Volvo EX90, the XC90's Electric Replacement, coming November 9

So a cheaper Polestar 3 without the fancy air + B&W audio system for $80K?

111 kWh battery?

3 row SUV?

Basically competing with the Rivian R1S and forthcoming EV9.

Makes the Lyriq at 65k look even better… unless you need a 3rd row. Anything EV with 3 rows should be in demand and built in the US if you can get one under 80k maybe even some tax credit.

Looks great from the behind. But when you see the face, you see it got the EV syndrome.

Volvo also needs to add better colors. Tired of 9 monochrome choices and 1 blue
Also, EV 9 looks stunning from the pictures so far. Will wait and see the production version and specs

Can see the car from 40:00

1 Like

Volvo needs a wholesale design language overhaul.

Give me nice wheels, please!

The Lyriq is pretty small to me. Saw it in person. A stretched compact SUV that’s more wagon than mid-sized SUV.

I’m hoping this is Telluride/Palisade sized.

3 Likes

Lyriq is NOT and SUV by any means.
Edit: just saw it was said above.

2 Likes

Ah good to know. Similar looking size in photos but you’re right this brings a lot more space to the table.

Not according to Elon. :slight_smile:

Looks like exactly the same current XC90 body…

It definitely has the feeling of just a front and rear graphic facelift

1 Like

That will probably also be our faces when they release the lease pricing.

2 Likes

if the current EVs are any indication, it’ll be gross.

That’s my feeling, as well.

I think it’s pleasantly bland. W/ the focus on aerodynamics and some level of efficient interior-space utilization, I think all SUVs are really rather similar looking on the outside and will mainly be differentiated by their head- and tail light graphics. The headlights are kind of cool. Wonder if individual units shut off (matrix LEDs). I like the general interior design but hate the huge central tablet. Can’t blame Volvo for wanting to out-Tesla Tesla, though.

I also hope all these new green fabrics auto makes are using are a good match for someone who sweats a lot (eg., me). While sitting on a non-porous surface when sweaty is kind of gross, I also like knowing that the material is (edit: is NOT) absorbing my sweat forever. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think this is the key seller here. Not many 7 seat EV’s that can fit adults in rear seasts.

Off the top of my head…Rivian R1S, Model X, Merc EQB(very limited rear leg room). Model Y 3rd row is for memes.

Under $80k seems like a good price point in today’s market.

1 Like

Food price inflation is raging, rents are soaring, loans are being defaulted on, retirement portfolios are down 30%, bills aren’t getting paid, but at least Volvo’s new EV is under $80K. Phew!

1 Like

Looks way better than the first comp that comes to mind (Model X).

IDK why some of these new EVs have such huge rims tho… seems like very low-hanging fruit for extending range.

And these high efficiency wheels don’t even look good. So they sacrificed both range as well as looks.

5 Likes

I think car designs have become so “bulky” (presumably 2/2 safety regs) that designers try to mask the bulk w/ bigger tires. And smaller rims might look a little “silly” on the bigger wheels. So you get bigger rims to reduce the visual impact of all that sidewall.

JMO.

I really don’t understand why others were expecting a completely new design from Volvo. They are minimalistic yet luxurious, still the leaders in seats and sound-system imo. You have the EV front which is typical with design, everything else is Volvo/Polestar style. While the 80k+ price tag is definitely going to open some eyes in terms of shopping for competitors the design itself I feel will grow on people once they see it on the road, the same as the Polestar 2 when it was first released. Let’s not forget Lidar isn’t a cheap system to implement and can cost upwards of 10k for one system add this on top of the fact it’s a 3-row SUV EV and the brand name and that’s how we got the hefty price.

1 Like