Toyota Mirai DMV renewal

Hi Guys,

Today I got the letter from DMV for next year renewal of my 2019 Toyota Mirai.
It is the first time I see that high value! I did not know we have to pay license fee every year!
$522 in total? Even my Mustang was totally $350!

I thought California is supporting green cars!
That was a bummer!

If you got a CVRP rebate, they did.

That’s roughly what the renewal on my XC60 was, so it doesn’t look high to me. I’ve never heard of CA DMV subsidizing registrations (new or renewal).

Yeah I got the CVRP!
I was just shocked! Mustang was 350 and Mirai is 522! a little funny :slight_smile:

Check out the sticker price of Mirai vs mustang

1 Like

Sounds about right for CA… Not sure why you’re surprised

1 Like

That is correct!
Mirai is 60k and Mustang was 35k! Based on MSRP makes sense.

I was shocked because everything they did until now was supporting this kind of cars like providing CVRP.
I would not get shocked on a 60k BMW!

$4500? Pays a lot of $500 registrations until you turn the lease in. I’d say it pays for a lot of Hydrogen fills too, but Toyota took care of that I assume.

Actually CVRP was 5k on the time that I applied.
For hydrogen also you get a free MasterCard with 15k inside. So literally fuel is free for you.
So at the end it is a very sweet deal! No complain at all. Actually It spoiled me. And when I saw this $522 looked too much :slight_smile:

You got incentives everywhere for driving a clean fuel vehicle. DMV wants their pound of flesh no matter what you drive.

When you bought/leased the car, you paid even more for the first year’s registration.

In some states (such as Oregon), fuel efficient vehicles are charged a higher registration fee than non-green cars, since the owners of those cars do not pay as much gas tax since they use less gas.

1 Like

Write your local congress, senate and governor if you want change.

3 Likes

I also have the 2019 Mirai and when I saw the paperwork for it I noticed the DMV fees. I also have a 2019 BMW i3 and they charged me 512. In CA they base registration off the cars value from when you bought it so it’s understandable that its that high…

I had no idea what the Mirai was. Looked into it, seems pretty revolutionary. Interestingly, no hydrogen fuel stations on the eastern seaboard…

1 Like

Yeah that sneaky DMV! they want some share :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is a valid point! Did not know that they charge more the efficient cars because they do not pay the gas tax! That makes sense more now!
Thank you for the info!

1 Like

Yeah! so it will not matter if it is a 8 cylinder corvette or a Mirai as long as they have similar MSRP!

1 Like

Yeah it is a pretty neat car! I am super happy with that and no issue at all! Specially the feeling of not paying for fuel is awesome!

Luckily I have several station around me and my work. Works perfect in my case. But to be honest it looks revolutionary but implementation and fuel station makes it not that much practical to compete with electrical!

2 Likes

Yes california charges annually for registration, yes it is pricey, yes water is wet.

3 Likes

CA never met a tax it didn’t like

2 Likes

The Franchise Tax Board just mailed me a check equal to 2 Volvo payments, a refund on my 2019 taxes which were filed and paid correctly in March. Apparently it didn’t like those taxes.

1 Like