VW ID.4, $401.23, $5,000 down+$4,500 trade allowance

If it really worked, the 911/Q8/M8 etc would offer a factory ceramic paint option like ceramic breaks…

This is just fancy RainX/Scotchguard, which temporarily works but washes out over time and is worth like $100 in wholesale product

3 Likes

5 year gold

There’s no way a dealer did that

4 Likes

But why ceramic coat an ID4?

I get doing it on a sports car or expensive luxury car.

Why not just do front end clear bra?

1 Like

Ceramic is insanely easy to clean. Also, high end folks do clear bra and ceramic on top of the clear bra.

Doesnt make it wise. I don’t see the point of ceramic coating in the protective layer.

Clear bra will infinitely be more effective at protecting the clear coat versus ceramic coating.

Clear bra is also insanely easy to clean, unless you’re referring to ceramics hydrophobic properties.

Either way, we’ve beat this to death, you got what you wanted; hope you enjoy it!

2 Likes

Why rush to the ID4?

It’s the adorable nightlight emblem in the grill for me. :rofl:

1 Like

That’s what rich people do lol I wouldn’t myself

Fixed it for you.

If you own a 911 and a $3K wrap and ceramic is a drop in the bucket for the shine and convenience, do it

When you start getting into exotics things like wraps, clear bra, etc become necessary to some people to protect the resale value from rock chips and other minor mishaps that could damage the paint. It can be a good investment. Putting that kind of stuff on a mainstream car, especially one with questionable resale value probably won’t be as good of an investment.

5 Likes

If I owned a 911, I’m paying a mobile detail to come and wash my car.

I also shake my head when I watch the Bentley’s and other high end cars on line at the Costco gas station these days.

1 Like

Spot on. I’m not saying ceramic coating is a bad thing, but it also isn’t for everyone and I think there is a lot of misinterpretation of what ceramic is/does. Ceramic acts nearly the same as a good wax, nothing more and nothing less. It is not some sort of miracle barrier, nor does it do much more than repel the elements. Ceramic has a longer lifespan than wax, and is also for people who do not wax their vehicles.

Ceramic service typically includes a thorough detail/paint correction, if done at a reputable shop. These costs that are thrown around are not simply the application of the ceramic coating. Either way, to pay anywhere from $1k-$2k is absolutely insane IMO. It is not difficult to apply if you have a bit of knowledge and don’t mind a little work.

And we’re talking about a $45K (stickered) VW here, which will likely be worth next to nothing in a year or two. Why are we talking Porsche at all, let alone a 911? :laughing:

I would wash the car myself, as I do now. That kind of thinking is what prevents a person from being able to purchase a car like a 911. Some people become tighter the more money they have, one of the few reasons you will see higher end vehicle at (perceived to be) cheaper locations.

18 posts were split to a new topic: Costco gas, anyone?

Im in the same boat like you. Income is low to take advantage of $7.5k tax credit. Can I lease like you and buy the car right away? To take advantage of $7.5 tax credit. I live in Corona CA, do you know any good dealer that I can lease from. So when buy back your lease car, can you still apply at credit union and bank for used car loan right?

Yes.

But it’s not obvious why you chose an ID4 in the first place

ID.4’s have horrible residuals so a $200 lease isn’t feasible.

I’m considering a VW lease to buy.

Would you be willing to DM or post a redacted copy of the contract?

Did the pay-off go as expected or were there any unexpected costs/hassle at the end?