The Sad State of Nissan

That one was a Pathfinder.

Just re-watched that scene on YouTube, apparently was already a 2nd gen Xterra by that point.

Car he was gifted - refreshed 1st gen Xterra:

Later in the show, 2nd gen vehicle when he drove to the PR day parade & when he’s palling around with the pyscho sons of Tony’s capos:

Back to a refreshed 1st gen when it catches fire:

Christopher Moltisanti’s Escalade EXT also jumped back to a 1st gen once it started rolling down the hill too, that time he crashed it, so not the only time in Sopranos, haha.

5 Likes

They didn’t and don’t have the capital. Each platform is billions of dollars. Besides, none of these solutions are silver bullets. Nissan already went from unibody to frame on the Pathfinder once; it didn’t help grow volume.

Unibodies like the Highlander, RX and RAV4 are what pay the bills at Toyota and fund the development of the LFA, GR vehicles and Supra. They could never do that selling 4Runners and Land Cruisers.

2 Likes

And even that (+ the GR coupe) presumably needed another manufacturer to sign on to make it happen (and the other manufacturer arguably did the lion’s share of development).

1 Like

I’ve got my own job and saving Nissan ain’t it, but what I do know is there is a market out there for a 6 cylinder body on frame SUV. Nissan didn’t want it, so Toyota will take it. Anyone out there buying GCLs (6 unibody), Explorers 4/6 unibody, Tahoes (6/8 BOF), Suburbans, 4Runners, and the lame version of the Pathfinder are potential customers.

It’s pretty funny how the car goes up in flames even though Nissan clearly paid for product placement that season - Tony even gives a cringeworthy sales spiel about the safety features of the Xterra if I remember correctly.

1 Like

“Nissan’s Triple Safety Philosophy”

2 Likes

I think the new Pathfinder and Rogue have gotten way better with the new designs of terms of tech, looks etc but Nissan has a long way to go.

Lot of people love them tho (for whatever reason). They keep staying brand loyal and continue to re-lease them.

I remember the days of the 90’s when the Maxima was considered a “luxury” car LoL

90s Maximas were damn cool

4 Likes

From 95-03, maxima was awesome. Especially an SE with a 5 or 6-speed manual. ‘97-99 SE and ‘02-03 SE.

And that market is pitifully small.

What are these numbers supposed to be?

Cylinders I presume

That would be correct

I disagree - when they went back to BOF with the Pathfinder it was a different era, and they were also ugly, with terrible tech.

Nissan could absolutely grab portions of each of the Explorer, GC & GCL, 4 Runner, Pilot, Blazer and even the V8 truck market (Tahoe and up).

It has to be a cool truck with the right Tech. There is a market,

nissan_cem

I saw this today, and I don’t know what it’s about but it perfectly fits the current state of Nissan.

I actually like Porter though, they were fair with me when I both leased and then bought out the lease. I can only blame myself for choosing the Pathfinder.

1 Like

The SV Sentra with premium is really nice. For 2021 and 22 they removed the LED headlights in the premium package. It was available on the 2020 model. To get led headlights you need to go with the SR. Bad move.

Putting the cylinder count in here is redundant. Each of these vehicles uses the same platform regardless of motor.

Why did you put GCL as “6 unibody”? Do you think the V8 GCL uses a different, BOF platform?

With the exception of the explorer you mentioned; I’m pretty sure all of these are unibody.

You’re a pleasant guy aren’t you?

1 Like

Let me dumb it down for you. All of these shoppers of the vehicles I listed - 6/8 cylinder SUV, whether unibody or BOF, would be potential customers for a BOF PATHFINDER V6.

I was one of those shoppers. I chose unibody GCL. There were no real options on the market besides a dated 4Runner and a Tahoe. I would have loved the option of a Pathfinder, a real Pathfinder.