VW ID.4, $401.23, $5,000 down+$4,500 trade allowance

I got hosed. It was my first time leasing and definitely got a markup because two dealers gave me lease payments with trade in, but the final contract says it all. 2K over MSRP and over 2K in add-ons (I wanted ceramic coating). Too late to cancel the $400 theft deterrent.

Regardless, given that I got $21.5K for a car I paid about $27K for (26K miles) $4.5K allowance and $17K check. I think it’s a good deal given what I’ve already paid for my trade in and the amount I got back. Looking to buy out the lease. Calculated my interest and it’s over 3%.

Had trouble with the lease jacket calculator so would love some help.

Year, Make, Model, and Trim: 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 Pro S
MSRP: $ 44,495
Selling Price: 49,411(1,118 ceramic I wanted, 745 rim/whee/dent/ding, 400 bogus theft deterrent)
Monthly Payment: $ 401.28
Drive-Off Amount: $ 4,500 + $5K down
Months: 39
Annual Mileage: 10,000
MF: Unsure
Residual: 21,831
Incentives: 9,000 fed+state
Region: SoCal
Leasehackr Score:
Leasehackr Calculator Link:

Update: got my $400 back for the theft detterent. Will also be reaching out for the dent and ding refund.

I paid for the ceramic but am getting a lot of crap. I took it in on Friday and they checked the vehicle for some errors but didn’t apply the ceramic, can I get a refund? I went to my original ceramic place (where I did my last car) and it’s $1,250, but trusted and definitely the ceramic I want. Worth canceling and paying more externally? I can’t get a clear answer on what ceramic the dealer uses. They state SIO2, but no brand and I love CeramicPro.

Final update: got the $400 security back, $1100 ceramic was also recovered (they didn’t apply it and when I took it in, they still didn’t do it). I’m still going to pay for this $1,200 with my guy that uses ceramic pro. Better than the dealer and includes paint correction. Though that should bring my lease down by $38 a month. Yes, the residual is still high, but I am leasing to buy. If I wanted to only lease, I would of looked at the e-tron or XC40.

$750 wheel/rim, dent and ding (5 year, 75,000 miles) is staying for now. Anyone strongly suggest I remove it? I’ve seen a couple of post with tires failing on ID.4 owners. I assume after 5 years I’ll have some dents, so that $750 is worth those corrections. I would buy tire road hazard protection elsewhere, if I removed this.

1 Like

You made 3 other threads about the ID.4 and still ended up with this deal? Enjoy the car.

29 Likes

Sadly. Still paying under 35K for the car after rebates and taking into account how much I paid for the trade in.

1 Like

Sellers market. Enjoy the car though, I’m hearing great things about these and look forward to testing one out soon for a week.

2 Likes

Not sure what kind of math you are doing, but you’re off by over $5k. The total cost is over $40k (at least $33281 + tax + interest + $5k down)

5 Likes

$27 after tax, fees and rebates taken into account. I got an E-Golf for $34K or so with tax and fees. $7K fed on fed. So down to $27K.

What did I just read?

You’re at ~630 a month effective payment not including the 9k rebate you got from VW credit and VW.

Definitely no where near competitive and probably slightly worse than average, but you know what? The market sucks and if this is what your heart desires, then enjoy the car.

I remember when Audi eTrons were going for much better than this.

14 Likes

At least he get 3yrs free charging at EA stations,

Probably still not worth it though, I may change my tune once I actually get my hands on the brass hat car. :sweat_smile:

I’m not following, is $21k the best trade in price you got? Did you get quotes from other services?

1 Like

In NJ I took a quick look at these when the Charge Up rebate came back and I quickly decided that it wasn’t worth $400 a month. I couldn’t imagine paying almost $2,000 in markup and another couple of thousand in worthless add ons that effectively make this a $700 a month payment now.

3 Likes

Regardless of how this is cut, the deal sucks. $1,118 for ceramic…? Tell me the dealer didn’t supply this “service”. And you’re concerned about the $400 theft deterrent. LOL

4 Likes

Why even bother sharing such a horrible deal? I doubt there are folks on this forum lining up to lease this car.

1 Like

We need to have “worst lease deals” thread going plus share with other users of “what no to do”

5 Likes

No need to call it “bogus”. You had two options:
Take the deal or listen to the advice of numerous folks who pretty much told you that this car leased horribly.
No one forced you sign such a terrible deal.

:point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

2 Likes

Oh well, (slightly) better than the guy who showed last week and asked if $800/mo on an ID4 was a “deal.”

Is there something I am missing about these ID4s? Why are multiple people showing up here with such a strong compulsion to acquire these at totally unreasonable prices? And then feeling bad about it, as if they absolutely no other choice in the market…

1 Like

For some people it really is a simple as “It’s not a Tesla

2 Likes

The Tesla brand has “it” though, whatever that “it” might be. The alternative is usually to go for the “smart money” option though. I imagine that an ID4 is going to be a better equipped car than a Bolt, Ioniq, Kona, Etc but is it hundreds of dollars a month better? And you’re still in a “Value” (albeit German) brand that most people look at as “an EV that isn’t a Tesla”. At least it comes with free charging, that’s a nice perk but you’re gonna have to drive the hell out of it to get any value at these prices!

1 Like

This may be my one saving grace. I got $1,000 more than I would have with Carvana/Vroom.

So that $2K MSRP markup was just $1K. Maybe I am trying to just make myself feel better.

Also, on the ceramic note, it was done through an external company at the dealer. When I did my last car, it was $2,500 at another place, so I considered the price fair for 5 year ceramic.

You can’t fill a cup that’s already full.

1 Like

I get that, but what’s the point in paying a substantial premium for an EV? I’ll stick to my ICE car for now.

2 Likes