The Porsche 911 Discussion Thread

Here’s a nice breakdown of 911 variants:

4 Likes

You really are gonna buy a 150k car, drive it in winter and not swap the tires? This is pretty paradoxical in my opinion. I would want the best summer tires money can buy on my 911 and then obviously winter tires if you really are going to drive it in snow

1 Like

Not to derail with a quick question, but what is your stance on a ‘20+ Macan GTS in terms of depreciation? I believe they hold a bit better than say an S, but I’m considering the S as well.

I test drove a new Macan yesterday (for the first time) and I loved it. They handle so well, just as I’ve heard many people say. I would be looking at a CPO unit, in attempt to curve some of the $ depreciation.

Ha, two of those cars I was looking at earlier today…while browsing the Porsche sites. (I’m not in the market for a 911 though)

Be sure to factor in the CPO risk/reward into your estimated TCO as well, in terms of getting a car with or without the certification. Porsche’s CPO program is probably one of the best out there, and I know that I would certainly be willing to pay (something) to have it.

1 Like

Buying anything inflated is a pretty bad idea but a 911 Turbo even more so.

For anyone else I’d recommend a brand new Carrera but based on your prior posts you said you didn’t like them.

And even with AWD I don’t think you’re going to like the rear weight distribution and tendency to oversteer. In the snow with all seasons isn’t actually a great idea.

Seems like something else with a front-mounted TTV8 is more your thing.

2 Likes

110% sure. I took my checkbook with me when I went to test drive this 2014, I was so sure it was coming home with me, but after a short drive the temptation level dropped to zero.

The interior was ancient, like you’d find in a Conestoga wagon. So there’s less than zero chance of getting something older.

Depreciation isn’t the only factor, but for a newer model it seems like a logical place to start the browsing/driving process because: 1- this isn’t a passion of mine or a dream car regardless of the trim or equipment, and 2- I put on so few miles, and those are basically between home and the grocery store and the airport.

2 Likes

I think my fairly un ambitious use case may be better served on the lower end of the scale, so this might work out in my favor.

I haven’t driven anything newer than the 2014 S, and my impression is that they’ve gotten more refined and easier to drive daily since then. Maybe not.

I have enough self awareness to know that having to swap tires twice a year will make me want to trade it in for an Altima. I’m aware there will be a trade-off.

The bar is pretty low here, it just has to be easier to get up the driveway (which isn’t very steep) than my RWD 750. I’m barely exaggerating when I say that I need a running start to get into the garage after a thin layer of powder falls.

[runs off to Google :dash: ]

Except last five years. It’s been only about flipping.

Seems like an expensive move to minimally drive it for 4-5 years and prob get decent amount of depreciation , while basically handcuffing it with the tires and not being a great car for your use case. Honestly your 550 seems pretty perfect for your described use.

The novelty wore off the M550 in a matter of months.

I’m fine spending money on things that bring me happiness, even when it doesn’t make a great deal of sense.

Last week I bought $11,000 worth of hair. :blonde_man: :smiley:

Jokes aside, my appetite for the preposterous isn’t unlimited, which is why I opened the conversation with relative depreciation of various choices as a significant consideration.

I was thinking something like this, rather than a GTS or higher, before even thinking about depreciation… but I’d spend more if it made better financial sense in the end. I don’t know this market at all.

https://www.tomwoodporsche.com/certified/Porsche/2019-Porsche-911-For+Sale+in+Indianapolis+IN-5e4489f40a0e0a923b5d96d2dc73e2c8.htm

1 Like

You’re in Columbus right?

Does the hair wash itself or what? 11k TF

2 Likes

Yes. The 911’s for Columbus.

Hair transplant.

It may not turn out this well, but I rolled the dice.

7 Likes

The Edgar cut

1 Like

That puts the ass in sassy.

3 Likes

Meanwhile we were looking at that until the dealer decided to give my dad 9.6k off a X5 m50i. And the novelty has worn off before the tags got here! Same thing with the TRX we had lol. At least you can flip a TRX…

1 Like

Fundamentally, the interior of the 991.2s (like the ‘19 you posted) did not change from the 991.1s (like the ‘14 you drove). Notable advancements include PCM 4.0 with CarPlay, but that’s really about it. If the ‘14 felt dated the ‘19 isn’t going to feel much different.

On the deprecation scale, yes Turbos are notorious for heavy deprecation. It really is remarkable…and it seems the higher the sticker the harder they fall. That being said, this market has everything out of proportion and the 991.1 Turbo/Turbo S “deals” that were out there are no more. No, I would not spend low 6 figures on a 10 year old 911 Turbo. Bad buy in my eyes. Also wouldn’t touch anything from Brooklyn Auto Sales (the ‘17 you posted) and that is way under market, not a realistic price point.

Based on your requirements and thoughts, it sounds to me like you’d be happy in a 992 4 or 4S. I don’t follow this market closely but do know there is still some heavy depreciation to be had with these in comparison to the 991 generation, and of course 997. $150k can get you into one of these easily and as you said, sometimes you just have to spend money on happiness. The latest and greatest tech and having a “new” car sounds like it will be far worth it and truth be told, I doubt you’d even be happy in a 991.2 once the novelty wore off. Contrary to what all the Porsche geeks think, some people don’t want to drive an archaic platform no matter how ‘purist’ it is. And that is certainly OK.

I follow the 911 (mainly 991) market closely, embarrassingly closely, and personally wouldn’t touch anything right now. It’s getting old saying this and I know many are tired of hearing it too, but prices are out of control and sellers are totally irrational. Not sure how others feel but I’d rather knowingly lose on depreciation of a new-er car under warranty (992) than sporadically lose on an older car when the values do fall, and have to worry about maintenance and repairs on top of it (991).

Footnote: GT cars are a totally different ballgame but don’t think that’s the solution here.

11 Likes

This, you have no idea how much I’ve been wanting to buy a used 991 911, and my dreams are just crushed by how much higher prices have gotten. I see 991.2’s with 30k miles that people are asking 10k off original sticker for. It’s straight up stupid.

5 Likes

The problem is that the “novelty” will always wear off no matter what you are driving. I have owned/leased 30 or so cars and trucks including some stock and modified sub 4 second fire breathers. The novelty wears off faster in a ride used as a daily vs. a garage queen for weekend foolishness. The key is to have a few options over many years if you can for different purposes: daily, track (road course and drag strip, skip the ovals), weekend convertible or a 991.2 for example.

Either way, you will always want to move on so try and have some other cars, hobbies and things to keep you occupied and interested.

3 Likes