The Credit Thread

My Jeep arrived at the dealer yesterday. I filled a credit app today and im a bit nervous. In the beginning of 2017 I had my financed car repossessed but got it back the next day. I made payments for about 8 months and sold it. That was all prior to my marriage. I havent applied for a vehicle loan/lease since then, only credit cards and school loans. Our 2 vehicles are under my wifes name. Shes on the credit app as well. Today Experian has her at 810 and im at 715. Should I be worried about not getting tier 1. I pick up on Monday and they havent ran our credit yet.

Worst thing you get tier 2, if it’s a flip nbd, if it’s a 4xe to keep - you’ll have slightly higher TCO, but if it’s CCAP they are literally one of THE MOST forgiving banks.

2 Likes

I want ccap and told them. I was planning on flipping but now im unsure. If I do flip its to get SOT

Ccap is just Santander in disguise. Poor credit is their bread and butter.

2 Likes

At a minimum I’d keep it until your credit score rebounds. Flipping against that score will give your bureau stretch marks.

1 Like

My dad is still nagging me over the single-digit point drop from 830 he took when I flipped the M4

7 Likes

How can I get a car loan or home loan with a good credit score, but with a bad income source? Is it possible to get the loan?

Could you please clarify this portion a little more?

Do you mean an inconsistent source month to month? Low numbers recently?

I’m guessing underground economy?

1 Like

NFT Trader! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you have strong credit, generally you won’t need to document income for a car loan.

Home loans are a different story.

Are you self-employed? What’s the concern about your income source?

2 Likes

I just checked mine, so I thought I’d do a PSA: I’m not sure for how long, but your “annual” free credit reports are still available weekly at www.annualcreditreport.com .

If you are getting your credit information from a company whose only interest is selling you additional credit products (Kredit Karma and others), you are only seeing a third-party’s interpretation of a portion of your credit file , and you really should look periodically at the entire credit file directly from your reports.

I recently had a discrepancy on a mortgage trade line as it was displayed on Experian’s own app, but when I pulled my actual Experian credit report it was clear that the account was indeed reporting correctly.

1 Like

Experian and Equifax both had “errors” asking me to call or email, and transunion didn’t have a credit score available for me, unless I wanted to purchase one for $0.99 :expressionless:

:frowning:

Side note: Who pays $0.99 for a garbage Vantage Score?

4 Likes

Since this thread is back. I should update on what happened with my credit. My car shipping got delayed 1.5 months. In the meantime, I had paid off a large chunk of the 0% apr credit debt I had. My vintage credit score had jumped back by 30 points (735). When I went to pick up the car from Gupton, they just checked my vintage TransUnion score and did not even make a hard inquiry on my credit report. They said I was Tier 1 and that was the end of it.

12 Likes

Heyyyy congrats! Conclusions to stories are always great.

2 Likes

Awesome. Love reading happy outcomes like that. :+1:

2 Likes

Americans.

Long live the RAV4, Dancing with the Stars, and Chili’s®

2 Likes

I made an observation in a recent thread that a new account isn’t necessarily going to noticeably impact your credit scores.

Here is the ultimate expression of that point, using the Experian FICO 8 (tops out at 850) as a reference point, with an additional update.

Relevant Timeline:

3/25/22 - Experian FICO 8 was 847
4/4/22 - New auto loan reported to Experian (score remained 847)
5/6/22 - Experian FICO 8 moved up to / maxed at 850 due to other changes in my credit file

Keys to this:

Payment history: no late payments, ever, on any account that’s reporting

Relatively long credit history: average age of accounts is between 9 and 10 years

Thick credit file: Dozens of open and closed accounts reporting

Extremely low revolving (credit card) utilization: Balances reporting are well under 1% of total revolving limits

Installment history: at least one open installment account with a relatively low balance compared to the original loan amount

Inquiries: Make very little, if any difference. I have 3 reporting on Experian, but two are older than a year (FICO 8 ignores those completely), plus one from six months ago when I opened a Citi credit card for an $800 sign-up bonus.

Your good credit is there to leverage. Use it every time it makes sense.

14 Likes