VinFast VF Series EVs

Totally dead on arrival.

Their battery costs as much or more then even a tesla oem replacements somehow :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I made a post in the Vinfast vf8/vf9 USA Facebook group that I was disappointed with the customer service because I have not heard a lick from them even though I am a Day 1 reservation holder (Jan 2022) and then within the same week I get a call VinFast customer care “checking up on me.”

The east coast expansion is still a little far away they said, fully refundable so we’ll see.

They also said I will be price locked into the original expected pricing that I reserved with

BTW VinFast opened a new store in the Irvine Spectrum CA.

They have a VF9 on display and I got to sit in / play with.
Not sure if I can get used to no display in front of the drivers, but the price $59k is right.

I can tell it’s a prerelease unit as the charging port is an EU IEC62196 instead of a US J1772.
But if you are local and want to see it, the store opened last Thurs.

And boy is the gear selection really funny, each button P D N R in a row spanning 6 inches.

1 Like

On September 18, I joined a group of nearly a hundred journalists, influencers, hopeful VinFast customers, and employees on a chartered flight from San Francisco to Vietnam. Our group crossed the international date line and deplaned near Ha Long Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. From the airport, we took a bus and a boat to VinPearl Ha Long Bay, a resort on a private island owned by Vingroup.

Were they greeted by a bald man petting a cat?
Edit : After reading the article (Which goes pages and pages with no car in sight), wow I’m surprised he survived instead of getting dipped in gold.

Based on the several articles I’ve read and the things I’ve seen about these cars they’ll be dead on arrival.

They’re charging Mustang Mach-E GT level prices for Nissan Leaf EV levels of performance and lower quality.

The segment is growing and now would have been the time to go “value” and cut a slice off and entrench themselves, but not at 60k+.

I really don’t know what’s going to happen, but it doesn’t seem good. Shocked to see the figures.

2 Likes

They’re also in the worst position to introduce a new, possibly confusing payment model.

Imagine a typical US customer who understands you either finance or lease a vehicle, and then try to explain to them that they’ll buy the vehicle and rent the battery.

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

1 Like

Exactly. They’re in for a world of financial hurt. Anyways, I was driving in Oberhausen near dusseldorf, Germany, yesterday and noticed a Vinfast showroom going up. They bought the space of an old used car dealer that had one of those glass tower elevator things with cars in them, similar to carvana’s car dispenser. Interesting.

From what I understand, VinFast is backed by a huge Vietnam conglomerate (VinWhatever) so they may have more capital than most other “startups”.

Their presence at the LA Auto Show was fairly large so we will see.

I do know it’s backed by the VinGroup, I just think they’re execution is amateurish considering the considerable investment that’s been made. They soon be in the “find out” part of this experience.

1 Like

No their execution is RUSHED, this is classic omg we are late so lets put something out or we lose XXX or YYY because of lateness.

I remember Matt Farah on the TST podcast talking about a bunch of influencers getting paid a lot for a certain car brand if I remember correctly. Putting the pieces together he may have meant Vinfast.

I suppose I fail to see the difference between rushed and amateurish.

THIS IS PURELY FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES I AM NOT BROKERING THIS

The newest players in the EV market are here in California with their VF8 City Edition now available for “Special Lease”

VF8 City Edition (ECO TRIM) Lease

$599 p/mo
24 Months
10k miles per year
$5776 Due at Signing
-$4480 Cap Cost Reduction
-$695 Acquisition Fee
-$599 First Months Payment (typo on Vinfast website)

MSRP: $56,700
Residual: $37,442 (66% 24/10)
Incentives: $3000 (City Edition Discount)
Money Factor (estimate): 0.00124

Calculator:

VF8 City Edition (PLUS TRIM) Lease

$699 p/mo
24 Months
10k miles per year
$6789 Due at Signing
-$5395 Cap Cost Reduction
-$695 Acquisition Fee
-$699 First Months Payment

MSRP: $63,700
Residual: $41,405 (65% 24/10)
Incentives: $3000 (City Edition Discount)
Money Factor (estimate): 0.00124

Calculator:

1 Like

I’m confused - are you brokering these deals? If yes, why would someone pay you to get a manufacturer advertised lease offer?

I consider myself an early adopter but I don’t think I’d be the first on a Vinfast unless it was stupid cheap.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion, I was just posting for information and to encourage discussion on EVs

Read the Vinfast review on the other thread, you might want to discourage discussion…lol

I am thinking that at best, Vinfast will be like Hyundai and have low quality for many years until it finally improves. At worst, it will be like Yugo and never improve.

1 Like

They should have released the VF9 first because of the lack of competition in the 3 row EV space.

VF8 won’t sell in the US. Too many other options.