Thought about buying an electric car? NJ may soon offer one of the nation's best incentives

Well let’s make sure the check clears :sweat_smile:… And I think someone actually beat me on this and got paid a little bit to drive it, unless they got screwed by that whole in state/out of state nonsense. Too bad the E Tron has such an inflated MSRP, you could have some fun with one of those in NJ if you could find a 55k msrp, with loyalty and Costco.

1 Like

so true…

1 Like

Well it took a lot longer than I expected, but then again I also didn’t expect a pandemic in between applying for and receiving it. From the looks of it, Jersey outsourced the program to existing agencies in California?

3 Likes

Yep, that’s where all my 6 checks came from.

Did some digging…
“ CSE provides the following comments based on uor experience administering statewide, regional and local clean vehicle and distributed energy resources (DER) programs. This work includes administering statewide plug‐in and fuel‐cell electric vehicle (EV) rebate programs in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York; California’s flagship electric vehicle…”

Well, discerning eyes will notice it is check number 23. So you are 23rd person to get Jersey rebate. Assuming the “center” does a new account per program it manages.

2 Likes

It does look like a sequence. Mine was 327xxx last year in CA…which means quite a few ev owners didn’t qualify/apply for the rebate.

Enjoy your rebate check. I am one of the ones who got suckered out of the out-of-state nonsense.

Have you reached out to any of the people running the program or any state/local reps? They really did screw that part up for some people and it’s really not fair that their wording was so ambivalent.

I did. I am still going back and forth with them since the day they started accepting applications in May. Wrote to my local rep, who is also a co-sponsor of the bill, but didn’t get any traction there. Next step, I will appeal to the Board of Public Utilities. If that doesn’t work, I will take them to court as a last resort. I hope it gets resolved favorably before any of that happens.

1 Like

When you say ”didnt get any traction” does that mean it was a no or just ignored complete?
Should you request a audience in person with that said rep?

Find a different rep… at this point I wouldn’t even care if they were local.

Obviously some of these guys are in the pocket of vested interests, which is how the in-state BS got snuck in. Illegally IMO, if the text of the legislation didn’t require it.

1 Like

I wrote to my two reps and was totally ignored - didn’t even receive a response to my emails. Not impressed really!

It’s fine, as I didn’t get the rebate I have the option to sell my out of state e-Golf (for a profit) and buy a Tesla Model Y which will then qualify for the rebate.

That’s what I suspected. I guess they wanted to see how persistent you are going to be if they just ignore the problem:)

If I wasn’t planning to sell I would have pushed a lot harder. I still think it’s ridiculous but I guess the legislature has bigger things to worry about right now?

That’s’ what they want you to think :slight_smile:
That there is always bigger crysis than your issue.

I wrote to all 36 (?) co-sponsors of the bill. My rep was one of them. Only three responded LOL! Two of them positively, saying they will look into it but nothing seems to have come of it. My rep replied saying they cannot force out of state dealers to honor the rebate. So, the person who responded probably didn’t get what I was saying. I replied back saying this is not a dealer rebate but haven’t heard from them since.

Yep. Hey - you aren’t bankrolling their reelection campaign so no need to talk to you unless to really press. Typical politicians.

Hmm…you may be onto something here.
Maybe I will wait until my appeal to the Board of Public utilities is denied and I will then contact the press - NJ.com, Star Ledger and anyone else who reported this bill. Create a big enough stink and maybe I won’t have to resort to suing them.

1 Like

So, I went ahead and emailed the governor’s office because I saw this

https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/562020/20200210a.shtml

This clearly does not mention the out-of-state purchase condition, as early as Feb 10. And also, Page 2 of this document P.L. 2019, CHAPTER 362

Which states

“Eligible vehicle” means a new light duty plug-in electric vehicle, with an MSRP of
below $55,000, purchased or leased after the effective date of P.L.2019, c.362 (C.48:25-1 et
al.) and registered in New Jersey.

Join in people. I would rather get my entire 5K instead of sharing it with a class action lawyer.

2 Likes

Hi, a thought,

Full disclosure: I’m a broker on this forum pushing Hyundai EV leases in NJ. But also an avid EV enthusiast and proud New Jersey resident. So, obviously, I am biased.

Based on my experience leasing an electric car in NJ from before Jan of 2020, and the current used car market, it seems like there is a potential solution to this problem that would be much smoother and cheaper than a class action lawsuit.

If you got a great deal on your electric car out-of-state, you may be in a positive equity position for a trade-in or sell. You should evaluate selling your car to Carvana, Vroom, KBB Instant Cash Offer, Carmax, or a regular dealership, if you can get at or near your payoff.

Then simply lease a new electric vehicle in NJ with the new rebate and claim your $5k rebate check.

The market is very weird with EVs, some regions pay a lot more for them than others, and some brands have more favorable buyouts than others.

I do sincerely feel for those that bought a car thinking a $5k check would be coming only to find out they were ineligible.