The German Living Experience

That’s true pretty much everywhere.

Uhh… If you look at European driving requirements, they’re considerably more rigorous than what we have in the US (or, at least, they used to be).

They respect laws and law enforcement rather than fear it, so that helps.

1 Like

I was on mobile.de looking at A5 sportbacks. 8 year old models with 150k km were going mid 15k euros (17k usd).

Seemed pretty reasonably priced to me.

What of buying a used German car in the states, shipping it to Germany, registering it there, then selling it before coming back? I won’t be paying shipping costs.

The article I linked to addresses that:

“Shipping a car to Germany is possible, and should cost up to €1,100 if you’re shipping from outside of Europe. That being said, the import tax on cars is 10% of the vehicle’s value plus an additional 19% VAT. Classic cars get a slight break, however, with only a 7% tax rate.”

I would personally go w/ some weird, small, quirky car they don’t have in the US. And I also don’t think that $17k for an 8-yr old car that isn’t destined to be a classic sounds like a good investment, but…).

PSA is bringing Peugeot back to the US in 2026.

1 Like

So no real way to get around the 19 percent VAT. I’ll have to do more research specifically into what my
Organization supports or if they offer a way to deal with this. If not, I’ll just look into a Seat Leon Cupra.

I am german and even though I have been in the US for quite a while, I lived long enough in my country to be able to answer you some questions around Cars:

• Gas prices are extremely high. As I lived there Diesel was the most popular fuel, it was cheaper and Diesel cars have consumed significantly less. Now with the Diesel scandals and also new smog regulations, no one buys a diesel anymore. If you are with Military, you might be able to buy gas at the base, which I think has american prices.
  • The 19% VAT (Sales Tax) is included in the sales price, except when you own a business or export the car. Don’t know how it works for US military and diplomats, if you belong to this category, I am sure your organization will help you with that. One big advantage with the tax included, you dont loos right of the gate 19% when you don’t like the car an want to give it back. All what they deduct is a potential deprecation and that is it.
  • Trading in cars is much better than what is happening here. I was shocked he it was handled here in the US as I arrived here. When you want to buy a car and trade in your old car, they usually pay you significantly more than what you would get, when you sell the car privately, just to get the deal. Buying and selling cars over there is anyway much more consumer friendly, you can get up to 30-35% of MSRP.
  • The financing rates are extremely low right now, therefore people rather finance and keep their cars as long as they can. Although leasing has started to become more and more popular but is still far behind what we see here in the US. I was just reading that LIDL (is the main competitor of ALDI) had started to lease cars. They had a FIAT 500 starting for 89 Euros per month with 0 down and you could go for the full service version with insurance, service and 15000km/42month for 184 Euros, which is pretty good.
  • Insurance is pretty expensive over there. You might want to get a letter from your insurance company about your track record, they might consider it and lower your rates. Usually if you don’t have a track record with a german insurance company, you start like a new license holder and they charge you crazy rates. Again, if you are with the Military, Diplomat, I am sure you will have your own insurance, which will be significantly less expensive.
  • Driving over there is DIFFERENT and I really mean it. On the Autobahn you will be able to enjoy your free ride without speed limit but there are rules you should really follow and respect: 1. there are between 2-4 (very rarely 5) Lanes. The slowest car drive on the right Lane, the fastest on the left lane. When you drive 200 Km/h, don’t thing you are the fastest, I am telling you, I was not the fastest driver and I was driving around 220-240 Km/h. When you drive on the left lane, always watch you back, out of sudden you might have a Ferrari with 300km/h with crazy flashing lights, in this case you should move right as soon as you can. One of the worst traffic crimes on the autobahn is to pass a car on the right site, if they catch you, it is worse than passing a red light and they might fine you pretty heavily. One other thing about the Autobahn: No speed limit, dosn’t mean every where no speed limit. Big portions of the Autobahns have speed limits and they have lots of cameras.

There is a lot I can tell you about germany and cars. Overall, if Gas price is not a problem (when you are with US Military) you will love the Autobahn and the freedom to drive as fast as you want. Just be careful the first few month to get use to it and learn how to handle the whole dynamics there.

If you have specific questions, just ask, happy to help!

BTW, if you want to get some lease offers, sixt is a good company with some decent offers for all brands, you can check it out here: http://www.sixt-leasing.com/privateleasing

4 Likes

Not sure you’d have to pay VAT if you bring it in as your personal car with the purpose of moving it back to the US with you.

1 Like

@Mike2000 very helpful post…danke schoen and thumbs up.
:+1:

1 Like

I was surprised that even Italians drive in a much more civilized manner than Americans. They don’t sit in left lane nor pass on right.

As for law enforcement, we have friend of a friends that was a cop in UK. They have many of the same issues we do here between police and minority communities. In his opinion, what they don’t have is guns in the hands of most criminals (guns are super expensive so only more sophisticated criminals have them and they careful not to lose them in a dumb arrest). So the lack of fear amongst law enforcement allows them to have better relationships with motorist and the community as a whole.

1 Like

They also don’t have guns in the hands of police.

4 Likes

i wouldn’t be too worried about VAT, there’s prob tax exceptions or other military benefits

You can certainly lease! My sister just got a Ford Focus out in France I think she’s paying mid 2s.

1 Like

https://www.militaryautosource.com

omg you’ll be able to get some seriously sexy cars! Because i’m a nerd, that just means sexy wagons AND/OR tiny fast hatchbacks…

RS6 Avant - will cost you an absolute fortune to buy, run & maintain but MY GOD JUST LOOK AT IT.
download

The new Peugeot 508 wagon (and the sedan actually) look pretty amazing

Audi S1

VW UP! GTI
download-1

Just promise us all RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW that you will not settle for a Skoda or a Dacia Sandero.

1 Like

I was totally thinking of an UP! but didn’t realize they had a GTI version…

1 Like

Maybe ten years ago. Automatics are coming into favor in Europe and a lot of cars no longer offer manuals, especially on the high end.

@StingerTT I lived in Germany for nearly two years and I also hold a European drivers license. (Ask me how difficult and expensive it is to get)

While leasing is possible, it’s generally expensive and frowned upon. I have tons of close family scattered across Europe and when I tell them I lease my cars here in the US, they look at me and say “oh you rent your cars?” Lol

Anyway, gas is very expensive over there and the bigger the engine/motor the heavier the tax is. You will not be able to get an S Class or other larger displacement car unless you got money to burn.

Best bet is to stick to a used German car. You can get them for pretty cheap. Look for VW Polos or Golfs. Lots of people have them. Opels are nice too and I used to own when I lived there.
You’ll need to make sure the car has its inspection done which in Germany is call “TUV” if it’s not done, you’ll have to do it. It’s sort of like our state inspections here.

Think you’re going to be able to do 200miles an hour on the Autobahn in your new Bimmer? Think again. What people don’t realize is that while the Autobahn has no speed limit, most of it (especially within city limits) has a speed limit (usually 120km or 100km) or in construction zones. Speed thru those areas and the Autobahn Polizei will nail you. They are strict! And when you get pulled over by the Autobahn Polizei (Highway Patrol) they’ll get in front of you and ask you to pull over (sort of follow them). Ask me how I know.

When you’re in the clear on the Autobahn, do not hang out in the left lane. We American drivers are mentally challenged when it comes to this and do this all the time. Drives me crazy here. You will have a Porsche or some other high powered car come up right behind you and flash you to move out of the ***explicit way.

Like I said, look at Golfs or Opels. You can also find retired MBs (fairly new) that were used as Taxis. You’ll know they were Taxis as they have that vanilla color. They might have high mileage but you can score one for cheap. Plenty of independent shops around to do maintenance. Dealerships will be expensive (like here)

Where in Frankfurt area you going? I was not Military but had a lot of friends there who were in the Military (Wiesbaden area)

You can always Message me if you have more questions .

Schoenes Fahren!

All really good information, thanks guys! I know there’s already a process in place for me to get a license. It’s taking an online course and paying a fee.

I don’t mind getting a small car, but I’m a tall guy and small cars hurt after a while haha.

I may look at BMW 1 series hatchbacks and S1s.