TX - lease/immediate buyout questions and i4 deal check

, , ,

I have been reading through the forums for a few days and wanted to get some clarification/guidance.

I am only looking to lease as a means to own a vehicle cheaper than buying it outright.

Here is where I am getting hung up a bit:

I see many examples where the MSRP for a given vehicle is, say, $80k and a lease comes with extensive discounts/rebates, bringing the cost to (as an example) $62k.

Once the deal is made, assuming the terms are relatively favorable and allow for early buyout, does that mean an individual could save nearly $18k by just adding the additional step of leasing?

Is there some glaringly obvious catch that I am overlooking? I am obviously new to this, but I want to make sure I understand before pursuing something like this.

For clarification, I’m looking for an EV/PHEV in the range of $45k-$65k after rebates, discounts, and immediately buying out of the lease. Credit score >800.

Sales tax is the main bogey aside from not being dinged for unearned interest charges.
Aiming for a lower sale price in lieu of a rate bump is good too.

It hurts a lot less when you get lender tax credit on the lease.

I know I’m asking for free advice here so feel free to ignore, but could you put those stipulations into an example?

I get sales tax, but are the unearned interest charges basically like a prepayment penalty?

By rate bump, do you mean allowing the dealer to screw you on the rate to get a lower overall purchase price, and then buyout the lease?

Tax credit in this case would be the 7500 EV credit?

Thanks for the help. I’m in Texas and I am open to working with a broker.

Cars of interest:
BMW - i5, i4
Volvo
Polestar

1 Like

Sent you a DM.

Some lenders may ding you on the payoff for unearned interest from paying early.

IDK about the screwing you part regarding rate markup since the compromise is generally coming in form of a lower sale price (and lower tax burden on both the front and post when you buy out)

Lender tax credit is when the bank only charges you a portion of the sales tax that would normally be due on any sale transaction. (a lease is still a effectively a retail sale in Texas for the purposes of taxation)

Texas taxes the value of the car when you lease. Not on the monthly payments. And taxes you again when you buy the car.

So unless you figure out a way around it you’re effectively paying 12.5% tax instead of 6.25.

Sorry, are you saying there is a way to save money purchasing a vehicle by first leasing it or not? It sounds like as long as the rebates/discounts equate to more than 12.5% than it may still be worth it.

Its only an extra 6.25% since you have to pay 6.25% on a purchase.

The trick is to identify something with TX sales tax credits, do a one pay, and then buy that out.

2 Likes

It’s much more difficult to make it worth your while if registering in Texas.

This changes everything.

None of these cars are worth buying ATM and attaching yourself to depreciation from inflated price points.

Find the best lease among these in the Marketplace including outside Texas brokers who can ship. Ride it out and return it at the end when it’s inevitably underwater.

Thanks. I am really only interested in buying and do not want to lease, so if there is no real benefit to be gained from buying out a lease, I will probably just pass on the lease idea. I don’t need a new vehicle, but from what I was reading, I could potentially save 20k on a new car. It sounds like I misinterpreted the facts based on my location and the cars I was interested in.

Thank you for clarifying though. Much appreciated.

I intend to immediately buy out the vehicle, which is the reason for the bad money factor. Credit score is hovering around 800. Looking to reach out to a few dealers locally, but curious about the feasibility of this deal.

I would reach out to @IAC

1 Like

Then your first problem being in TX is that this isn’t a one pay lease. Ditch the MSDs… they’re doing you nothing. You want a one pay.

Nice. This is the knowledge I was hoping to get.

What’s the make and model?

Just to make it clear, I filled out the calculator.

Looking for a 2024 BMW i4 xDrive40

Maybe a 2023 i4 M50 if a good deal is to be had.

I’m working with @IAC to find something that suits me.

1 Like

A few questions:

If the dealer doesn’t suspect me of buying out the lease, could that help drive the total purchase price lower?

If so, shouldn’t I attempt to make it appear as though I will just take the lease (by taking a higher MF/putting down MSDs/etc.)?

I’m new to this so don’t hesitate to point out the flaws in my logic. I’m here to learn.

Thanks.

The purpose of the one pay is to limit your sales tax liability on the buyout due to how TX does sales tax.

Yes, we can waive the acquisition fee to lower the buyout and have the buyer pay ttl upfront.

1 Like

Oh, so when would I be paying taxes? Assuming I pay them on the one payment lease, and then again when I purchase/register?

1 Like