VW Jetta over on miles, with 5 months left

Firstly, I’ve searched the forum for this already and only found 1 topic that didn’t really help.

I have 5 months left (ending August 20) on my 2017 Jetta S lease which I’m currently paying $210/month on at 10k miles/year and I am at 38000 as of today. Current buyout is $10800, and Carvana is offering $9100. Are there any options besides VW who can work on a deal with me without owing anything? VW is offering me to buy more miles at .15/mile so I’d owe about $1200 and do not want to pay this. VW also said I wouldn’t owe anything (extra miles + last 5 months) if I got into a new lease with them but I’m looking at the Mercedes A220 or an Audi A3 (budget is max ~$320 per month $0 down). I’d consider another Jetta if it’s an SEL or a GLI SE.

Let me know what you guys think.

I highly doubt VW Credit said this.

5 Likes

I don’t understand why you think you wouldn’t have to pay? You went over the agreement in your contract.

6 Likes

A dealer is not VW Credit, who owns the car. A dealer can say you “owe” nothing, but they’ll just roll it into your new lease. Any dealer can do that.

8 Likes

There is no way around paying for the overage on miles. You will either eat it in lease terms for a new Jetta or pay out of pocket.

2 Likes

I had been through the same situation and paid around $2800 for extra miles on my first jetta lease in 2016. Dealer said exactly same thing what u mentioned but at the end after a month you will get a bill from VW CREDIT for the extra miles and the loss they have taken on the car by residual value and you will be paying which ever amount is less.
Let’s say they sold your car for $2000 less than residual and your extra miles is $1200 then u will need to pay them $1200. I am not sure exactly on how they calculate but they will make you pay for that extra miles.

From my experience, it’s better to purchase it and then sell it to a third party if at all possible.

This is getting into risky territory. You better be damn sure you can sell it for more than the purchase price plus TTL.

1 Like

You are currently 1700 upside down, ~47/mo plus rent on a 36 month lease.

“Getting out of your lease early”

Yeah you cab bury the negative anywhere. Remember if you don’t get another VW you also have to pay disposition fee if it’s grounded. The overage and disposition fee is basically a wash right now.

You’re closer to $270 with negative, not sure if thats with or without tax, but I think you’re probably on the wrong car.

I think if you want out of this lease early, in your budget, with $0 DAS and not much negative/out of pocket, you need to look at a VW - WITH ENOUGH MILES NEXT TIME. :man_shrugging:t2:

You’d owe $1200 right now for just the miles you have used, not including turn-in fee and remaining payments. So probably closer to $2500. At your current pace, you’d be paying $210+$150 in miles per month moving forward. That’s on top of the $1200 you already owe on the miles and on top of the turn-in fee.

So:

1. turn it in now for $2500
  2. Drive till end of term and pay ~$2300 at lease end.
  3. Take carvana offer and pay $1700 now and start fresh with a new lease.
  4. Take a chance and keep driving it and sell it closer to lease end.

I’d take #3, personally.

2 Likes

How many miles are you driving now? From the looks of the highways, I’d say the average miles driven are down by 90%, again no rush to do anything right now.

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re going to find a Mercedes A220 or Audi A3 w/ real leather at your stated price point.

+1.

1 Like

15 cents a mile is not so bad. You are paying just over 25 cents a mile for your base 10k/year lease.

15 cents an extra mile then is quite the bargain.

1 Like

Do you mind linking the topic you found that didn’t help? There is no way around it. You are going to have to pay for the overage miles unless you decide to sell the car to a third party (and take a loss).

Given the current numbers you have shared, you will need more than 12k miles a year on your next lease, if your driving habits remain the same. I doubt you are going to get an A class or an A3 lease for $320/month with $0 down. Feel free to check out the “shared deals” section to see what folks have paid. It might help reset your expectations.

1 Like

I just did a search on the forum and came up with this:

2020 A220: Signed: 2020 Mercedes Benz A220 ($387 incl taxes, $1500 DAS)

2019 A3 Quattro: 2019 Audi A3 Quattro Premium Plus - $379month $1910 DAS

EDIT: Both deals were for 10k miles.

1 Like

A little slow on the uptake, eh?

:bat:

1 Like

Get realistic before posting on the forum. It doesn’t matter if you want to pay the mileage overages or not… you’re going to have to pay it. I promise you nobody is actually going “take care” of your payments or mileage fees.

2 Likes

I write a column and of course people continue asking the same question. sighs

1 Like