VW ID.Buzz Microbus

It only took forever:

No surprises w/ the exterior, which is a good thing. I really hope VW adds some texture or SOMETHING to its dash “buttons.”

3 Likes

Rumor has it that there’s only one button in the entire interior and you just have to select in the infotainment what you want that button to do at the moment.

Ok, maybe I’m being hyberbolic, but it does look like they’ve continued the stupid only 2 window buttons crap from the ID.4

Otherwise, good on them for doing something interesting in the market space.

1 Like

funny how it still looks like the concept bus they showed starting back in 2001.

2 Likes

Except the 2001 version looked better :skull:

1 Like

U.S. buyers will have to wait for the 2024 model year to get the Buzz

Still plenty of time to renege, like they did twice with the Polo and once with the Scirocco.

1 Like

Do Europeans have the same (or more) fondness for the Microbus? I imagine they already have a ton of quirky minivan-type things over there, so I assume that VW hopes that the US will constitute a large percentage of Microbus sales.

And the Polo and Scirocco, IMHO, didn’t really make a lot of sense for the US market.

One button might be better b/c at least there’s only one thing to tap. They can make it as big as Acura’s ridiculous drive select knob…

NGL I’d be interested in a camper version of this, a`la the VW California. Doug Demuro had a good preview of it today, it looks promising.

1 Like

Camper version of this would be amazing.

1 Like

It needs all those windows tinted out. Kinda like the look of the interior…

But these quirky options aren’t electric. IMO the ID Buzz actually makes perfect sense for Europe. The packaging means that you have interior space of a vehicle a class bigger than the Buzz, which is only a few inches longer than a Civic (talking short wheel base here). This efficient packaging and smaller size definitely matters in much of Europe.

Further, the math of electric vehicles makes more more sense in Europe where, as a whole, distances are smaller, speeds are lower and the price of gas is much higher. You compare charging costs at home, especially if you have time of use discount, to $6-$7 a gallon diesel/petrol and the math of an ID Buzz is compelling versus any similarly sized vehicle.

1 Like

They did when VW announced them. I’m hoping VW makes the Buzz available in the US (I have some ideas for one of my own), but 2 years is an eternity for them.

1 Like

Seems like the ultimate family vehicle. I’d get it over a three-row crossover. More space inside because it’s a minivan, and cheap to refuel because it’s an EV.

Hope they work out some of the bugs and quirks that plagued the early ID.3 and ID.4 cars. They have two years to get a new infotainment system before it arrives in the US. I generally enjoy driving my parents’ ID.4 – while it’s being repurchased by VW, it does have some nice attributes.

3 Likes

Yikes. What happened???

It’s had a bunch of sporadic electrical issues:

• On more than one occasion, it wouldn’t start. If I leave it alone for some time, it powers up again. Exiting the vehicle, locking it, and re-entering sometimes works.

• Once, the parking sensors wouldn’t stop beeping. Even when the car was turned off and locked, I could hear it beeping from inside. Had to reset the infotainment system to shut it up.

• I lost propulsion in a garage. Dashboard lit up with error messages. I brought it into the dealer, and they made it worse. On the drive home, it lost propulsion on a busy road at night. The lights stopped working, even the hazards. No fun. On the third try, the dealer found loose wiring, and that issue seems to be fixed.

This is a 2021 1st Edition car. Hoping the bugs get ironed out over time. On the upside, the interior is airy and comfy and has held up well, and the physical build quality is very good. It does have a feeling of solidity to it that IONIQ 5, EV6, and Model Y don’t have.

5 Likes

So reminiscent of my 2016 GTI :lemon:. The mechanical stuff was fine, the integration between the electronics/subsystems was trash, every time VW touched it they made it worse.

Unfortunate they’re having issues on a brand new EV so soon after launch. Hopefully they sort it out. Very attractive in person, and as you mentioned they feel very solid.

Also reminiscent of the first-year Audi ETrons released in Europe.

2 Likes

Shade tree mechanics need to re-train into EE’s.

1 Like

I wish they release gas or plug in hybrid version of this :smile:

estimated real world range is going to be what 200-220 miles ( at 60 mph? )
The range is going to be too small for camping or road trips for USA. Charging network outside of Tesla sucks (own Niro EV myself), so if this was Tesla product, it would work better

Works great for around town for large family but for longer distance travel? NO

Also why inside looks so cheap? Especially seats looks like they are from 25k car.
Edit: please copy Volvo interior.

Also have one and have had a much easier experience— I’ve seen little unexplained electrical gremlins and warning lights twice, but so far it has just been lights on the dashboard, no actual impact on operation 5k miles in. Ours is a later build (November) so fingers crossed that it stays that way! It exceeds its rated range for me, and the cabin is a very pleasant place to be, as long as I don’t need to roll down the back windows.

3 Likes

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44067694/2025-vw-id-buzz-us-spec-revealed/

I’m not an EV hater but this thing would be so much fun with an PHEV/gas powertrain. Paying 60 grand for 200 miles of range doesn’t seem to be feasible for me.

2 Likes