Ugh, ok shout out to all Brokers, you need to broker Warranties for Honda in CA! Money!
Michael did you end up getting that Volvo and/or extended warranty? I’m reasonably tempted by the ex-loaner XC90s in my area.
Can anyone recommend an extended warranty for BMW? I have a 2019 certified PO that is coming off of the BMW program? TIA.
Looks like we’re finally going to get our 24 Honda CR-V Hybrid as its finally at the dealership. They asked me in the finance office about extended warranties and the guy brought up a point that I hadn’t thought of - hybrid battery and associated item repairs. This is my first electric-esque car and I’ve seen how awful some of the repairs are on phev and fully electric cars.
Here in Florida, warranty prices are fixed, so I have to get it at the same relative price everywhere, but I’m not sure if I have to buy the same brand of warranty. This dealer uses Ethos Group, and the cost is $2k for an extra 7 years and the max coverage the plan offers. I believe they have both shorter warranties and ones that give less coverage as well but I’m not sure on cost.
What say the hackers on this one? I’m normally a no-warranty kind of guy as I don’t tend to keep cars for that long, but with repair costs skyrocketing and things being crappy in general, I thought it was at least getting the hive’s collective opinion.
Electric or not, when one of my finance manager buddies used to sell Hondas, his line was “if Hondas don’t break down, why do we have $3 million in parts in this building?” He’s not wrong, they aren’t all oil filters and touch-up paint.
I’d want HondaCare. Full stop.
Is Florida one of those states where you cannot buy extended warranties from the other 49?
Agree with @jeisensc on getting the OEM extended
I’m always skeptical when someone uses fear as a sales tool.
My superficial understanding (as someone who suffered the indignity of having a Prius in our garage for several years) is that the battery and at least some related hybrid components have much longer coverage than a drivetrain warranty, which is in turn often longer than the rest of the “bumper to bumper” coverage.
Is that not the case with Honda?
yep
apparently i can buy from other companies but i can only buy from a dealer so I don’t know how that would work. this dealership’s warranty isn’t through Honda directly and this Ethos company doesn’t seem to be affiliated with them.
https://www.egassurance.com/products/vsc.html
well the book on Honda has always been that they’re the most reliable and i’ve never bought an extended warranty in my life up until this point. i’ve personally never dealt with a hybrid car, and given how everything breaks down these days, i at least thought it was worth an ask.
I was merely suggesting that you check the factory coverage on the battery and hybrid components before spending $x,000 on potentially redundant / unnecessary coverage.
Try searching other forums for Florida Honda dealer with the best price on extended OEM warranty or HondaCare.
Florida is the second most popular search for variations of these terms.
Of course I tried that. It brings you a few warranty websites that you can put in your information to get a quote, but almost all the info is about used car warranties. I couldn’t find a single price list for new car warranties.
Not sites. Click on search results that are forum threads.
Is it really extra 7 years? I feel like these warranties are worded to make it seem like that but only actually cover those years from the in service date.
So if factory is 5 yrs (idk what it is for Honda) you’d only really have 2 extra yrs.
factory is 3/36k. just the battery has a 5yr.
i just found out from the dealer a 2 year extension until 60k miles with Honda Care is $1160.
I’ve never looked at Honda but thought most EV battery warranties were typically 8-10yrs?
so far as I can tell with Honda only the battery itself is warrantied for 10yrs. the battery system and all associated systems seem to fall under the standard warranty.
Have you shopped the warranty at different in state florida dealers and just go with the one you like?
apparently in florida the prices are fixed by the state. the only difference is between the brands of warranties. since i found the price on the honda care there’s honestly not much more work to be done on that front.
Please provide the Florida law, code or regulation that supports this statement.

