Thought about buying an electric car? NJ may soon offer one of the nation's best incentives

Hopefully this will pass. If it does I am wondering if you get to waive the sales tax as well as the 5K rebate.

Hooray. More tax money to give rich people to buy cars.

6 Likes

More than just rich can benefit from this, not every EV is a Tesla, yknow.

6 Likes

probably dumb question wasn’t there a rebate that got removed? I know NJ waives the sales tax. I guess they are bringing rebates back again. not that any electric car is desirable to me ATM except for this

https://www.lotuscars.com/cs-CZ/model/evija

ill take a rebate for that one

NJ is broke enough. Waiving the sales tax is a generous incentive as it is. I don’t see a need to provide anything additional. At least there is a cap of $55k, but I think it would be better at $45k to eliminate more Model 3s.

2 Likes

Poor people don’t buy very many new cars.

1 Like

Interesting. Maybe going to test drive a model 3 just for the future…

I finally agree with this statement! I have no interest subsidizing electric cars.

1 Like

But when they do would you rather they buy an Altima or a subsidized Bolt? I go for option two.

1 Like

I have no interest in subsidizing wars in arab nations, coal extraction but here i am doing it. Truth is it’s hard to find something that is not subsidized directly or indirectly.

2 Likes

wonder if it will apply to leasing. I have been eyeing the remaining 2019 Bolts around here, which are already being offered for ~$258 with first month DAS via Rodo. Another $5k would make it a total no brainer.

NJ gas tax was to fix the roads right? Then they bumped it because it wasn’t enough money (used for other things). I’m still overloading on caffeine to dodge nuke craters and we didn’t even have a major snow storm yet

Ill take that EV incentive, thank you.

6 Likes

I prefer whichever choice doesn’t involve other people’s money.

1 Like

Update: The measure has passed the Legislature and now goes to the governor

this EV bill will make the i3 a money maker!

Tried to read through the bill and looks like leases count too. I couldn’t see if it states how many months you have to have the lease (NY is 36 months). If there is an oversight and they didn’t specify, this will be amazing.

1 Like

The msrp cannot be above $55,000 for the credit. Since Tesla lost federal credit this will push sales of the model 3. Along with no sales tax in NJ on EV vehicles.

I3 inventory is a big issue and if there is so much rebate, the dealers will not blow them out that easily. Still if you can find one it will be a pretty good deal if the bill goes through.

1 Like

@hn308 You will find a way, I believe in you! You are responsible for the i3 hack for 2 years back!

2 Likes

I would think that manufacturers will just decrease the amount of incentives for people in NJ. Curious as to how long it will take to implement this program once this is signed.

1 Like

No that’s too complicated and each state has different incentives already