Tons of Unsold 2018 Inventory

I don’t think you understand how sexy the 2018 Accord truly is. According to your calculations you’re gonna end up in a Honda Junior with an Italic H aka a Hyundai and feel shame for dishonoring your family! Okay I need to get some work done now - it’s been fun boys!

FYI really good lease specials on Pilots and Accords right now. Not for Odysseys because we know your kids are gonna fuck them up and residuals reflect that :joy:

13 Likes

I’m also curious what a mooch offer is?

2 Likes

Any standard LH offer is generally a mooch offer.

7 Likes

a Mooch offer …

4 Likes

If you’re carrying a left over car(or many) this late into the year, you’re probably doing something wrong. Time to cut your losses and let it go. Losing $3k plus on a couple cars is better than running out of inventory prematurely, it’s just part of doing business, hopefully your new car manager has enough experience to order/sell down/or trade out of cars

1 Like

That is one big mystery of dealership inventory management logic hasn’t been explained anywhere. Almost like one needs to go undercover into this specific position to then report the findings :smiley:

I bet some of them end up at auction or have a used dealer they eventually just unload to.

CYA management explains much of it

1 Like

No mystery to it. Price it to move or sit on it till you can stands no more.

It’s all about the floor plan, having cars with birthdays is a big no no. Usually the manager will put a flat commission on left overs to encourage his sales staff to resolve the issue for him, this can also apply to old stock vehicles. It’s really something you need to manage and focus on, you can’t just leave that 200 day old car in the back lot or the last row, clean that thing up and throw it on the showroom floor.

1 Like

How many are Black Claritys?

I only have two 2019 Claritys…I haven’t seen an 18 Clarity in months.

1 Like

As @HondaSoCal said, one option is to put it into loaner status. Since you are already going to take a hit, why not get utility out of it first. In some dealers, selling/leasing a loaner (to a non LH) is still profitable.

One birthday is bad: a buddy in the business once took over their Mitsubishi store and had cars there whose birthday cakes needed so many candles they needed to either go or get on a waiting list for kindergarten. He cleaned up their new and used inventory in 90 days. One of the few I’ve met who looked at all of sales as a portfolio, not just making money in one pocket and hiding the expenses/writeoffs in another department.

See also Mitsubishi’s best cars ever list

1 Like

No this is wrong. You LIE and say you’ll make it a loaner and then keep being stubborn. It has been a successful strategy so far.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first time, won’t be the last.

1 Like

I know what I have!

5 Likes

Would seem logical, but if it’s never been titled not usually no. Spiffs remind the sales people “there is a butt for every seat”. Eventually a “get me done” comes in and a strong sales/finance team knows how to flip them to “you need a car? Congratulations sign here.”

The only problem is when you have WAY too many of something no one wants, but the manufacturer isn’t shocked when (for instance) they are sitting on 50 unsold Darts or Chrysler 200s, they eventually put some cash on the hood until most of the strays find new homes.

2 Likes

Car Gurus is showing thirteen 2018 Jag Wags for sale in the Boston area. Some are getting close to 600 days on the market.

1 Like

Oh JagWag… Found cheapest ($42k) loaner in Dallas and had very interesting email conversation with sales rep. They were willing to lease and sent me quote where I found MSRP renamed to “CVR” and about 12k lower. Crazy stuff. Car has been sold today according to CarGuru. That was CPO.

2 Likes

And there they will stay until they get repatriated to Russia by any number of methods.

1 Like