Volvo S60 needs new tires, brakes, and rotors at 8k miles

I’m going to ask the owner of my volvo store today who’s also a tech. This has me intrigued.

1 Like

I’m just trying to see if this is just normal for my usage scenario (heavy foot, stop and go like a taxi, almost all city miles) with luxury cars, or if it’s just Volvo. Like if I got a BMW or Mercedes, would I be in the same scenario?

I only really was bringing up BMW as opposed to a Honda or WRX, because it’s still a luxury car, and they design it with driving aggressively in mind (the ultimate driving machine). I’m in a lease so I’m not tied to Volvo forever and am wondering if any competitors, like BMW, would hold up better when I go get a new lease. Or if I drive like a heavy footed taxi, I should expect new brakes and tires every 8k.

Depending on how this shakes out, and if you are able to get this covered under warranty or have to come out of pocket to some extent, have you given any thought to changing your style of driving, at least temporarily to see if you notice reduced brake and tire wear, or any other potential benefits?

1 Like

I would love to know as well from the guys in the trenches, so to speak. Also wouldn’t mind hearing from other Volvo brokers.

Replacing brake pads at 8k miles is not normal for any vehicle not just Volvo. Even if you’re driving it “hard”…

Something is not right.

2 Likes

The best tires go on the rear, you may create some problems for yourself.
Best tires on the rear from Tire Rack

Just rotated my tires today. Have 9500 miles, the tires look good, doubt they’ll last three years but should get me close. Weird that Volvo doesn’t require rotation and if you do rotate they suggest front to rear only and vice versa even though they’re non-directional.

The brakes have no noticeable wear on the front or back. I don’t drive easy and use pilot assist quite a bit. Didn’t know before but it has a rear leaf spring suspension.

1 Like

Decided to check the forum since I’m having a similar experience and wanted to see if I was alone.

Mike the 19 s60 t6r I leased through you needed front brakes and rotors at 6000 miles (any highway braking caused a vibration and shaking)

This month (feb 2021) at 12,000 miles the rear brake pads went bad (a light squeal)

Both were replaced by the dealer under warranty.

I’m going to believe that this is caused by new model/new parts/new factory etc. hope this helps another hackr.

I can honestly say I don’t drive this car “hard”

1 Like

I have a 2020 V90 CC with a little over 6k miles on it. I got it with just under 3k miles on it. From the beginning, my brakes squeak the first few minutes of each drive before eventually stopping.

I’ve never owned anything but a Honda, which I never had to replace tires or brakes during any of my four leases. I took the Volvo into a local dealer a few months back and was told by their service department that it was just a “European car thing. Volvos, BMW, etc., they all have squeaky brakes.”

Not sure if that’s true, but the squeaking definitely annoys me a bit.

1 Like

I say I drive hard just to make sure that I cover my bases in case that makes a bigger difference than I had realized.

However, I noticed a knocking sound when turning the wheel all the way in either direction while in motion. I had both control arms replaced as they were both bad and the cause of the noise.

My brakes had squeaked forever and I should’ve complained, but having never been in a luxury lease before I’m not accustomed to having things like that taken care of.

I had a vibration when braking recently and complained and they replaced both front rotors and brakes under warranty this time. The rotors were warped and my pads were already down to 5mm at 16,000 miles. Consider the rotors and brakes were replaced at 8k.

I’ve made a point out of driving more like a grandma and trying not to use the brakes, even doing the famous NY rolling stop on stop signs considering there’s a sign on every block and that can’t be good for my brakes.

I swear I still feel a subtle vibration, I’m contemplating complaining even though they just replaced the brakes and rotors.

My new tires are holding up better (got Michelins instead of the stock Pirellis) but have feathering which I’m sure is related to the suspension problems, but they disagree stating it’s probably my alignment. However I had gotten an alignment from Sears when I got the new tires, and after they saw the feathering I had Sears check it again under warranty. Both times the alignment was barely off if at all.

I would say they’re seems to be something up with the brakes/suspension system on a lot of volvos. Which sucks because those are parts they like to make you pay for (brakes, tires, alignment, rotors).

Balance your tires first.

If your car has proper alignment readings, the tire could also have a radial pull, which should be covered under the manufacturer warranty. I had to replace my tires once because the tires were naturally pulling to one side, even after 3 alignment checks. Your tire shop will swap the tires from left to right and vice versa to see if the pull switches directions.

I said control arms were replaced, but meant axles. On hindsight I was thinking the control arms failing didn’t make much sense and double checked the paperwork. It was the axles. The right side engine pad failed and was causing the engine to knock against the axle.

I also noticed wheel weights are on the invoice with the tires so it would seem they balanced them. Should I ask if they can recheck them? Maybe they can be thrown off balance from all the pot holes in NYC? Did your tires have a pull even when balanced properly?

Former/current S60/V60 leasee. I’ve had the rotors, and pads replaced on both my cars, had warped pads (done under warranty). Also had an alignment done on both. Seems to have helped with excessive wear, but that’s just me.

:chocolate_bar:

Haven’t had issues with brake pads, but my S60 had all four brake rotors replaced at 13,000 miles due to being warped (vibration when braking).

If you look at the forums, this seems to be a common trend with newer Volvos. Find a good service advisor who understands the common occurrence of warped rotors and they will be able to help you.

I just wanted to update this, it’s the car. I’ve had warped rotors replaced 3 times now and same with the engine mounts. Actually got a settlement over this when I went to lemon law it. It’s in the shop right now as I post this, lol. On a good note, I’m way under miles haha.

3 Likes

My XC60 is in now, I’m picking it up shortly. One of the issues was the squeaking breaks which they inspected and “are fine” (after they replaced around 10k, they’re at 25k now). That alone could steer me away from another Volvo.

The broken AC (“a coolant line became disconnected”) and the air bubble that prevented my rear washer for working the past 5 months were both fixed under warranty.

The squeaky brakes on my V90 CC kill me. I’ve already had the pads and rotors replaced once under warranty. 8 months later they’re squeaking again. Usually goes away after a few minutes of driving, but brakes still feel a little choppy and it annoys me. Will probably schedule a service again soon to have them checked. It’s the only thing that bugs me on an otherwise terrific vehicle.

2 Likes

I wish mine did, always creeping under 10mph (so I’m the loud one in stop-and-go traffic). I realize frequent washing/surface rust on rotors contributes but it shouldn’t be like this constantly when the inspection says everything is green.

1 Like

At Tesla this would all be Within Spec.

1 Like

Because there, getSpec() returns null

1 Like