This good lease on a 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport?

2020 Tacoma TRD Sport Dbl Cab 4x4 Auto Short Bed
10k/36mo
I realize there’s brokers here that could get me this car cheaper on the coasts and ship to MN - but is this ok for a regular dealer quote?

Orig MSRP: 38,333
(in order to make the calculator I adjust the MSRP down to 35,000)
Residual: 26,449
MF: .00120
Mileage Adj: +2%: 766.66
Adjusted Residual: 27,216
Acquisition: 695
Sales Tax: 7.775%

Sign and Drive - no money up front/down - 343.26/mo

1 Like

It sounds like you know you could get a better deal but you’re pricing the convenience of going to your local dealer at several thousand over the life of the lease?

That doesn’t seem worth it.

A broker quoted me 290/mo excluding some fees. So that would save me about 2k? I’m such a moron when it comes to this lease stuff so any help appreciated!

$343-$290 = $53 a month
$53*36= $1908

1 Like

I am significantly less than your payment all in $0 drive off for 24/10 on a 47k msrp tundra through one of those brokers you mention… it boils down to how much is a local transaction worth to you, which is something really only you can answer. And it will either be more or less than the difference, and your choice will be made.

But on your deal specifically … is your dealer using toyota financial or a third party? Have you asked them to run the numbers through other sources? Residuals on tacomas and tundras are ridiculously high on the broker deals, definitely higher I think than the numbers you quoted above - perhaps there is room to negotiate further … or maybe another toyota dealer close to you works with more banks.

My advice, go with a broker and save the dealer back and forth headaches.

1 Like

For my first lease not sure I can handle dealing with someone over email/phone - and then to have to deal with the shipping part. So out of that 1908 I’d have to take off 6-700 for shipping. Not sure about broker fee too.

Dealer is using US Bank. Thanks again!

Why are you doing this?

1 Like

Adjusted because it doesn’t specifically say what the sale price is - just MSRP and out the door 343/mo price. Hmm now that I type that …

Bare minimum, before signing any deal, I’d recommend at least getting all the numbers so you can properly evaluate it.

3 Likes

Without any work, just emailing the dealer for a quote, I received $337/month with $337 due on a $45,500 Tacoma TRD Sport. That’s all in, taxes, everything included. It’s through Ally at 39 months with 12K mile allowance. I’m actually thinking I can shave another $12/month off of this.

1 Like

I’d love to try to shave. I’ve contacted several Toyota dealers and they’re all about the same. My current preferred guy says he can’t go lower.

So you’re also admitting even with the car getting shipped to your door, you’re still probably going to save at least $1300, but you’re not sure you can “Deal with someone over email or the phone?”

You’re dealing with us right now through the internet. If you can type a message to us, or email a dealer, you can email or call a broker.

For $1300+ that seems like a pretty easy way to get the car you want, delivered to your door for a couple of phone calls? Esp if that number could be higher if you haven’t finalized a car or deal with your dealer.

5 Likes

I think you need a new preferred guy :crazy_face:

Work with a broker and take a road trip. I drove back from Philadelphia to Central WI in my new Tacoma. Great chance to get to know vehicle,and ride was better than expected.

5 Likes

You make good points I admit!

You must have the nicest dealership on the planet if dealing with them in person trying to lease a car is preferable to one of the LH brokers … although I suppose if the salesman is going to just throw out an inflated monthly price, with no underlying numbers, and have you sign it they are probably pretty nice to deal with. Personally I’d rather have my teeth pulled than sit in the dealer chair.

As someone pasted in this thread … I would think you would be more in the $2xx range all in on a sub 40k taco …

My deal was done without a single email or phone call - about 20 texts total and could have been less if I wasn’t chatty.

There is also the satisfaction of bringing your “impossible unicorn deal” taco into the dealership who refused to sell one to you for your first free 5k service. Thats sort of priceless.

1 Like

I am so looking forward to this. The one salesperson I worked with said “leases just don’t exist anymore less then 350/month”. Yeah,okay.

4 Likes

Final dealer offer: 329 sign and drive / 39mo / 12k miles / Orig msrp: 39,501

Might have to look for a broker if they can get me below 3.

They won’t divulge the MF - they say “you got the payment right there” - I hate when they do that.

That’s because they are making money off of an inflated MF. A dealer that won’t disclose all of the numbers, especially if you ask for them, is not a dealer you want to do business with.

3 Likes

5.99% is correct Base MF for Ally… that part of the deal is fine. Where the deal is terrible on is the dealer discount. They are only giving you 6% off. Work on this part of the deal, 12% is attainable

1 Like

Thats the art of leasehacking, the dealer is trying to make as much profit as possible and you are trying to hack into that profit. Or you pay a broker who already negotiated a low price. Classic case of how much is your time worth, and how good of a negotiator are you.

3 Likes