Volvo S60 needs new tires, brakes, and rotors at 8k miles

Nah, they gave me a brand new XC90 loaner for a day or two.
Tires just need to match. Get the cheapest set on bestusedtires.com, with the same specs to be sure

That’s awesome to hear! Hope my experience is the same if I run into the issue.

So basically just whatever tires as long as all of them are the same?

Yep, but I’d get the same as OEM specs and with the tread that is enough to pass, obviously.

I also suspect the Auto Break (when you come to a complete stop, you have to let off break and tap accelerator) may be one (if not the) culprit.

@Anthony_Serianni do you have that enabled?

I have heard that suggested before and you may be right. However there are many cars with this feature that don’t burn through brakes. Is Volvo’s implementation just flawed?

My s90 went through rear brake pads very quickly (replaced at 18k). I never used the auto brake feature. I did, however, use pro pilot constantly

1 Like

Luckily, my wife doesn’t realize her XC90 has these features, but she wouldn’t use them anyway lol

2 Likes

If there is, and enough people don’t take it in for service, Volvo won’t know. Ford/GM/VWToyota find these issue fast because they make and sell so many cars. Volvo is peaking at ~9,000/month.

Good point. I have an S90 with 25K miles I have had my rotors and pads changed 4 times under warranty. I use the auto hold and Pilot Assist constantly. The tire thing is really odd though. Mine still look like new.

Maybe also different OEM tire brands. Conti Pro on my '12 S60 were totally done at 20K

It’s not an R-design. It’s a base model. The sidewall of the tires says 500 for tread wear. It’s only my front tires that were worn to 3mm so I rotated them to the back. And the rotors only needed to be replaced on the front because I ran out of brake pad which chewed them up.

I felt like the brakes were squeaking since I got the car basically, I should have just brought it in. Not to mention the service light coming on early. I just figured I would deal with it at my first oil change. Didn’t expect all of this wear to happen well before the first service appointment.

I do feel like the car can break on a dime, and I’ve probably taken advantage of that. But I’m definitely not driving as hard as everyone drives their BMWs. Is this a problem for that make too, or do they make sure that all of the BMW drivers doing 75 down my block don’t wear through their brakes and tires with their extreme driving?

This is my first luxury car so I was expecting to go from 35,000 miles for these things to maybe 20,000. Definitely not 8,000.

Maybe the car sat on the lot for a long time and rotors got warped.

2 Likes

Rust build up more likely, especially if vibration is felt. It doesn’t go away on its own like after a rain and rotors need to be resurfaced.

heat causes the rotors to warp, not sitting. I’d be concerned with Rust buildup as @XxHaimBondxX indicated, although, in theory, that should get knocked down quick during the first few minutes of drive, to the detriment of the pads, however.

Right, “warping” is actually extremely rare and difficult to do. Most of the time rotors vibrate from grooving or glazing. Before resurfacing I’d try a simple abrasive pad on a drill with brake cleaner to clean the rotors off and get rid of any transferred pad material/high spots, then bed them in real good.

Could also be a wheel to hub alignment issue - if OP is never going above 25MPH it could be totally unnoticeable.

Lots of speculation, need a good mechanic to inspect…

2 Likes

I should’ve put disclosure “I know nothing about warping, just heard from someone” :grin:
Really meant rust, yeah.

1 Like

It’s OK to be wrong. It really is :hugs:

2 Likes

I expected a bit more knowledge from a “trusted hacker”. :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve already PM’ed Michael about this gross abuse of status

8 Likes

I read the Volvo forums every once in awhile, and the brakes and rotors issue for some reason is not uncommon. Some posters had to fight to get it covered under warranty but others got it covered without issue.

When I got my v60 the salesguy warned me too about the auto cruise control can wear out the brakes fast. Mine does the annoying hill hold at every stop light and I’m assuming my pads will get shredded from that.