TrueCar Instant cash offer: Final update

Cmon I know you’ve got some creative chirps up your sleeve, lets hear em

Hi @nycsimone,

As co-founder of this site, and an author of editorial content here, I want to emphasize that @littleviolette and I do not pick sides in community conversations. The purpose of this forum is that users are free to post what they want – provided they comply with community guidelines – and in this case, the post you created resulted in some people disagreeing with the approach you took.

I believe members of our community shared their honest perspectives on the best approach to hack a deal. From my experience, the approach of being combative with a dealer doesn’t work. Rather, it’s better to step away and not take it personally, and instead, know the market conditions, the applicable programs (RV/MF/incentives), and cast a wide net of dealers to get the lowest possible price for the market.

While I understand you disagree, and I apologize for not responding to your correspondence in time, we stand by our editorial content telling consumers to watch out for algorithm-generated quotes as lead generation tactics. In our personal experience, not every dealer will honor an algorithm-generated quote, and it’s helpful and important that consumers know about this when in the market. In fact, that CDJR dealer webpage in question is still unchanged from before, based on historic screenshots I took, and customers are still able to obtain an algorithm-generated quote through the Accu-Trade widget (the public facing page itself never mentioned TrueCar).

Cheers!

31 Likes

I keep my personal thoughts to myself. We are only here to help and service the LH community.

(dealer banter is way better over a few drinks and omakase anyway)

:laughing:

8 Likes

The customer facing page of the dealership has changed. The TrueCar link has been removed and replaced with a CarFax “estimate” and a KBB offer page. There is no mention of TrueCar on their website.

Also, the article you posted in an effort to refute my position you show a paragraph of the TrueCar TOS which states that they are under no obligation to make a cash offer or estimate. The issue is that in my case they did make such an offer and what you referenced from their TOS is irrelevant because of it. You can disagree with me if you’d like, but the Attorney Generals office and TrueCar sided with me. Therefore, mine isn’t just an opinion.

So did the dealer buy your vehicle for the TrueCar price in the end?

11 Likes

If I recall correctly, OP became irate and demanded answers when the dealer wouldn’t agree to True Car’s terms as stated in writing. If he was not adamant, I’m pretty confident the dealer would have given him a terrible price for his car. This is why I would never have my wife go to a car dealership by herself. Sometimes we need people like @nycsimone to raise a stink to keep the shady dealers in check.

1 Like

TrueCar made me a different offer worth $2,000 more thru a different dealership. I still have the vehicle and will keep it until I find a replacement.

12 Likes

Hi @nycsimone,

Sorry that we missed your PM. @michael and I get a lot of messages everyday and don’t always have the capacity to respond to every one of them, given we, like most members here, have a full-time job outside of Leasehackr. We created Leasehackr to share our passion for cars and deals. We are largely a crowdfunded community and do not profit from your transaction with TrueCar, dealers, or brokers. Our Super Supporters are the sustaining donors of the site and Trusted Hackrs are community nominated members to help keep the platform clean and informative.

We are glad that you were able to find a solution to your matter.

12 Likes

You have missed the mark about this community OP.

There’s no need to feed the OP’s ego by trying to reason with him. It’s fruitless.

3 Likes

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

3 Likes

Confirming, you received the offer from the original dealer you opened a thread about. They didn’t honor it and you took it up with TrueCar.

Now, Truecar got you $2000 more than the original offer the first dealer didn’t honor, and you’re not taking it?

19 Likes

You wasted money on that popcorn this movie stinks.

2 Likes

I bet some of you thought OP wouldn’t be posting here again

1 Like

Don’t forget the Attorney General.

GIF by NBA

2 Likes

I disagree about the point of this community.
The point (I think) is to get good/great deals on cars.
That includes not getting ripped off when selling your car.

One commenter posted in OP’s other thread that he received a good offer from a distant dealer.
He then drove 100+ miles each way, only to get a significantly worse quote when he arrived.
He said he didn’t mind and left.
Well, he is a much better man than I.
There is no way I would have been as understanding or calm.

2 Likes

No, I’ve received similar offers so it’s not some amazing number that nobody else can come close to. The offer with the first dealership was more lucrative because of the tax credit since it would have been a trade-in and not a straight up sell.

I think you are also missing another point of this community is to share information & help others.

My comment was in relation to OP’s accusations about below…

I still stand by my comment that OP is missing the mark.

That is what OP did. He shared info on his bad experience with one particular dealer.
That will help me and perhaps others in dealing with certain dealership(s).
I have had 2 outstanding experiences with 2 brokers on LH.
I have gladly shared that info.
If, unfortunately, I have a bad experience with a broker/dealer, I will share that too.

Sharing a bad experience is encouraged. However someone that involves the attorney general on such a trivial issue tells you more about the customer than the dealer…

3 Likes