The Best Finance Rates & Hacks! Submit your CU recommendations!

Took the words right from my mouth. :sweat_smile: PenFed is fine but they are slooooooooowwwwww.

I’m not sure if I would do it for $200 or not. I’ve become too accustomed to being spoon-fed with churning other offers. :innocent:

2 Likes

I’m trying to define “all that effort” before deciding. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My threshold for opening a new credit card is $500.

Sometimes I’ll hold my nose and go for $400.

This crossed my mind before I posted, hence:

“There’s no DMV involved, so how hard could a refi be?” is how I started this, but then I keep going back to “but this is PenFed.”

1 Like

Hell, do it. We’ll have an interesting read with the worst case scenario. Best case, you can brag how you made an easy $200. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It looks like Navy Federal has a similar offer.

Every voluntary encounter with them is masochism as well.

So… PudFun or Nayvee?

This reminds me of the eternal question: if you are locked in a room and you’re chin deep in snot… and someone throws a bucket of shit at you, do you duck?

Side note: his ARMY t-shirt coordinates aesthetically with the blue(!) cloth(!) car interior in the photo.

Looking more closely, both FunPud and NCFU require the new loan to be open for ~60 days, and the extra interest at the higher rate would eat up ~1/3 of the bonus.

So even with a balance of only $9k, it isn’t worth the effort to me to refi into a higher rate to get the bonus. This idea was at best a wobbler at $200, but at ~$130 it’s DOA.

[6.04% is the lowest refi rate (36-month term) currently on FunPud’s site, and 1.49% is my current APR.]

:drooling_face:

As of 1/1/23 that 2.49% rate is gone unless the loan funded by 12/31/22. Lowest is now 3.5% for 72 months with auto payment from a checking account (0.5% bonus to get to 3.5%). 84 months is 4.5% with the same set up.

1 Like

Update is that I managed to get approved with Tower for 2.25% / 36m which I’m going to take. So far they have been responsive to both the online messaging and calls.

2 Likes

Recommend any cu for bad credit 630 to 650 asking for friend. He wants to by hyundai tucson dealership is working Santander bank 10%apr.TIA

For what term? Playing the odds I’m guessing they’re trying to put him into a 72+ month loan. With bad credit on top of that, 10% APR isn’t obscene.

With that said, try DCU. They have a reputation for prime(ish) rates for poor(ish) credit profiles.

Although my credit score is +800 I already used DCU twice for cars loans, good rates indeed. I recommend them.

I knew it was going to go up after 1/1 but I’m super sad it went up a full point.

Ty.72 months

Agreed. I just missed out on the 2.49% on buying two cars that did not lease very well at all. The monthly difference isn’t huge but it still sucks.

Hershey’s CU Sheet:

Other old school SS:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HGo8V-P5S-z4oCUiAKULrkZRFlzRHEalJqUFLiP0LCE/htmlview?pru=AAABfGJwsY4*GIrC7nxoPPPZ_hd47XnXOA#gid=0

3 Likes

@Rachmunas how did everything end up working out for you? I saw you closed on your loan before the car technically arrived. Did you take possession of the car yet?

I am in a similar boat. Have 3.49% at 72 months from A1CU, but rate expires on January 14. Approval is good for another 45 days after that, but rate jumps to 4.99% at 72 months. Golf R is hitting port in Davisville tomorrow, then needs port processing and 6-7 hour trek to dealer. Car likely won’t be at dealer until after January 14. I’m leaning towards closing on loan January 14 and waiting to take delivery.

1 Like

Damn can’t win with these server issues. Looks like my original post is back but the one I made earlier today (and some replies to it) are gone.

I closed on 12/28 and am still waiting on the vehicle that keeps getting delayed weekly for 1 1/2 months now. I have the check at my house. Kia has no way of tracking the vehicle. i hope the rewards pays off with the risk. I’m being patient because I’m only paying interest for three months, instead of waiting and paying 2-3% more a month for several years. But I’m nervous at the same time.

Ask them for 90 day no payments. Even if you wait 3 months, you’ll still be ahead over the life of the loan. It’s simple math.