TFS is telling me they do not allow MSD’s…

Anyone have any advice or knowledge here? I’m looking to lease a Toyota Highlander SE AWD.

MSRP: $41,332
Sale price $37,200

Dealer is charging $1100 “desert protection package”. They agreed on the sale price but before I could negotiate the package, finance guy and myself had a back-and-forth about MF and MSD’s. They are ONLY allowing me to finance with .00134 MF which is the “lease incentive”. Fine print says ‘security deposit waved’. There is also a cash back incentive, but This MF rate makes the current $1000 lease cash offer invalid

On the edmunds forum, The admin said standard MF in my area is .0015, residual 65%. 12,000 miles

When I asked about paying the security deposit in order to get the $1000 cash back incentive, he basically told me to pound sand. That it’s impossible to get both, and If I wanted to get the cash back the MF would be .0029

He told me Toyota financial WILL NOT allow MSD’s and I have to choose, MF .00134, or .0029 with $1000 back

The guy ended up being a little rude (maybe I said something he didn’t like) so I ended up walking out of the dealership

So, Will TFS allow MSD’s??? Or am I crazy. I’m looking on the forum and seeing dozens of other hackers ask about them with their leases and others saying they are allowed

Las Vegas, Nevada if it helps

Interesting that you got to talk to Finance BEFORE making a deal.

You edmunds number is wrong. It’s 00134 / 65, 0015 is the next post btw.

But no MSDs? Wonder why.
To get the $1000 he would have to use a different bank or system which explains why the MF goes way up.

They do

But it’s possible there’s a choice this month between a special rate and a higher rate w rebate

You can apply msds to the higher rate w msds

If you’ve been on the forum as noted, rule one is don’t walk in without a deal agreed to. Makes it miserable for everyone

Also, your Msrp sounds really low for a Highlander SE AWD. Is that right?

1 Like

It autocorrected. Should be a Highlander LE.

maybe I jumped the gun on going down, I had spoken to and negotiated with the online sales manager a few times and he told me the price would be $38k, and if I came in we could “go from there…” but wouldn’t talk more numbers over the phone

Woof

That’s never a fun situation

At least you left and can regroup!

So I would probably do it if he removed the $1100 desert package and gave me the $1000 cash rebate. But he can’t do the latter because of the “promotional lease rate”

You’re right!! Not sure why .0015 was stuck in my head, I must have seen the reply below mine for the SE.

But still, incorrect MF aside, I still don’t understand why MSD’s aren’t allowed…maybe I wait till July and see if anything changes?

If this dealer is telling you no, and you want to use MSDs, time to find a different dealer. You can’t make them apply them.

1 Like

Because if the dealer just said “I don’t want to deal with it”, you’d go elsewhere. By saying “TFS won’t do it”, he can make them the bad guy.

2 Likes

It’ll get worse in July before it gets better. If they won’t do MSDs today, they won’t do them in a couple weeks either.

1 Like

You can’t fix stubborn or stupid. Move on.

TFS absolutely accepts MSD but not all finance managers know about it.

2 Likes

Only if you agree to it :wink:
Its just a bogus ceramic coating …run

1 Like

It’s not bogus…but probably cost 1/10th of that price.

It is very much so
First clue is its application by unskilled labor

Hey everyone, I just wanted to follow up with what I’ve learned.

Firstly, after posting here I took to the ol’ GOOGLE search and found on ToyotaFinancial.com they advertise MSD’s. There are 4 dealerships in Vegas, the one with the “Costco Discount” was the one who wouldn’t budge. I contacted 2 others, both salesmen I had established rapport with actually put me on hold and spoke to the finance manager, and said they would do it. Unfortunately, both of those dealerships had a total of maybe 7-10 highlanders on their lot, so they would absolutely not budge from the MSRP

I showed them the price sheet from the other dealer and they straight up told me, “come back when the lot is full of cars and we’ll have a deal for you”

It’s quite unfortunate…I was really hoping to get a highlander by this summer for all our road trips. Oh well. We’ll see how the market plays out in the next few months…

I’m quite jealous of the other gentleman who nailed a 9.5% discount off MSRP and got $1000 cash back on top of that. I guess April was the time to move on new cars, I’m just a day late and a dollar short as always haha

For reference - the post that convinced me I wanted to lease my next vehicle, and that vehicle was a highlander

1 Like

Move to a strategy of making offers.

Plug the following into the LH calculator after MSRP of the vehicle you’re looking at:

Selling price based on % pre-incentive discount found by searching Shared Deals and Marketplace sections of this forum.

RV, MF and incentives (lease cash) from Edmunds forums. Add any extra rebates you qualify for (college grad, etc) under incentives.

DMV fees and taxes based on your state’s official website.

Voila! Now check the box to make it $0 DAS and offer the resulting monthly payment*

• preferably rounded to a multiple of $5 or $10 to make yourself seem more like a normal person :innocent:
1 Like

Yeah April was a good month, I used a broker and got a platinum hybrid MSRP $52k for $482/mo (no taxes in my state). You can’t touch that deal now.

If you have time to wait do it. Things will come back around, just not yet.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.