Thought about buying an electric car? NJ may soon offer one of the nation's best incentives

This is what I wrote.

Please PM me if you need this

Bluestar

8 Likes

You can find the contact information to email the state senators and reps here:

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/abcroster.asp

You can email more than one legislator at one time if they are in the same legislative district.

4 Likes

Thank you for your service.

Spamming it hereā€¦4 build to order for i3 REX available in NJā€¦scratch that 3ā€¦Iā€™m taking one!

Hereā€™s a list of 2020 vehicles that are tax free in n.j. canā€™t tell for sure if the i3 Rex qualifies or not.

Never understood why the dealer location matters. Itā€™s the same BS here in Texas as well, icing on the cake it eliminates Teslas and thatā€™s why there are still 1,400+ available rebates 3 quarters into the FY.

Politics and Lobbying. All about $ flowing back and forth between buddies.

This is true for many industries though, itā€™s all about who you know and who likes you.

Ding ding ding. Iā€™ve said it before and Iā€™ll say it again, car dealer associations are so effective because they grease all the wheels. The dealership owners are very partisan but the lobbying orgs are not.

https://www.followthemoney.org/entity-details?eid=8114&default=contributor

The vote on the actual bill is interesting from a political perspective. It had wide bipartisan support but six GOP house members were present yet bstained from voting. All had accepted significant sums from the auto dealership association. Almost like they couldnā€™t bring themselves to support this bill but didnā€™t want to go on the record opposing the auto dealers association.

You donā€™t get the full 5 grand with the i3, you get a portion depending on the electric range. I believe it is 25 dollars per mile of electric range, up to $5000. Rex does qualify.

I was asking about no sales tax in n.j. on electric vehicles.

The list says ā€œall modelsā€, I believe that the Rex is tax free since itā€™s still primarily an electric car with a range extending motor, not a hybrid.

I saw that bolt up above for $50 in the calculatorā€¦ I want one. Thought Iā€™d rather a nicer car then a bolt. Unfortunately, $55k isnā€™t a lot of money for an EV.

Yes rex is tax free

Any headway / success stories for out of state purchases (or lease)?

Nope and my state assemblymembers have completely ignored my email.

:frowning:
Looks like we are out of luck.
I am thinking of listing it on swapalease

I am in the same situation. My assemblywoman was as useful as a poop flavored lollipop - excuse the Dodgeball reference.

Next step is to appeal to the board of public utilities per their direction. If that doesnā€™t work, Iā€™ll take them to court. I have legal insurance through my employer. Hopefully it wonā€™t come to that. This is what I received today from CHARGE UP. Hope this leads to something good:

"Thank you for your email and explain the situation. We are in the process of evaluating whether your eligibility is acceptable. We will let you know if there are any changes to the requirements based on your feedback"

Keep pestering your assembly-person and keep appealing people. Itā€™s plain wrong to change the rules in the middle of the game.

4 Likes

Sounds like my check was finally mailed!

5 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::unicorn::unicorn::unicorn:

Awesome hack