The Sad State of Nissan

Lets not forget to remember and appreciate the Murano Cross-Cabriolet. Nothing short of ~iconic~

Didnā€™t he turn around Nissan from being close to bankruptcy into a profitable car manufacturer? Nissan GTR / Leaf / a etcā€¦
But yeah I am biased since heā€™s my countryman :slight_smile:

1 Like

He turned around Nissan financially precisely by doing the things that people on car forums love to hate. Kill the niche, sporty and low-volume models. Replace theoretically off-road capable SUVs with CUVs. Improve MPG across the fleet. Grow volume, which translates to fewer interesting cars and more boring cars.

9 Likes

I got a survey from Nissan at the end of my 2018 Pathfinder lease last year, and I pretty much told them it was the most average and unexciting car Iā€™ve ever owned. The only reason I got it was because it was the cheapest 3 row lease I could find at the time.

They wanted to put me in a new one for about $250/month more than my my last one cost. Itā€™s a huge improvement over the last generation, but absolutely not worth almost $600/month.

You should be able to do both though. Donā€™t alienate your brand enthusiasts. Jeep does a lot wrong, but they do a lot right. They would never turn the Wrangler into a unibody because they are not stupid and shortsighted. Now the wrangler is an icon, and maybe you say thatā€™s apples to oranges, but you gain icon status by sticking with something. The 4Runner is maybe not an icon, but it has its loyalists, and Toyota stuck with it. I bet the new model will be awesome and a huge seller.

Toyota is still in business due to reliability and low maintenance costs. Consumer Reports just ranked Lexus and Toyota number 1 and 2 in long term reliability, based on 2017 models. My wifeā€™s 2012 Camry has been flawless, with no repairs necessary. Maintenance costs have been real low also. Her experience with the Camry lead me to recently buy a Lexus for the first time.

After owning a Nissan Stanza/Altima (TO BE CLEAR: ACQUIRED BY MARRIAGE ), I would never buy a Nissan.

1 Like

With Honda/Acura bringing back the Integra, maybe Nissan can outdo them and bring back the Datsun name in the US. They apparently have already done so in some countries.

Things are getting so bad that I am seeing local dealerships are now co-branding Nissan/Infiniti in one store

Now they will ensure people will not move up the brand and accelerate the departure of the luxury brand with crap-tastic experience.

2 Likes

The Nissan dealer in the big auto mall by me closed about 10 years ago, and as of about a year ago, the Infiniti dealer is now a Nissan/Infiniti dealer.

There might have been some hyperbole in there. :innocent:

The part that wasnā€™t is that Iā€™ll never own another Toyota product. :slight_smile:

Life is too short to wear Kirkland jeans at Panda Express.

1 Like

cough cough boeing cough cough

1 Like
3 Likes

well the stunad did park on a pile of leaves.

2 Likes

I also love how his Xterra jumped generations at one point.

1 Like

Volvo Salesperson here, have any of you been in a sv sentra with a premium package? Sub 25k msrp and looks amazing.

I have not. Admittedly it looks ok when you build on the Nissan site. Is it actually nice inside and how does it drive?

It is, and it drives like every other souless econ box

1 Like

I can confirm having spent last weekend with a Sentra rental the drive is not great.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think this is unique to Nissan :laughing:

4 Likes
  1. are you sure you arenā€™t confusing Meadowā€™s, which came from her classmate whose degenerate gambler dad gave it to Tony as a down payment, before the bust-out ā€” with AJā€™s?
  2. At one point AJ complained about going to work early at a Union job Tony got him, so he smashed several windows in winter. It may have been swapped after that?

All the Japanese brands went through a cycle where they built reliable econoboxes, then cooler cars to attract people who werenā€™t into Accords and Camrys and Altimas, then bean-counted away the cool cars and doubled-down on volume mom-jeans models instead. Mitsu and Subaru also, but in some ways to a lesser extent (as hobby projects of their HI parent company)

No doubt they always had market research and focus groups, but the lower volume models that ever gave me feelings have faded away for compromise cars in mostly boring colors with bean-counted parts and materials. Nissan is just one of the worst examples of that.

1 Like