Volvo S90 maintenance

$700?!?!?! That is insane. Where do you live?

Good luck!

1 Like

SOCAL area. I had to ask 3 times just to make sure they are indeed quoting $700 on front brakepad replacement only.

May be worth calling other dealers around to see what they charge. Culver City did my rears and they were about half that.

Thanks, I will definitely need it.

@chairman, I’m in socal too. Don’t pay 700. Pmd you.

Pull ahead is 9 months on the S90 so you can do it.
Volvo Calabasas was charging ~$460 for rear brakes and they provide a loaner. Don’t pay $700 and I wouldn’t hold my breath on Volvo reimbursing (but worth a try, keep us updated).

1 Like

Definitely not paying that. I’m going to a local shop to get it done.

My eligible pull ahead month won’t be until May. Did give a shot on asking Volvo for reimbursement or promo code on dealer service, but no luck. One friend of mine did get a service promo code from Volvo HQ with the same complaint. I believe that was something like 40% off brake pad replacement which came out to be in the $200’s on a dealer job.

I have had my S90 for 28 months and they have replaced my pads and rotors 4 times under warranty. I have had all kinds of issues with wheel vibration.

Wow, how did you get it under warranty? I guess it must have started even at very low mileage.

Yes it started within 6 months of getting the car and they never questioned it. I didn’t need to fight them. I complained about the vibrations and they just fixed it. They never asked me to pay.

Check out the forum here. It’s a common problem.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisplay.php?5022-S90-amp-V90-V90CC-(SPA-2017-)#/forums/5022

That is so weird.
I have a 2017 S90 T6 with currently 35K miles and the front and rear pads are not even half way through.
Living in NJ and commute everyday to NY which means a lot of stop and go traffic on I-80.
Something must be wrong with your car…

Do you use pro pilot when commuting?

Unfortunately, your car is more of the outlier here.

1 Like

These prices are ridiculous. Pads needing replaced at these mileages is just plain unacceptable. I don’t think the front brakes are excluded using adaptive cruise/pilot assist in all cases as I’ve had a couple instances where I was close to applying the brakes myself but let the system do it’s thing.

As for the cost, I’m sure oem pads are less than 100 per axle and aftermarkets probably half that. If warranty won’t cover it, I suggest purchasing and either doing it yourself or hiring a local shop. Changing pads is very easy provided you have some basic tools and mechanical skills. It doesn’t take more than a few minutes for each wheel.

I’m taking mine in soon as there’s definite vibration that keeps increasing and think it has to do with auto braking. Contrary to popular belief, rotors don’t warp. Pad transfer occurs and causes the pulsation. Possibly what happens is the brakes are warm/hot and stay clamped down compared to braking yourself where you slow and then creep.

Just wanted to update you all on my situation.

Volvo has agreed to cover the brake pad replacement and has asked me to contact my dealer about this. I hope that the fact that I already paid the invoice doesn’t stop this from happening and I can get a refund for my payment and have the dealership sort things out with Volvo. It took me time to go back and forth with Volvo, but I laid out my case and they listened. Back on the happy camp with Volvo, but we will see what happens in 3-4 months when my rear brakes need replacement…

2 Likes

Thanks for the update! What made them agree? Low mileage or because it was the front brakes?

I think they went easy on me to be honest, but I also carefully laid out my case revolving around 15K miles being incredibly low mileage for brake replacement.

1 Like

Agreed.Use it every day 100 miles highway round trip.

One more update. Dealer just called, getting a refund back to my card. I was worried that since I had already paid for the job they would say that this only applied before payment, but Volvo came through and made this as effortless as possible. Happy with this outcome so far and we’ll see what happens if the rear brakes wear out soon.

Wow, that’s awesome! Thanks for the update.