VW Arteon starting at 35k

This should’ve just been the new Passat really. If it had a similar pricing point to the Passat they might actually sell some of them. Unless they get aggressive with the lease deals (which is entirely possible) I can’t imagine them selling many of these. It’s the same as the Stinger. Critics love them, but no-one buys them.

1 Like

I don’t expect this to get much critic love

The Stinger was different. It was bold to invest in and build a longitudinal RWD platform. This is almost a parts bin car using transverse FWD architecture that VW already has.

Agreed. the Arteon won’t get much love in the US and not from Critics. Stinger Premium tops out at 38k and that’s where the Arteon starts pretty much…

Could be a good used car value!

I like this car, and some call it a budget A5 liftback. Obviously, different cars, but driving experience not that much different. Quality of the Audi interior is higher, but also mo money. It also has as much or more room than many cross overs, with the back seats down. I like the way the front grill and led’s blend.

I think it’s all too little too late. The interior is just plain dull too.

Although I absolutely support more ‘Fastback / Liftback / Sportback’ style cars. We’ve got the Stinger, A5, A7, Regal, Prius, Ioniq, Clarity, Volt…the Accord would be a perfect candidate for it too!

(in the UK we just call them 5 doors, but whatevs)

1 Like

Literally only three or four of those cars are “fun” or “cool.”

hah, that’s probably generous tbh! The Stinger is pretty much the only ‘fun’ one. Coolness is harder to define though. I personally think a Regal GS is pretty cool, mainly because I don’t think I’ve seen a single one on the road!

They lose value pretty quickly. I also have not seen any on the road, wonder who’s buying them.

Update; residual values for the Arteon at a 39 month term is:

7.5k- 47%
10k - 46%
12k- 45%
15k - 43%

Definitely better bought, not leased.

Got this information from a friend who’s a salesman at a dealership in Ny.

They’re getting two Arteons in next week.

Wow, 47% for 7.5k per year?! That’s terrible

Oh ya, even VW doesn’t think this car is going to do too hot. RV’s that low makes me feel as if dealers should be discounting the car just to move it. I don’t see these things flying off the lots. They’re 10 points under even poorly performing mid-size sedans in the market.

With that said, my buddy said a fully loaded Arteon was leasing in the high 600’s. That’s S4/M340 territory.

It’s stuff like this that makes me convinced that VW just doesn’t want to sell cars here. During one of the the preview drives a year ago, the journalist admitted that the VW folks asked him/her if they thought the car would sell well in the US. Not sure how the journalist responded, but how in the world does VW think that a $50k inflated liftback Euro Passat (since the Euro Passat as been on the MQB for quite some time) is going to do well here when the W8 Passat was a complete failure and when the Phaeton was perhaps an even bigger failure??? NO ONE is going to pay Audi/BMW/MB $$$ for this car.

And I say this as someone who drives as a VW.

Yikes.

100% agree with this.

Also, as someone who drives a VW.

I love Audi/VW cars. With that said. I’d rather buy a used S5 Sportback and get everything I want plus more than full price on a loaded Arteon.

VW is insane.

How many times is VW going to make an overpriced car that looks nearly identical to the Passat, then wonder why it doesn’t sell?

But the Phaeton was seriously bad a**. Would take a W12 (with lifetime B2B warranty)

What if it was “Fully loaded”?

HUD is mysteriously absent.

I get the joke, though :P.

I know people like to use the Phaeton as a case study for why this car wouldn’t work, but I think that’s underselling the phaeton quite a bit. The phaeton was a 60k+ dollar car in 2005. It was designed along side Bentleys. The type of luxury of performance you got out of the phaeton surpasses the Arteon even today.

The Arteon just has virtual cockpit. Whoop-dee-doo

The Phaeton was truly an amazing car. Its downfall was that it looked like a Passat.

The Arteon is a parts bin car that looks like a Passat.

Why did they bother? Isn’t this what they have Audi for?

VW have a market issue in the US, because they don’t sell Skodas or Seats in the US they position VW to compete with Ford/GM but they don’t do it with any conviction (no pun intended). They must make way more money selling the same vehicles in Europe as they price them at a higher price point so selling them here is less unappealing.

Arteon is clearly not designed for the US, they just flipped a coin and decided to bring a few over. They’ll sell a few simply due to the fact they’re rare and it’s an upsell on the Passat.