Mitsubishi’s best cars ever list

Sounds like an oxymoron coming from this brand, and some of this list is reaching a bit, but they have had some winners, albeit nothing much recently…

https://carbuzz.com/features/mitsubishi-cars-we-miss

Most enthisiast will jump straight to the evo, but pre fast & the furious days, the galant and the lancer was good competitor to other japanese brands in Asia and the middle east

1 Like

Montero from the 80s, yes, but not the POS they picture in the article. And listing Lancer generations separately is cheating, IMHO. Probably because they couldn’t come up with enough models otherwise. :wink:

and the Diamanté? WTF? LOL.

1 Like

3000gt vr4 was an affordable, high tech sports car for its day. Heavy and a bitch to work on were 2 drawbacks.

I’d rock one today if I could find an unmolested low miles one at a decent price.

Likewise with the DSM trio. The Mitsu 2.0 engine was one of the best 4 bangers ever provided you kept up with maintenance. The Chrysler 4 banger in the low end units…not so much. Finding one today that hasn’t been riced up by a kid with cheap EBay parts is probably as rare as a Cleveland championship.

6 Likes

Lol true. Im sure there are some hidden gems out there in garages but finding them is tough.

AFC North is ours this year! :football:

:bat:

Where’s the “unlike” button?

:bat:

1 Like

Great list. But they missed the c2005 Endeavor, which was like a Jeep Grand Cherokee but never broke down. My buddy sold Mistu/VW/Subaru at the time, picked me up in his Endeavor demo, and when I asked him what it was he said, “The thing about the Mitsubishi Endeavor, besides the fact that it’s like driving a Panasonic boombox, what it says about the driver is ‘my name is Berta and I clean houses for a living’.”

I have never before or since heard a better description of a car interior than calling that one a Panasonic boombox.

And the 3000GT was so hawt at the time. And the early Eclipses. They had some great cars but lost their way. At one time their financing bought deeper than anyone else too.

That’s part of the thing that nearly killed them. 1) The coupe market drying up. 2) The 0,0,0 promo at the beginning of the century which had everyone with a 500 credit score snagging up Mitsubishi’s for 0 payments for 12 months, then defaulting, causing them to sell them for less than it cost to build, as well as put pressure on the new car prices in addition to used. 3). Trying to use the same platform for the Eclipse, Galant and Outlander, causing none of them to handle particularly well.

Bad direction at the turn of the century coupled with bad luck and consumer taste shifts led us to the garbage they’re putting out today.

1 Like

I think my uncle rocked a Diamante back when I was in high school. It is hard to remember because he had pretty much every car on the planet, for a few months at least, until they repossessed it. I remember when the Impala SS came out and he was trying to get my Dad to cosign…