The full sized suv problem

Hey guys looking to get some feedback on possible avenues here…

I’ve seen the feedback 100 times where when someone asks for a full sized 3 row suv deal or feedback. The answer is almost always get a minivan :slight_smile:. While I understand that the suburban,Yukon etc lease terribly — considering the current market, I’m going to likely just purchase one. Obviously, this being a leasing focused site, there isn’t a ton of information around known good dealers or any brokers that would facilitate a purchase. These brands also don’t have a ton of broker representation around here in the Northeast. Complicating things a bit further, most brands are rolling out next years version now. I’m not sure if this helps or hurts me, as maybe I can snag last years model off the lot?

Curious if anyone here has used a broker to do a purchase before? Any good Chevy or GMC dealers in the northern NJ area? What should I target for % off msrp in the current market?

I currently have a leased qx60 that’s up in December, so I could wait a bit for a new build, but I’d prefer to have this sorted for around October.

Extend the qx60 as long as they give you, or be prepared to pay sticker++

7 Likes

You might even have to search to find a car at sticker , some are selling well over msrp . I have the same challenge , want a full size 3rd row SUV , most of them have terrible residual . If you only need 3rd row for kids , look at the land rover defender, it’s surprisingly large , but 3rd row is still tight . Definitely selling at sticker , but much higher residual than most of the other brands (at least for the lower end versions or the Defender)

1 Like

It’s truly a crazy world where a defender is suggested as the value choice.

9 Likes

Haha. Indeed .

OP : Infiniti used to allow up to 6 month extension on leases , check if that’s still the case , and if so , do that end pray the market will normalize at some point .

FWIW, these vehicles lease terribly in any market. It’s not that brokers can’t get these cars, its just rare that there is a price worth advertising.

1 Like

Yep it’s pay to play even in a normal market for these trucks. People really want them so Ford/GM (and soon Stellantis) sell them for what the market will bear.

A great business to be in. Chevy can sell a well equiped Suburban for 70k+ while a top of the line minivan is 50k. Definitely a lot more margin in the truck.

2 Likes

No. None. You won’t find a good one within hundreds of miles.

5 Likes

i heard bridgewater chevy is having a…liquidation…sale…if you get my…drift…

10 Likes

OP have you looked at the Kia or Hyundai SUV or Honda Pilot ?

I was in a somewhat similar situation but for X7, GLS, etc. Those cars are fairly new in their lifecycle so even aside from the pandemic/supply chain issues I’d need to wait before incentives got better.

Decided to buy a Kia Telluride while waiting it out (anticipating minimum 2 years or plausibly 3 before incentives get better). Being the owner gives more more flexibility to sell to the highest bidder when I’m ready to pull the trigger.

If you were in a QX60 do you need something as large as a Sub?

2 Likes

It’s always a tough market for full size SUVs and leasing and now even more so with lack of Tahoe/Yukon/Suburuban inventory and year 1 of the model change.

If you are locked in on a mainstream Full Size SUV (Expedition, GM product, Armada or Sequoia) look for best OTD price on a full size SUV and try to balance with a trade taking advantage of the used car market on anothjer vehichle via quotes from Carvana/Vroom/Carmax, etc. Use as dealer leverage after OTD deal price locked.

Used, Full size SUVs are simply off the charts crazy stupid in price right now. Buying new is the better way to go if you must wade into the current market waters.

I would put the X7, Range Rover and other 100K luxury products in a separate discussion.

Whatever route you choose, please don’t be like the 2022 Escalade driver who just this morning tailgated me for going the speed limit, almost hit 2 pedestrians and a dog out of frustration, then brake checked me at 60mph. Half the people who drive these things around here don’t understand 2+2=4, much less basic physics, and act like they’re driving an M4 with more chrome.

2 Likes

Yeah, we’re going to have 3 kids in car seats for a long time. With this many kids - the wife wants 3 rows and a full trunk. When we leased the qx60 we only had 1 kid :slight_smile:

Minivan time!!!

4 Likes

It looks like there are some minor deals to be had on Jeep Grand Cherokee L, at least Limited trims and below.

https://forum.leasehackr.com/tags/c/marketplace/7/jeep

It sounds like you don’t want to hear it, but I’d at least look at the new generation of minivans with that sized family. Just the power sliding doors will make your life easier multiple times per day versus the ‘driving dynamics’ or perceived ruggedness you lose not having an SUV.

As the other posters already said, three-rowers with even a hint of luxury are MSRP and above with little lease support, so if the clock’s running down on your need to fit three car seats there doesn’t seem to be any magic bullet that will get you out of swallowing a much larger monthly or up-front payment or sliding way down the trim levels to hit a certain price.

1 Like

Disappointing that this didn’t hold water, I thought you’d be flooded with reacts

1 Like

How do you plan to get into the third row of something like a Suburban with three car seats in the second row?

3 Likes

happy the big bang theory GIF by CBS

Captains chairs and one in the back?

1 Like