Volvo Car Financial Services Buyout Issues - Advice Requested

I’m trying to get out of my current Volvo lease (2020 XC60) with 25 months remaining and as I understand it I’m not allowed to sell my car to a third party dealer. I spoke with VCFS for nearly 20 minutes and the “supervisor” kept telling me I’m ONLY allowed to “sell” my car to an “authorized Volvo dealer,” NOT a third party. Got it, so here’s the problem…

I’ve called nearly EVERY Volvo dealer in the state of Florida and some of them WANT to buy my car, but they ALL keep saying “Volvo will NOT allow us to buy your car!” Whose lying to who? I told them all that VCFS assured me that the ONLY entity I can sell my car to IS YOU, a Volvo dealer! One of them went so far as to try and call VCFS, but they were closed so he told me he sent an email to his district manager and also to the person responsible for VCFS leasing across the country and he will get back to me.

Can someone shed some light on this? It sounds like straight up fraud. I plan on contacting my congressperson tomorrow and filing a complaint with the consumer financial protection board.

Call VCFS again and speak to someone else. I don’t see fraud here, only a mistake.

What’s the mistake you’re seeing?

a volvo dealer is only allowed to buy out your current volvo if you are buying another one. your old car is shown as a trade-in. if you are not getting another volvo, a volvo dealer cannot buy your car out. the dealers are correct. there’s no need to contact any congresspeople - lord knows they’re worthless, anyway.

14 Likes

so the only option OP has is to buy it out himself and resell it ?

that’s right.

1 Like

I fail to see how that matters AT ALL. Why should Volvo care who the heck pays the bill? Whether I buy it or someone else’s money buys it… it shouldn’t matter ONE BIT. I’m not attempting to make a dime off this, I’m simply trying to move on. Either way VCFS is getting paid. To penalize the consumer is completely atrocious! Absolutely plan on contacting my congressperson about this fraud.

1 Like

thats pretty bad because he will have to pay the tax.

How dare they enforce the terms of the contract you signed!

18 Likes

They contractually have to let you buy it for under market value. They don’t have to let anyone else do that.

Can you point out what they’re preventing you from doing that your contract allows?

5 Likes

Contracts don’t always matter when they’re unfair and one sided and cause undue harm. They’re literally cause undue harm for zero benefit what so ever. It’s definitely gotta be illegal.

It is their car and you are only renting it. They let you buy it at a set price, as per your contract. Anything else is at their discretion.

3 Likes

You’re missing the point… I’m trying to sell it to a VOLVO DEALER… not a random third party. I’m not trying to MAKE MONEY, in fact the only one that stands a chance at MAKING MONEY is the dealer and the tax collector!

1 Like

Why did you sign an unfair contract? lol

4 Likes

You can say whatever you want, but you know full well this portion of EVERY LEASE CONTRACT has HISTORICALLY rarely, if ever been enforced. In the situation I’m explaining here they are literally causing undue harm for literally zero benefit. They’re actually hurt their own dealers. How the hell does that make any sense? Their own dealerships would LIKE TO BUY THE CAR, but the company they represent is saying NO. Where is the logic in that? There is absolutely none.

Nobody cares. Read the terms of your contract. The only party that has a purchase option on your vehicle is YOU. Who benefits from a purchase is irrelevant. If you want out, buy it, title it, flip it. Depending on car, you might make a couple of bucks.

3 Likes

Volvo dealers are independent entities. I agree with you these restrictions are very consumer unfriendly though I don’t see anything “illegal” per se. Definitely a reason for me not to lease a Volvo.

1 Like

I’m not trying to make a buck. How about you give me the $45K to purchase it outright to turn around and sell it? Exactly, it makes zero sense.

I didn’t sign a closed-end lease that limits what i’m able to do with my borrowed car, you did. That’s your problem. You asked for light to be shed on your situation. Ample light was shed. Your questions were answered. I’d rather put $45k into Cumrocket.

8 Likes

Talk to VCFS nicely and they may let you terminate your lease for some reasonable $$ amount. Couple of people have done it recently, search.

5 Likes