Volvo S90 maintenance

2019 is longer than 2018. I had a 2019 and really liked it. I sort of wish someone would drive me around so I can take advantage of the great back seat. But driving it was nice too.

1 Like

My 2018 S90 was great aside from needing new pads and rotors 5 times in under 30k miles! But it was all covered under warranty. I would never drive one out of warranty.

2 Likes

The longer wheel base model started in 2018 not 2019. The first year 2017 didn’t have it then the next year did. The rear seat is HUGE! and I love that you can control the sun roofs and the seat in front of you from the rear seat.

2 Likes

What is bad about the car? In my opinion, it is an excellent car with a brake pad issue.

I think that one of the reasons why it doesn’t sell so well is because at that price point, most people are looking at BMW or Audi, not Volvo which hasn’t been an exciting brand for a while until this new generation of cars and suvs.

Is the brake pad issue specific to S90 or do the other Volvos (XC90 or V60) have the same issue?

It’s a large luxury sedan in the US. The 7 series, A8, etc aren’t volume sellers either

Search is your friend

Some people have reported issues, some have had no issues. The brakes on my XC60 were squeaking and replaced under warranty and I’ve had no issues since. YMMV

1 Like

Would you guys buy a 2018 CPO with 0 miles? The Car has been sitting on their lot for 3 years but they are discounting it 21k.

Not if I could get a 20-30k mile cpo for $10k less

Are they replacing the battery, wipers, and tires too before you take delivery?

So Fellas, I went ahead a purchased a 2019 S90. Original MSRP was 56k and I paid 33500. Also they took my leased Infiniti in and paid it off. The car was sitting for about 1 year on their lot and was punched 11 month ago, so I have 3 year warranty left. Car had 200 miles on it. First impression is Wow and wow again!! Very luxurious and comfortable ride. I put 5k down and 500 per month for 72 month. I am debating if a 36 month lease would have been much better. Anyways I am happy with my purchase and will keep you all posted about the flaws and issues (hope they wont be many). Thank you all for your tips.

1 Like

You couldn’t have leased 2019. Enjoy your car!

4 Likes

I’ve had warping on my S60 and V60 CC, my Volvo dealer mechanic friend in Illinois tells me this is very common and comes through his garage doors very often, as is brake wear on the larger cars rear rotors, he claims the front rotors are simply larger and as a result front rotor warping, and excessive rear wear on the larger cars is a side effect, his words not mine.

As long as you have warranty, make the most of it.

1 Like

Just wanted to give a short report about the first 800 miles I put on my new S90. I had to go to a 2x400 miles business trip and this was a great opportunity to test the car. Here my first impressions:

I have owned many cars in my life (among others Audi A6s and 5 series BMWs). This S90 is by far the most luxurious car I have ever driven. It is also the technologically most advance car I have ever driven.

• The seats are excellent and all the controls and technical gimmicks are pretty intuitive.
  • The ride is very comfortable and the suspension is superb.
  • I dont understand people complaining about the T5 engine, I think it has more than enough power for this car.
  • The gas mileage for the 800 miles trip was 30mpg, which is not great but also not that bad considering how heavy this car is and the fact that is still not fully broken in.
  • The semi auto pilot works great and it is very easy to learn how to drive with it. You need to understand that it is not a 100% autopilot and if you accept that, it is a fantastic system. I drove 70% of the time with the auto pilot on and it was great.
  • Love the head up display, very helpful.

Overall my first impression is Wowwww with this car. There are although few things what I didn’t like:

• The volume of the gas tank is only 14 gallons!!! Are you kidding me? Such a big car and only 14 gallons tank size? I think someone miscalculated something here. Apparently they have enough space to put the bigger gas tank because their AWD tanks and I think their T6 tanks are bigger. Anyway, this is a big minus for me, since I will be driving few longer distance trips and this small tank will make me stop more often on those trips, which is annoying.
  • The navigation is clearly not the greatest. I guess this is the case with most car navigation systems on the market. I am glad I have apple car play and I used it during my trip and it worked flawless. Just for fun, I have used both navigations side by side for the last 100 miles and even for this short section the Volvo navigation sucked.
  • The brakes vibrate when I brake on higher speeds. I think this is a common issue with these cars and I will bring it back to the dealership to check and fix it.
  • The 360 camera is great but from time to time one side strikes and shows black. I have to lock the doors and open again and it resets and works again, need to have that checked as well.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. I still cant believe I paid for a super luxury car the price of a higher trim Camry!! I think it is no brainer. I saw there are still tons of S90 leases for low 400s with just DAS down. I think this car gives you the best value for the money in the entire car industry (I hope I will say the same in 1 or 2 years :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

That pissed me off also. Went down from 17 g in 2016 S60 T5.

2 Likes

Rotors. It’s always the damn rotors.

2 Likes

@Mike2000 Keep in mind that using adaptive cruise control / autopilot will obliterate your brake pads. At 16K miles I needed to replace my front pads. I’m at 20K now and needing immediate replacement of rear pads.

Getting the work done at a dealership is not cheap.

My AWD T6 S90 had the same small gas tank.

2 Likes

Nice feedback!

I concur, it’s awful. Get used to using Carplay or Android Auto.

Cadillac and Tesla are better for sure, but none of these systems are anywhere near 100%.

Wish there was a physical button to get to it quickly for parking.

I love it when I’m not wearing polarized sunglasses, it’s pretty useless for me when driving during the daytime.

2 Likes

Now that you say that, that’s probably why I couldn’t ever see the HUD on my v60 loaner. All my sunglasses are polarized.

2 Likes

If I tilt my head about 10° it’s perfectly bright. I wonder if Volvo could have tilted the orientation of the display to make 0° work.