2021 Ford Explorer XLT Lease (need help with numbers)

, ,

Upgraded to “Super Supporter” like you suggested. Leasehackr Calculator gives me an error when I type in Ford Explorer, it errors out on the Trim. That’s why I asked.

Not sure what’s going on? Any ideas?

1 Like

@littleviolette looks like there may be an error on the supporter calc

1 Like

Where do people copy/paste this template from?

2 Likes

How much pain can this cause to make you want to get a new vehicle at the worst possible time? A slighter better MPG vehicle is going to save you less than $5/week?

3 Likes

The gas savings from 20 mile R/T commute aren’t that much. You’ll save maybe two gallons of gas a week max. That’s $40 a month max

1 Like

That tells you nothing about whether it will be a good candidate to lease.

Most cars do not lease well. They do not have the programs (RV, MF and incentives) to be good candidates for lease-hacking, regardless of what dealer discount you can negotiate. This is truer now than it has ever been. Which means you cannot start your search with a particular car or cars in mind, and then find a way to make them lease well.

It will be like pushing a boulder uphill while pulling teeth, and you’ll still probably have a bad deal in the end. You need to start your search by filtering only the vehicles that are leasing well right now and offer good value per dollar.

Check out the “Share a Deal” and “Marketplace” sections of LH forums to decide what’s leasing well and pick a vehicle that is already proven to offer good value.

Remember, there are no magic wands that can save a deal from poor programs (RV, MF, and incentives) and/or poor discounts.

1 Like

If you want good MPG and a 3rd row in an SUV. Highlander Hybrid is the answer. I’ve had mine since April and haven’t seen less than 32.

1 Like

Let me take a look!

1 Like

Greatly appreciate your feedback Max, the issue is we have 3 kids and the wife is only looking at vehicles with 3rd row. So that kinda narrows the field down quite a bit wouldn’t you say? I mean sure we could get a vehicle fit for only 5 passengers with a great lease deal, but kids tend to fight / need space when being crammed in the backseat for 1hour day trips.

Like you said I do feel like i’m trying to lift a boulder uphill…

I dunno maybe I’m wrong, is there a good lease deal for a 5 passenger SUV that can fit 3 kids comfortably in the back?

“What 3 row SUVs lease well” is debated, at length, regularly (TL;DR it’s probably a Highlander or an XC90):

My comment on a similar thread in June seems to still apply (be sure to click the chevron on the right-side to expand):

Ultimately you need to pick something your wife likes and will drive, and do your best on the lease. This is the most desirable vehicle type in the US, at the absolute worst time in history to buy/lease. No easy answer here unfortunately.

Sounds like I need to be looking more into the Volvo XC90 or Toyota Highlander hybrid. Thank you so much for your help. Will check out both of these.

1 Like

Youtube, just need some numbers for comparison.

Honestly, I hate the calculator. Probably because I don’t understand the rebates and stuff, too lazy to deep dive into it. Plus I like spreadsheets more. Here are some sheets I made recently based off templates I found online (can’t remember the source, sorry). Ignore the first sheet, that one is for a car I signed earlier this year. The SUV’s though are current for South Florida for September.

Anyway, really all you have to do is…

1. https://forums.edmunds.com/
  2. Select Make
  3. Select Model
  4. Hit Go!
  5. Click on Lease Deals and Prices (90% of the time, its the very first link in each Make’s forums.)
  6. Navigate to the last page in the thread.
  7. Look for zip codes near you and get the Money Factor, Residual Values + Lease incentives if any, for the term you are looking for (typically 36/12)…best if you just make an account and ask yourself, they answer really freaking fast.
  8. Pop them into the spreadsheet (Pretty straightforward). Keep in mind, MSRP is typically negotiable. Not many dealers willing to do so right now though, especially on SUV’s.
  9. Good luck! I personally gave up. Ascent’s lease pretty damn good though, just need to negotiate the MSRP discount. But good luck in this environment. Mazda is more likely to discount their CX9’s, is what I have found.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTwiy4kpdcXyEssIKLp3RPVajuJsrhKYFlduoOBZgWc1aRs4TeGI9VCJeOzlGGx1zIp-27Ntlw_ZuBy/pub?output=xlsx

1 Like

Thank you ReyTK3. Appreciate everything seriously. Its just about Miller time for me. Thank you for your insight. Hope all is well.

To be pedantic, msrp is never negotiable. The selling price is.

This is relevant because the residual value is based on the msrp. If you could negotiate the msrp, it would change your residual value.

1 Like

We are still updating the Calculator. In the meantime, here is the program data for a 36 month /12,000 miles a year lease of a 2021 Ford Explorer (2021 - XLT 4dr 4x4 ) in the 80016 area:

Money Factor: 0.00077917

Residual Value: 58%

2 Likes

Good call, I meant the sell price.

Thank you littleviolette, appreciate the help.

This doesn’t appear to be the original source (as the template way predates this video), but certainly is a high volume source.

The irony is that the first response to the thread in the video is to go to edmunds for that info, but people still don’t read it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.