TX - lease/immediate buyout questions and i4 deal check

, , ,

Correct, but your buyout taxes are on the buyout amount, so you pay the same taxes upfront in either situation, but have a sognificantly lower buyout on the onepay.

One pay does not confer lender tax credit at this time so the saving would be negligible.

Without any lender credits in play, youā€™re paying tax on the value of the car at lease inception.

And then again at buyout.

Important to run the numbers for a pure purchase with purchase rebates vs a lease followed by immediate buyout.

Didnā€™t the RAV4 prime guy pay tax on the value of the car at buyout? Like Texas dmv didnā€™t care what the buyout price was, they went by their own valuation IIRC

That definitely changes the math

1 Like

Well shit, so if I understand correctlyā€¦

Example scenario:

MSRP: $75k
Sale Price: $65k

Taxed on $75k (value) = ~$4700

Taxed on $75k (value) again (because immediate buyout) = $4700

Sale Price plus Taxes ~= MSRP before tax

If there are TX sales tax credits available, then do whatever you can to get those. If no onepay, then onepay is off the table. Sounds like @IAC has you taken care of here.

1 Like

The double taxation on the full purchase price when leasing and then again when buying out the lease essentially nullifies the good deals that brokers can get for you. I am exaggerating a bit obviously, but it does reduce the ā€œdealā€ effectiveness by a lot.

For example:

MSRP: $72k
Sale price: 64,800
Rebates/incentives: 8500
Total cost after buying out: $68k

Does anyone have advice for leasing and subsequently buying out in Texas while maximizing savings?

The best thing to do in TX is focus on something that gets sales tax credits

1 Like

No guarantee on when that happens but one could always order on spec and if they happen to be back when the car arrives thereā€™s no reason why we would not confer it if itā€™s available.

Iā€™d be fine with putting in the order, as long as Iā€™m not obligated to purchase if the credits donā€™t actually come through. Thoughts?

Curious why do you actually want to buy out an EV ? Why not just lease it for the entire term and get into something elss ? Is mileage the issue ?

This may be something I should consider more heavily, but it doesnā€™t make sense to me to rent things (not saying it is actually bad though). I always paid cash for cars and I never spent >$10k on a vehicle. Now I am in a much more fortunate position in life and I kind of want a nice car.

For me, the idea of dropping 72k on a 72k car seems insane and I wonā€™t do it, but spending 60k on a 72k car somehow makes ā€œmoreā€ sense in my head.

Again, Iā€™m definitely not saying Iā€™m right, and Iā€™m open to hear other opinions/justifications, but itā€™s hard for me to spend so much money on something to just hand it back.

Rather than think of it like that, think of it like youre purchasing with a guaranteed repurchase price after 3 years.

Now compare the total cost of that purchase option vs a normal purchase. Realistically look at used values and think about how your guaranteed repurchase price compares to what the market has actually been doing. Look at your total cost of ownership in both circumstances. How does it actually compare price wise?

Sorry but you should really look into resale prices of 2022 and 2023 model year EVs and you will realize that even paying 60k on a 72k ev wouldnā€™t make sense. Depreciation on EVs is a lot different than the regular ICE vehicles. If an EV is your only consideration for a new car, than I suggest you reveiw some threads in the Shared Deal sections to understand the deals specifically on EV leases.

3 Likes

The sticker was an arbitrary number to begin with. Its main purpose is to make one assume itā€™s a luxury product due to the price and to make one assume a big discount makes it a good deal.

The secondary market for these overpriced cars is very thin. So take advantage of that and buy, say, a 2022 Polestar 2 for $28k or lease one despite the suboptimal tax situation. Just donā€™t make the mistake of thinking $60k plus double tax is any kind of ā€œdealā€

2 Likes

I found what I consider a good deal on a 2022 M50. Iā€™m interested in hearing thoughts on the deal though.

Additionally, the $2.5k shipping charge seems excessive, but I am unsure what is considered typical. Is shipping cost something I can negotiate?

Thanks!

You in Texas? Talk to @IAC

But permaplate/shipping for 2500 LOLOOOL

Edit : has Michigan address

1 Like

Permaplate is just a bs dealer add on. Your selling price here is simply $56490.

Shipping to PR?

1 Like