VW Golf R or Honda Civic Type R

Manual Golf R at MSRP vs Type R at $2k markup, both cars effectively at $47k. Which one do you hackrs will take and why? Does anyone have access to MMRs on both? If flip is not possible, which one you think will hold its value better?

Type R all day…Honda holds value better.

Take the stock turbo off throw it in the garbage and put a bigger turbo on.

1 Like

I had a manual '22 Golf R for about 3 months… I’d probably go with the Type R.

Disney World Golf GIF

2 Likes

The new anniversary R might hold value pretty well. Golf R is AWD.

1 Like

No one above the age of 25 should be caught dead in a CTR.

And no one who can afford a car above a Si or GTI price point should be driving FWD.

10 Likes

You get an S3 and call it a day.

6 Likes

Well, the CTR got sold pretty quickly so missed my window already. I have been shopping for the GR Corolla, Type R, and Golf R for a while now and anecdotally Type R seems to be the hardest to find and transacting highest above MSRP out of the three.

I have owned a CTR and a couple of GTIs and I have to say, I kind of agree with this sentiment. The new batch all seem fun though and should retain value pretty well.

1 Like

How old are you?

2 Likes

If you care about the $ go with Type R

1 Like

Golf R is objectively better than the S3. It has the same rear diff as the RS3, the S3 still has the ancient haldex.

1 Like

Agreed. But no one under the age of 25 should be able to afford a CTR.

Wtf was this car really designed for.

1 Like

Flip Type R all day.

1 Like

Nostalgia exists.

If you are logical though, soo many better options exist.

1 Like

I have had a Camaro SS 1LE and a previous gen CTR. Not the same model years, but I want to say the otd prices were pretty close. As “track oriented” street cars, the Camaro absolutely destroyed the Civic. Resale is another story. Both were fun, nostalgic, and entertaining cars. Curious what other better options are out there for this type of car in this price range. Corolla GR is one I want to try, but if we are talking new cars, the pickings are rather slim.

2 Likes

I have a 23 manual GTI SE ($37K)…car is an absolute hoot out here in hills/canyons of Laguna Niguel area!

2 Likes

Agreed, they’re pricey but I was very impressed by it as my buddy just got one at msrp. Most dealers are 5k+ over for them so it’s a solid deal at msrp for sure. Civic prob will hold value better but I doubt it’ll be much better with the markup. You’ll enjoy the golf more

If you want a corolla morizo/circuit/core lmk! Not msrp but they’re pretty nuts too. Core I can do at msrp

I have had a Mk6 and Mk7 GTI. Very fun cars. Never tried a Mk8, but I am sure they follow that tradition.

2 Likes

Yeah, all good…a lot of people complain about no buttons in MK8 but I actually like the feel/look and was easy for me to get used to. The manual tranny/shifting/exhaust note when accelerating are truly sublime!

1 Like