UAW on strike starting tonight

But it’s more than any other country that has better results than us. Why do we spend more on education and get worse results?

When the richest person on earth chooses to come to the US for care when he has any other option money can buy at his disposal it is a powerful proof. Do the people you know go to Russia because they think the care is better? I think not. They go because it’s cheaper.

3 Likes

I think it has more to do with kids and parents being idiots. Whenever there’s an attempt to change anything and/or make it more challenging, parents pull kids out of school and start rioting, so we remain at status quo.

When Dr. Nick in Vladivostok is offering a BOGO root canal special for $29.99, compared to the several hundred you’d need to pay in the US, who wouldn’t go?!

2 Likes

I’d love to debate you on military, healthcare and education but that is a big swing from UAW strike topic:)

1. Having spend most on military doesn’t mean it’s best. It only means it’s the most expensive. Many times in recent US history as soon as body start piling up US politicians withdraw without a win. Russia and China can care less how many bodies it will take to win with bare hand if needed.

2. Having only sultan of Brunei to be able to afford US healthcare and the rest of us need to go to 3rd world countries renders “best healthcare” useless since only top 1% can afford it. Or pray for life you won’t lose employment sponsored health insurance. Isn’t it why medical bills are of the highest reasons people file for bankruptcy in what is considered the richest country in world? Something isn’t right with that.

3. Education… well I can agree on that. Path of dumbing down to average student and parents withdrawal coupled with massive PC staff… most expensive yet least efficient.

1 Like

You make several straw man arguments. Responding to things I never said or inferred.

1. I never said spending the most makes you the best. The only reason I even mentioned the military is it was brought up by another user saying we spend a ton of money on the Military. As far as the US military not being the best every possible quantifiable metric points to the US as #1.

2. I mentioned the sultan to make the point that someone with unlimited resources comes here for care because we in fact we have the best care. It is an absurd assertion that only the 1% can afford healthcare here. 70% of this country has employer sponsored healthcare. I am not defending our healthcare system. It is very broken but that does not change the fact that however expensive it is we have by far the best care in the world. Anywhere with “free” healthcare they have very long waits and inferior care.

1 Like

Liberty University or Hillsdale college?

1 Like

How is the Bolt @bro1999 ? And how come we are talking about healthcare lol… After 2-3 years of driving, would you get another one or recommend someone get one for the current firesale prices?

Teachers went on strike last couple of years in numerous states because they were paid peanuts, most people were supportive, possibly until it was time to raise the school taxes. GM is shutting down factories while enjoying record profits and offering minimum raises that don’t even cover cost of living adjustment. Who am I to judge and tell the employees just take it and shut up?

1 Like

I cannot speak for all teachers but here on Long Island . Them the cops and the rail road workers suck the life out of our taxes. Average property taxes are around 10 a year. After 5 years teachers are making 100k Plus. some can hit over 200k. Supers are making 250k plus. One bad school district needed 300k to keep the sports programs . Turns out the super was making 300k a year. Cops are getting unlimited sick days . Rail road workers with high school degrees and little to no skills are pulling in insane money. One RR worker made 344k just in OT. All this plus Pensions and Benefits FOR LIFE. Public Sector unions have destroyed NY and are doing the same to the nation as a whole.

2 Likes

Not saying there is no corruption or some unions are not ridiculous at protecting bad apples, but please, don’t be so dramatic. If you read only NY POSt, you’ll find many other ways on how NY is being destroyed.

I’m not sure what the NY post has to do with anything . It was the first article I found and attached to point out the level of corruption most unions have reached.

100 percent disagree. We spend 700 billion on out military and succeed in many areas that other countries cannot compete in. That’s not say it’s perfect… it really is not… but we do maintain a competitive advantage in many areas because of it. The United States has not had to ever worry about a full conventional war on its soil in over 200 years.

I’m in Europe right now and the scars of previous wars are evident.

With that said, our healthcare system costs more than military spending and is completely ineffective for reasonably treating moderately challenging medical conditions.

I disagree very strongly with this statement. I’ve worked in healthcare in the UK, Canada and the US. Whilst the US system is by far the most innovative and technologically advanced, it is by far the worst in terms of equitable access. Plus, whilst you may get a test result quicker here, Physicians and Nurses spend more time documenting your case via electronic health records rather than actually spending time with & engaging with patients - I don’t count that as better care.

Yes, the US does have excellent healthcare…if you or your employer can afford it. My team meetings here start with a profit and loss announcement, not about the patients we’re caring for. That’s messed up. It’s bad not only for society but for the economy because those that need healthcare the most are excluded from accessing it which ends up costing us all more in the end anyway. It’s truly an insane system.

The Canadian system which is a mix of the UK and US systems, is, in my opinion one of the best.

3 Likes

Maybe its great if you have a runny nose or a twisted ankle. But for someone with serious issues Canada doesn’t do well.

The movie “The Barbarian Invasions” showed how the Canadian system (and their union labor) just doesn’t seem to help at all.

1 Like

In our time in the Canadian system, my partner had a prolonged stay in hospital and another for an appendectomy. I had extensive dental work done. The total ‘cost’ to us was $0. If you’d like me to convert it to USD that’s $0 and I still paid less tax than I do here in California.

The wider point is that if you have a runny nose or stage IV Cancer….you will get the treatment you need without the fear of it bankrupting you and your family.

2 Likes

Because they are known for pushing a certain narrative of “NY is being destroyed” for decades yet it still stands and actually booming.

Our military spending went off the rails in the last 50-60 years, wouldn’t you say so? After the fall of USSR, what would be a reason why any country would want to invade us to justify these high military costs?

As someone who works in the healthcare industry and was affiliated w/ the facility at which the Sultan of Brunei was getting his US healthcare, I can assure you that it’s not b/c we have the “best” healthcare.

We have a system that has the possibility of excellent healthcare that also lets people w/ unlimited wealth “butt” in line (and that caters to them in other ways by offering more privacy, etc.). That’s not the same thing as “best.”

Again, as someone who works in healthcare, sleep quality is absolutely a quantifiable metric… :slight_smile:

Perhaps bringing this more back on to the topic… Your personal situation is not my business, but perhaps it is easy for you to move. That is not the case for everyone. And it may not be easy for the auto workers to move. Something to consider.

2 Likes

Russia devoted a massive concentrated effort to derail our elections and manipulate our leaders. Ask them why they care if we outspend them.

Damn, this got off rails fast:)
The funny part is debating here won’t change anyone’s opinions:)

5 Likes