Tesla Truck - Early April Fools joke?

This is somehow even worse than I imagined it could or would be.

9 Likes

It’s obviously not real. Right?

1 Like

Anything is possible in this Ponzi scheme. Gotta keep that market cap, uh, high.

FUNDING SECURED!

5 Likes

I wonder if he and John will share a cell for tax evasion.

2 Likes

Let’s recap shall we?

6.5 ft bed, 500 mile range, built-in ramp, self-driving tech, stainless steel body, 0-60 in 2.9 = 69k.

If Elon delivers on all of this then woe to the upper end truck market at the end of 2022.

5 Likes

Don’t forget shatter proof windows.

Disregarding how incredibly ugly that thing is, I don’t see how it can pass pedestrian crash safety standards.

6 Likes

Now go raise $2.5B on this joke model to survive the next 6 months. #fundingSecuredAt420

1 Like

Hey @kimcicle, remember when I asked if it could be this fugly, and you said there is absolutely no way…

Musk asked me to hold his beer.

3 Likes

I was reading some of the fanboi comments this morning. While I have yet to see anyone say it’s beautiful, they are definitely goo goo over this thing. Spec-wise, it sounds impressive on paper. But this thing has got to go down as #1 on the all time worst designs of any vehicle ever created.

It makes the Aztek look like a work of art.

3 Likes

Someone has been breeding Azteks and Deloreans until they got JUST ugly enough

3 Likes

It’s definitely an “interesting” look. But I’ll say, the garage door style cab cover is kinda cool though. Just have to hope it has better reliability than those door handles:

because to a Tesla fanboi, Tesla can do no wrong, and if Musk says it can, it must be true.

4 Likes

If you think they are the base for this truck you are wrong. This will not be a hot sale in CA…as other trucks find that out. I’m curious to see how many orders they will get for this.

I agree with you that the covered bed feature here is an aerodynamic improvement. Of course, so is a truck with a campershell compared to an open bed.

The point is is that this isn’t a design done with a focus on optimized aerodynamics. They could have designed a truck with that as the design goal and this is definitely not what it would have looked like, as there are lots of design details here that fly directly in the face of that being a major driver. There are lots of things that could have been done here to improve aerodynamics while maintaining this horrible design aesthetic that weren’t.

From the headlights to the top of the truck it’s a straight line. To me it’s obvious what they tried here.

To make it look like a blade runner vehicle from the 80s?

This is the Bertone design language in a nut shell.

I think it is much more likely that Elon declared that the new truck shall have stainless panels, and that the cost to make them not flat was far too high to hit their desired cost, so the spin was that they were going to do an 80s cyberpunk inspired faceted vehicle. Either that or Elon grew up watching blade runner and he is so far off the rails now that he’s just doing whatever he wants, company be damned.

I can’t see anyone in the heartland wanting this over a traditional truck. Time will tell if I’m wrong.

I can’t see it selling like hotcakes anywhere. I’d agree with you it won’t be a hot sell in CA, but there are going to be some fanbois that buy this thing immediately, regardless.

1 Like

Sure, you can make lots of $ on youtube making it do all kinds of :poop:
I would call them business men not fanbois… Hell, if i could get one now i would open a channel too…first on the agenda, try to run over a Prius.

What they thought is not to waste too much time and money designing this thing. They probably knocked the body out in 1 day, slapped some basic electric motor in to make it to the podium. Like you said, electric enthusiasts in Cali are not buying trucks, neither will the rest of America. Not until electric is the only choice.

2 Likes

I agree with this, especially since the infrastructure in these areas is no where near up to par with the west coast. Not to mention, these truck buyers are very brand loyal. No Ford guy wants a Chevy and vice versa. Hell, a Chevy guy won’t buy a GMC, and GMC guy thinks the Chevy is junk…yet they’re virtually the same truck.

2 Likes