Want me to resign lease documents to less favorable terms

We are in Oregon and signed a lease on and picked up a BMW X7 M50i last weekend and have been driving it since (about 6 days).

Just got a call from the dealer saying they messed up on the lease documents and put in $0.25 cents/mile for any overages instead of the $0.30 cents/mile that they were supposed to and now BMW financial has sent it back saying they won’t fund the lease without it being at $0.30. I guess the M50i has a different rate than the base car which is how they made the mistake.

It is not a big deal but I don’t like having signed a lease contract in good faith, and then am told I need to sign a worse deal.

They say they will not send the paperwork into the DMV if we do not resign.

We had no trade in or anything on the car, but we have paid $3,300 down and pre-paid for another $3,000 in paint protection film and ceramic coating.

Any thoughts on this?

Is it a “worse deal” just because of the mileage overage or did your monthly payment change? If its just because of the mileage overage then just resign and enjoy your car.

Just resign it with the correct mileage overage charge, nothing else should change, mistakes happen.

1 Like

Just the mileage overage. Nothing big.

1 Like

Did you pay the dealer for the paint protection/coating or a different company? If you paid the dealer, you should be able to get that money back if you decide not to sign the new contract and return the car. You should also be entitled to get your $3,300 down back. However, as others have said, probably best/easiest to just sign the new agreement.

Mileage overage is $0.30/mile on the higher end BMW’s (they’re not making it up). They made a mistake; it happens.

Is it a dealbreaker for you?

If it is, just return the vehicle and get your money back. Otherwise, enjoy your fine ride :slight_smile:

Edit: I won’t go as far as to call it less favorable terms. Mileage overage costs is one of those boiler-plate items dealers have no control over.

3 Likes

Keep in mind one of the paragraphs you agreed to at signing clearly states that in the case that a deal isn’t funded by FS, that you agree to re-do the paperwork. Why lease a vehicle, agree to that paragraph, then not honor your side of it?

More so in this case than others we see on here which has no financial impact on you except in the case of you driving over the allotted mileage.

7 Likes

Resign the leasing contract seeing that it was an honest mistake. Next time, skip the $3,000 paint protection film & ceramic coating.

5 Likes

You sure are acting like it is.

I would say this is an honest dealer mistake. The dealer has no say in what the mileage overage charges are and doesn’t benefit by changing it. Just re-sign the deal.

You can rest assured that after the dealer sold you $3k in paint protection and ceramic coating, they didn’t want to revisit this contract, either. :smirk:

16 Likes

Why is this even an issue if you signed for a certain amount of miles per year? I doubt you realized that you will go over allotted miles after 6 days.

I would have done both at local shops that do those services, but we purchased a car with white interior. The dealer provided “Glasscoat” protection comes with a warranty to clean, repair or replace the affected interior parts if they can not get any stains out.

We have 2 kids and we would not be able to get this kind of warranty through the aftermaket.

I get where OP is coming from here. It’s the principle of having signed a deal.

Yet for better or worse, OP, the terms of what you signed allow for clerical corrections like this. The dealer is indeed living up to the contract. Their mistake could’ve just as easily been one that worked out in your favor.

May we always see the forest for the rubber trees.

1 Like

That’s a lot of peace of mind. I bet you sleep well!

If this was me, I’d use this chance gift from the heavens to unwind the stupid protection product you bought.

7 Likes

That’s the only principle that matters.

1 Like

Also the price on the protection plan is negotiable.

2 Likes

From the initial post, it almost seemed that their mistake was your opportunity to correct your mistake on the protection packages.

Resign the paperwork, of course read through it with your original terms are intact minus the overage correction and enjoy the ultimate driving machine.

I agree, either renegotiate a better price on protection or delete it. I bet that a peanut butter/Capn Crunch/chocolate pudding stain etched into the leather would not be covered anyway. Unless it’s 100% damage coverage, the protection may not be as good as you think.

1 Like

Say you go over 2,000 miles that would be $100 difference from what you signed. What would you like them to offer you, a free keyfob condom?

2 Likes