Volvo S90 maintenance

Update on Swedish Brake-gate: 2019 XC60 went in for its first maintenance last Wednesday, also the recall (software) and some electronic gremlins (windshield wiper malfunction light - that wasn’t, some Sensus issues), and the brakes were very squeaky.

Volvo had the car a day and half, did all the software updates, first maintenance, and replaced the rear pads: all under warranty. Drives like new with no squeaking.

2 Likes

Should have leased a Chinese made, obviously.

I always vote with my dollars, and I would rather pay the wages for the people who assembled it in US or North America or Europe (there might be a list). I don’t think the China-built are at all inferior (to your joke, maybe better), but my name won’t be on a registration card with an L VIN.

It sat in a storage lot for 3 months before it was DXed and leased. And the software needed a thorough debugging. Now it just needs some chrome delete.

1 Like

Your dollars that you spent on your XC60 went to Geely, China. No matter were it was built. You smart enough to understand this, right? :smirk:

2 Likes

Smart enough to know which P&L the dollars landed on, and which pool of employees it directly employed, yes.

You don’t know how and by whom European employees get paid. Maybe they get paid from cars sold in Europe? But when you buy your Volvo in the US you pay Geely, I think.

The people who work at the assembly plants got paid for their labor: that cost is covered in the sale price of the car. All the revenue went into Chinese Geely’s pockets, yes. The Swedes who built my car still got paid to build it. And it’s broken out on the manufacturing side (retail sales and dealers don’t care).

How do you know what Geely did with your money? lol

I know that Geely’s workforce in Sweden doesn’t work for free, nor get paid by the government.

Probably wasn’t intended as such but do you realize how awfully prejudiced it sounds?

1 Like

I genuinely don’t speak for everyone but I understand what he meant.

Even Chinese people when faced with the choice of buying a Chinese domestic Mercedes or foreign German will gladly take the German, or the reason they fly overseas swarming boutiques for the brand.

Voting with their wallet for quality and an understanding of where their item came from and who made it.

Was there specifically something wrong with the rear pads that made them replace under warranty? I’m wondering why they didn’t charge you for a new set of pads.

Right…but squeaky brakes could mean a variety of things - some covered by warranty and some under normal maintenance you would have to pay out of pocket.

Like for instance, your pads are low - hence the squeak. That’s where you would pay out of pocket to get new pads.

So what was the exact reason behind the squeaky brakes? Just curious. Cheers

So are you all saying the s90 is crap? There is a dealership in San Fransico which has bunch of 2018 punched left overs and selling those for 30k. That is the best discount I have seen on a 0 mileage car. I was seriously thinking to go and buy one but reading all these I am not sure anymore if this is such a great idea. For those of you who have a S90, are there other than the brakes any other bigger issues with this model? thanks in advance!

PS: I also found this which is not very encouraging: https://www.businessinsider.com/car-brands-least-reliable-2018-2018-10#1-volvo-22-13

My S90 was flawless other than being aggressive on rear brake pad wear. It was a fantastic car.

3 Likes

The more I google about the S90 the more I see how bad this car is. No wonder there are still tons of 2018 and 2019 models sitting on the dealerships. What do you all think about the V60?

The early production ones definitely had some issues, but after that I don’t think they’re any more/less reliable.

Bigger issue is more than half the warranty is used. I wouldn’t buy one (period end of sentence) without an extended warranty.

Same motor, same platform. I’d expect it to be a great car, just as my s90 was.

I love my s60, and dad loves his v60cc, I had rotors replaced at 8k miles under warranty for the s60, but other than that, a recall, and a software error, it’s been great.

The v60 has had no issues in 5k miles, gorgeous, and nice to drive. Would I touch other outside of warranty, probably not.

1 Like