The Tesla Landfill. Shame. Shame. Shame

They could give f all about safety but you can bet they’ll weaponize regulations to target Tesla specifically as they get ready to kick production into overdrive and introduce a new model.

Maybe eventually? Don’t love the breathless tone of this article (Tesla recall: Why it’s so bad, and how the government fell asleep at the wheel.), but the info is interesting

The “remedy” will be a free over-the-air software update for Tesla owners, who will be notified of its availability by April 15.

One can reasonably assume that FSD owners will receive some kind of patch by that date. But how confident can they or the public be that it actually fixes the serious problems NHTSA identified? Missy Cummings, a professor of engineering at George Mason University who recently left a position as a senior advisor at NHTSA, has her doubts.

“Even if you work 24/7 for the next 60 days, I’m not sure there are enough hours to adequately address all the issues NHTSA has raised,” she told me.

Assuming Tesla does claim to have resolved the FSD problems that NHTSA has flagged, Americans may well have to take the company’s word for it. Why is that? Because the U.S. does not require that automated car technology be tested and approved for safety before being offered to the public. That goes for initial systems as well as for over-the-air updates.

More thoughts from Dr. Cummings here:

There’s an update I’ll be opting out of. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Have you read about the new head of NHTSA, whose been acting in the job forever?

Steven Cliff was nominated in 2021 and left CARB, the Senate let his nomination time out. He was appointed again in Jan 2022, approved out of committee in March 2022, was appointed in May 2022, and by September Ann Carlson was acting in the job — now headed for confirmation. I’m worried he may have fallen down a well.

Whatever agenda they’re running, they haven’t had one in the role, permanently, long enough to do much of anything.

A permanent NHTSA director along with all these lovely COVID cars will make for an interesting 2023.

1 Like

I said it before, in SV talented tech workers avoid TSLA, yes they may make money off TSLA stock but working for them, hell no, the culture sucks, just a lot of better options. In early days they didn’t even have a cafeteria in their office while other places offer 3 meals/day. Head to head, Waymo pays much much better.

Not everyone is as good as Andrej Karpathy but he alone just can’t solve this problem, it’s just too hard. And he found his way out eventually.

1 Like

Yeah, it has been really high for last few years, lease or finance, to be a wise decision financially. But, if you enjoy it, its worth it.

TBH, one of the reasons I got this is because my wife has always been like “wow they have a Tesla” whenever she sees one and I doubt it will get cheaper than this. So this would make a nice V Day gift :wink:

Don’t forget to wrap it :rofl:

3 Likes

Nicely done!

I may dip it. But yeah, will put a bow at least.

You know what they say…

If you don’t wrap it on Valentines… you’ll need a Suburban by Christmas time.

7 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/10xzjr2/if_tesla_ads_were_honest/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

3 Likes

Hope the Camry XSE person does not get wind of this. He might go for this instead because the insurance is cheap. :laughing:

1 Like

I’m more interested in that Soarer.
Timeless design IMHO.

3 Likes

That’s funny
I have this car :joy::joy::joy: but US version

1 Like

They are VERY busy……
relax florida GIF

1 Like

caught ted GIF

mad homer simpson GIF

Most people who own Tesla S, at least the people I know here in LA, don’t care and have no clue. And, if you’re driving a $100,000 car, an extra $10-30K depreciation should be immaterial.

The percentage of car buyers who were even aware you could make money on your lease last year was tiny…I had to tell EVERYONE I knew who had a lease.

2 Likes

Eh I’m not so sure. That is a pretty decent hit. Ya I’m sure most buying model S are concerned about value retention but it certainly doesn’t help

Anyone who is actually in this income bracket and has more than 5 financial brain cells would disagree.

e.g.: You buy a $100k car. Normal RV is 60% after 3 years, so you burn $40k over your 3-year ownership. An extra $10-30k on this is a HUGE blow.

2 Likes

If you’re planning on selling you’re car every three years, you’re almost always better off leasing…especially in high tax states like CA.

What I’m saying is that most of these buyers aren’t even aware of the price drops…I talk to other Tesla owners around me (which seems to be half my neighbors) and NONE of them are aware of the price drops.

Most people buy a car and are done…they’re not checking out the secondary car market or current prices like the nutjobs on car bulletin boards.

3 Likes