The Credit Thread

A post was merged into an existing topic: Spammers - [report them here]

It’s like I wrote that myself. This x1000. Started young as a car aficionado so always was opening auto loans and paying them off quickly and as my income grew my loan amounts grew as I wanted better cars. That in itself and low credit card utilization is what propelled me to the usual 840-850 score.

3 Likes

This guy fuchs

1 Like

How to get a Car Loan with Bad Credit?

If you need a loan and have no alternate options a subprime loan and work on paying it off ASAP, or refinance asap when your credit improves.

Not quite sure I would take this advice. Do buy here pay her places even report to credit bureaus? I thought they just GPS track your car and repo it the first day your payment is late.

Building auto credit is best to take a small loan at a reasonable rate (5 to 9% for lower credit). Look for cars known to be reliable with high mileage like Hondas and Toyotas. I would start by trying to finance less than 10k.

Look for local credit unions and rate shop with them.

3 Likes

I think it’s time to merge the thread with some other appropriate thread.

Plus even if they did, you don’t want “Last Chance Auto Credit” on your credit report.

Especially with newer or imperfect credit, credit reports are often manually reviewed, and this would be a red flag for a future credit analyst as a sign of past financial distress
 even if the account was handled perfectly and there is no “damage” to the credit history / score caused by things like late payments.

4 Likes

Both of you make excellent points. More than fair.

I think the way I should’ve phrased it is find alternate routes, paying off debts then refinancing if necessary to a more reasonable apr is the way to go. I’ve edited to reflect that.

What is your highest credit score?
What type of car are you looking to buy? New or used? Have you ever had an auto loan?

Fyi, check out this credit thread for more info: The Credit Thread.

Subprime interest rate is usually dependent on money down. Used car dealers and even franchised ones can get you set up with one. “Credit Acceptance” is a big one.

Be wary of interest rates but even more on extra blessings, warranties, negative equity, etc.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Spammers - [report them here]

How bad is bad? You really only need a 730 - 750 credit score.

Fixed it for you.

1 Like

I was always told “bad credit” was under 600. Isn’t 600 the base for no credit history?

No, a credit history can be as high as 850.

Bad credit under 700

Lucky Lopez is going to deal with people in 300s, he says a 450 makes him smile.

I don’t know if they’ve tightened up their credit policy in recent history, but DCU has a reputation for giving prime-ish rates for scores as low as 580.

Shared earlier in this thread:

Here are the FICO score ranges, based on estimates from Experian.

Very poor: 300 to 579
Fair: 580 to 669
Good: 670 to 739
Very good: 740 to 799
Excellent: 800 to 850

These may have shifted since averages moved up during the pandemic, but you get the general idea.

The first few dozen posts in this thread are worth a review for anyone landing in recent history.

1 Like

I would fall over and die twice, if I EVER were to see anything remotely close to 580.

Yeah
 720 has been the golden number people love to toss around as the you’re into the “good credit score” range.