The German Living Experience

Achtung!!! Das autobahn ist wunderbar.
Ich bin ein berliner.
Porsche. Porsche. Porsche.
Oktoberfest.

That’s all the German I know. Hope it helps.

Tremendously.

1 Like

How tall? My partner is 6’3" and has no issues w/ our Golf Sportwagen.

I am European myself and someone driving slowly in the left lane triggers me every damn time. Add an inability to use turn signals and/or hazards in appropriate situations, and you start hating people on the roads here.

1 Like

@StingerTT
very important, I believe this is done every 2 years and it’s a strict inspection, only buy a car that had TUV recently done or you don’t know the real condition which will jeopardize passing inspections next time and then you can’t drive it until it’s repaired up to their standards, which is pretty high.

So if I get a newly inspected vehicle, there’s a good chance that it’s in good shape?

I’m about 6’5" and while I can generally fit into small cars, I just tend to be more comfortable in bigger ones. I can sacrifice that for a few years, though. May be worth it just to save some bucks.

yes, the inspections are pretty involved, they want cars to be in good shape when going 250km/h on the autobahn

You could get one of the crazy European mini-mini vans that have great headroom and would never sell in the US!!! May not be fun to drive, but it would be… interesting… And surely something that it distinctly European… :slight_smile:

Maybe I should!

For my upcoming trip I wish this was the case. Group needs a seven or nine passenger van out of Geneva. Im the only stick driver (even then I have maybe an hour of stick driving time in past ten years) so definitely want an automatic in order for someone else to help to drive. Also, not like a Peugot Traveller is going to be any fun to drive. But to get an auto for multiple rental agencys you need to go up to an XC90 or Nissan Pathfinder. Some have an auto non luxury minivan but those are almost the same price has the XC90.

I genuinely don’t know what the EU equivalent of a Pathfinder is. They don’t really have those lumbering great big aged SUV’s.

I imagine you’ll end up with a VW Touran or a Ford Galaxy.

I guess Qashqai?

That’s a fair bit smaller no? That’s the equivalent of the Rogue Sport here. They also have the Rogue in Europe which is called the X-Trail. Just to be super confusing.

1 Like

I guess so, but I think it looks bigger. I saw it in the wild, probably equivalent of Murano.

1 Like

You are right. As the picture shows, kayak quotes a Pathfinder but a little digging indicates I’d likely to get a Renault minivan instead (which probably is better - better use of space) But it would ultimately just be whatever seven passenger auto transmission vehicle they had in stock. I Could also get lucky and end up with a XC90 or Q7. Guessingat a relativity small
swizz airport they dont have a ton of American sized auto minvans/SUVs.

Out of curiosity, and to see if a 7 seat x-trail would work, I checked the dimensions. The British websites I found list the X-trail as being a few inches shorter than the rogue. The difference may be cosmetic but it’s definitely not bigger than an American Rogue.

Although when driving a Polo in Europe the X-Trail and Qashqi do seem gigantic.

Diesel only. Grab a car impossible to drive in US. Otherwise whats the point. A triturbo diesel X5 or a v12 diesel q7 )) i drove a brand new renault something several years back in France with a small diesel and a stick…and truly understand why the US gas monopoly doesnt want us to have them. Easy starts from 2nd and 3rd gears. Plenty of lowend torque and i kid you not…my gas gauge didnt start moving after 300km. I actually started worrying that it was stuck from the factory.
You know that whole diesel scandal BS is just part of that plan…they killed the diesel comeback in the US to sell you the EVs that use up more oil and give off polution in the battery manufacturing side, that you could possibly save while driving it.
There is nothing as efficient as a diesel electrical hybrid, but there are none - why is that?
Ever see the black smoke from the school buses? Green my ass.

Americans never drove any decent refined lux diesels in the 3.0T and 4.0T range, as they would demand these on US soil.

Rant Off!

Enjoy your stay!

There is no European equivalent. Qashqai sold in the U.S. as the Rogue Sport.

1 Like

I’ve narrowed my search down to the Seat Leon Cupra. A great 2016 most likely.

I realize gas will be expensive.

Is this essentially the Seat version of something btw a GTI and R? Should be fun. :slight_smile: