Volvo S60 needs new tires, brakes, and rotors at 8k miles

If the car is stopped, not moving and just being held by the brake hold, it won’t affect your pads unless your calipers are hanging up and dragging the pads when you start driving, which, while possible, highly unlikely on brand new calipers. The brake hold is the equivalent of you pressing the brake pedal at a stop light, which does nothing to your pads while stopped.

2 Likes

Holy :poop:! Yeah ask if they’ll warranty it, @Anthony_Serianni

They drag a little when hitting the gas. Again not unusual issue apparently on the forums for what it’s worth. The brand new XC40 they just gave me as a loaner does the same, but not quite as much. Don’t really foresee myself getting another Volvo after this one.

I’ve given up on this car. Not sure if I got a lemon or not but I keep going back for vibration in the wheels and they keep changing the brakes and rotors. I have 6 months left I’m tired of taking it in I’m just going to ride it out.

2 Likes

Think of all the miles you are saving dropping it off every 6 months for a day.

3 Likes

Not sure if you are being sarcastic. Some people would probably like this but It’s a PITA. I’d rather just have my car work. And the Volvo dealers in South Florida are very stingy with loaners. It’s not a given you are going to get one.

I was

2 Likes

Warping is fake news, poor terminology. What happens is pad transfer builds up and creates an uneven surface, essentially high spots from when the brakes were hot and the pad stayed clamped onto the rotor. You can avoid this to a certain extent by not stopping completely but sometimes is unavoidable. When rotors are resurfaced, they’re turned on a lathe to remove the pad buildup and a very small amount of the rotor.

I don’t have adaptive cruise control so that can’t be it. And I only use the auto brake feature when I’m at a long light as otherwise the feature is really annoying with my line of work. I turned off the auto-stop/start too, for the same reason as it would shut the car off at every stop sign because I come to a complete stop. I’m trying not to stop so much and just roll through stop signs like I see everyone else doing, I keep forgetting and stopping completely though. I’ve been driving like a super Grandma now as I’m a still shocked about the whole ordeal. I feel like I can’t drive my car for fear I will wear it out a ton. Which is exactly why I got into a lease in the first place, to not have to worry about that anymore.

I know my stop and go taxi-like driving would wear through things faster then normal, and I expected that to some degree, just not this large of a degree. And I get paid per inspection, so I’m incentivised to get to each property as fast as possible. And like I said I do have a heavy foot, I drive harder than your average Joe, but not as hard as your average BMW driver. I mean no offense if anyone drives a BMW, I’m considering one for my next lease now as I think it will handle rougher driving much better. I saw on some BMW forums people are legitimately worried they’re going to blow their engine up from driving the car so hard lol, but I don’t see anybody complaining about a short lifespan on the tires or brakes. Or maybe they just know it comes with the territory?

I have checked some Volvo forums too and it looks like it may be a combination of this being an issue with Volvos coupled with I have a job that puts a lot of stress on tires and brakes. I have read people with mostly highway miles and a light foot getting only 18k so it wouldn’t seem unreasonable that I could have halved that by doing all city miles with a heavy foot. Plus I’ve been trying my best not to brake hard and I still have the auto-brake slamming feature activated multiple times a day because some jerk wants to cut me off with no blinker or some other BS. While it can be over zealous at times, that’s part of why I got a Volvo, people drive crazy in NYC and it’s dangerous when your job involves driving all day.

My brakes are so quite now though. It makes wonder if there was an issue with rotors and brakes before that caused the incessant squeaking and the excessive wear. When I took it in I seriously thought they were going to tell me I had a stick or a rock stuck up in there making all the noise. I never expected them to say I ran out of pad and hit the rotors… I will definitely take it up with Volvo as even with my driving habits, it’s still seems extremely premature, and others are experiencing problems around the brakes and tires too.

Serious question though, knowing how hard BMW’s are driven (I test drove one and just half throttling it put me in my seat and made me say “whoa” out loud, lol), do they go through brakes and tires even faster than me? I ask because I’m really considering a BMW for my next lease as I theorize it will handle rougher driving better as it’s built for that? Correct me if I’m wrong. Or will I get even shorter lifespan from them because they put super sticky tires and super performance brakes on them? I don’t think I’m really that rough on the car though, like I also did the 24 hour test drive with the Cadillac CT6 V6, and for half the day the thing was slamming me into my seat and just felt really jumpy until it learned my driving style and started to cool it down, that means whoever was driving it before me was driving it REALLY hard.

TLDR: I don’t think I drove the car SO hard as to warrant only 8k from the brakes and tires, but what do I know, maybe that’s par for the course with hard driving and a driving job for luxury cars. The Service guy did think I was launching the car though, so that would mean that the wear does seem like it would only be possible under the most extreme of driving conditions. Sorry for the essays… lol

I think your perception of how most BMWs are driven and the reality of it do not align with each other

3 Likes

Just got my v60 back from service. My pads measured at 8mm after 3500 miles. Is the hill hold something you can turn off or on? Doesn’t seem to be a way to change it on my 2018.

I know not “all” BMW drivers drive hard. But just 2 days ago someone was going what looked like 75 down my very tight 25mph street in NYC, it was no surprise to me, a BMW M-Sport. My Prius was in a local garage getting work done and the guy doing the work picked me and my wife up to get the car back, he drove a BMW, and my wife was in the car with us and she thought she was going to die. Dude was doing 100 on the highway, weaving through traffic, going 50 down residential streets, only time he slowed down was to fit by a car double parked, but even then he was going WAY faster then I would’ve for such a maneuver. I don’t know if he was trying to show off or what, but it was quite the experience. I wouldn’t assume people get a 400+ hp car to drive it like your standard 4 cylinder 2L turbo. So does a guy like that change his brakes and tires every 4k miles?

1 Like

Well that sounds like irrefutable evidence to me.

A VAST majority of BMWs sold are 4 cylinders with around 250 HP. Not M cars.

There are many people that drive like ass holes. Some of them drive BMWs. I see just as many people in Civics driving like morons.

And no a guy like that still doesn’t need to change his brakes and tires very 4K

I had an xc60 that went through tires and pads really early, although not nearly as quickly as you.

What is even the point of this thread any more? How is any of this relevant to Volvo?

3 Likes

There is also a big difference between a 2000, a 2011, and a 2019. The technology has changed drastically, even since 2011.

I’ll answer more fully later once I’ve read the whole thread and with my 2019 S60 experience in the same area.

2 Likes

Don’t forget WRX drivers. I feel like they’re always trying to prove something. Yeh I said it.

2 Likes

I actually see mostly middle aged people driving WRX’s around here, can’t even remember the last time I saw someone driving like an ahole in one. In MI it’s the Focus ST drivers that are totally intolerable.

2 Likes

Checks out in NE and Mid Atlantic, but

My experience too in Midwest and West Coast. I saw a ‘13 STI 5dr in Blue :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: yesterday and its Asian dad owner (by himself) drove it like a Volvo Wagon.

Back on topic: my WRX ate rims and tires like no XC90/S90 could ever dream. Breaks and rotors held up 45k miles, not tires or rims.

And the brakes on my XC60 are squeaking so much at 4,500mi it’s going for service next week. I can’t take it anymore.

Bottom line is it seems like there are serious flaws in Volvo’s brakes.