburg, a Chicago suburb. The Land Rover store is just next door to this MB store and I remember the sales guy telling me during my Defender test drive a few weeks back how they “owned” the G wagon market. They had a ton. I didn’t think anything of it until watching this…crazy.

It’s part of the Ziegler group - lots of ADMs, and known for hidden fees before even the pandemic. I don’t think many will feel sorry for them for their “mistake”…

3 Likes

Bohemian Rhapsody Fantasy GIF by Queen

1 Like

If given a choice between an Aviator, Xt6 and a xc90 which would you pick? This is if you were to own it and not lease the car.

i don’t know how these guys are afloat - it’s ziegler MB of hoffman estates. they’ve like the biggest inventory i see in NW Suburbs of Chicago. SO MANY GLEs every possible color

Motorwerks also has some huge numbers on their lots. I don’t know how they plan to move them.

During the 2017 Q50 craze on LH - the manager from the Infiniti store from ziegler said we aren’t the guys who are giving you deals. Go to Naperville Infinti.
It was true people bought QX60 for sticker back in 2017. People in this area are either stupidly rich or just financially dumb.

Zeigler is a large automotive group; I’m sure they will continue to do just fine. Motorwerks is about the same story.

My Q50 stories are some of my favorites. My first Q50 (S, 2015) I originally found in Chicago. I forget which store, but I ended up purchasing that exact car from my previous Infiniti guy by Milwaukee (I got a ‘14 Q60S from him). The guy in Chicago did not want to deal at all…so they did a dealer trade and the Milwaukee guy got the sale. :joy:

My 2019 Q50 RedSport I ended up getting right in downtown Chicago. It wasn’t the easiest, but I was shocked I actually got the guy to budge on the numbers.