Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

No paywall version from Reuters.

Kim reported to NHTSA in 2016 that Hyundai was failing to address a design flaw linked to its Theta II engines, which were prone to seizing up and even catching fire.

4 Likes

Got this offer yesterday. Before tax I paid $24,000 for this car a two weeks ago. I have no idea what’s going on. I purchased this car off the lot with relatively little effort and probably even left a few bucks on the table.

3 Likes

The problem is, until they start going personally after people making those decisions, those fines are just cost of doing business.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t have bought I Hyundai back then. They have improved exponentially.

1 Like

Just saw 2(!) today within minutes. At Costco :slight_smile:

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

Carvana offered me 55k for my Kia Telluride that I bought for 46k half a year ago.

Total insanity.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

Not exactly used car pricing related, but some automakers (like Stellantis) are jacking up destination fees.

1 Like

It’s been happening for a while.

“We expect prices to remain high until the inventory pipeline is refilled, which may take another year to return to more normal levels”

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sold one to CARVANA!

I think this to Malaysian plants are back to 100%: Morgan Stanley says the semiconductor chip shortage for the auto industry is nearly over.

4 Likes

That doesn’t mean dealers will be going back to giving cars away in a hurry. Especially if they have to eat the corresponding decrease in value for used cars.

2 Likes

Agree. Recovery always takes more time. It may be a year before we can start seeing some decent deals again.

Does it mean I should sell my second car now? Assuming I don’t really need a second, and kept it so far just in case.

Not a used car… but…

17 Likes

I really hope we see a $2000 a month Rav4 pop up on SAL in a year.

4 Likes

Downtown Toyota of Oakland certainly has balls of steel.

3 Likes

Wow I sold one at 8k over msrp and thought the buyer was crazy for spending $65k all in on a rav4!

8 Likes