Tesla Model Y Lease - Same Car - MI vs. VA

, , ,

Hi All, I am currently located in VA due to my husband’s military orders but have a permanent address in MI. I am trying to figure out why a lease payment for the same vehicle with the same vehicle price, is more in MI than in VA, even when VA has a higher tax amount due.
This quote is for $0 down, however, in the breakdown the amount you see “due at signing” is for the first month’s payment and the taxes due at signing. Even though you see more being paid at signing for the VA quote, that is because the taxes due at signing are considerably higher, so I wouldn’t think that would be the cause for the lower monthly payment in VA.

The answer I am getting from Tesla is very vague so I am hoping someone here can explain it to me like I am 5.

The tax due in MI is lower than VA, but the lease payment in VA is $34.00 cheaper. Here is the breakdown for each state:

Virginia

Michigan

Must be something to do with the bank they’re using for a specific region or the residual value for that region. What are they telling you?

Not a direct answer but surely a Ioniq, EV6, Ariya, or even Lyric would be a better deal?

2 Likes

First they said the lease payment for VA was cheaper because that vehicle is a demo vehicle. It is listed as a demo vehicle but the demo price brought the vehicle price down to the same price as the non-demo vehicle. So, from what I can see, they are starting at the same vehicle price. When I responded with the screenshots of the breakdown for each, noting just that, he responded with this:

“The main difference is that every state has their own taxes, and the prices are affected accordingly to that.”

OP as Max_g have pointed out, you can get Ioniq, iD4, ev6, eqb or Ariya around $300-400 monthly. Unless you really need tesla supercharging network, you’re better off with other ev.

You pay the tax upfront in Virginia, so the monthly payments are lower. In Michigan, you pay tax each month, so the monthly payments are higher.

1 Like

I am not finding anything with AWD, $0 down, for anywhere close to $300-$400 dollars.

They’re practically giving away EV6s. $350-400 is pretty much standard without much work. With not a lot down either. Your Tesla lease works out to $660 including the down payment.

Learn how to use the LH calculator

Go to signed deals and filter it to the car you want so you’ll understand what kind of deal is possible

Go to marketplace and see what broker are offering

Get the RV & MF for the lease u want - u can get them by signing up as super supporter here or go to edmunds forum and ask them there

Start constructing your deal in LH calculator and get the number you want

Copy & paste them into spreadsheet and start emailing that number to the dealer around your area + tell them you can sign asap.

Either they blew you off, give a counter offer or accept your deal

Good luck.

2 Likes

Thank you! I did sign up as a super supporter so I am still learning the ropes and trying to figure out the calculator feature.

1 Like

After the $7500 tax rebate, the lease payment is less than $500. $460 in VA and $490 in MI.

Oh, are you not set on a Tesla? If so, you have a variety to choose from.

I thought I was, but y’all are making me second guess myself! Doesn’t have to be EV either. I’m good with hybrid as well. I’m good with fuel, I was just going for the tax rebate because it helped lower the lease payment and most deals I have seen suck, bad, right now. I turned in my XC90 in March, it was my 3rd Volvo lease. I did not get another lease because they were offering the XC40 with a lease payment as high as what I was paying for my XC90.

What trim and powertrain was the XC90?

First, take a look at broker deals in marketplace at the vehicles you’d be interested in. I suggest Autocompanions as they have the most selection of vehicles in one spreadsheet, very organized and their prices can be pretty amazing.

Broker deals are by far the best way to score a deal because you don’t need to do any of the work i’m about to tell you. I think they really earn their fee.

Second, if you truly want a deal, you can’t go around asking dealers for a price, you need to be direct and upfront. Give them the lease numbers you are looking for - broker numbers are the max you should obviously be willing to pay - and play around in the calculator, with different discounts from MSRP.

The hard part is the calling many dealers, both in your area and out of state, to find the cars and trims you want. There’s lots of ways to search for inventory, like cars.com or even manufacturer’s own websites. Blast out emails and make calls, speak to a manager, tell them the price you want and if they don’t accept, move on to the next one. You’ll have to negotiate for a good deal.

Teslas are certainly much easier, it’s like going to a broker deal, but then you’d get a car that looks like everyone else’s and probably a not so great payment. It’s a good car, but unless you can’t charge at home, there are better EV leases out there.

I’ve got an EQS SUV via broker deal and a Nissan Ariya that I negotiated myself. Broker deal is certainly less stressful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for all of the tips, I really appreciate it.
I would love to get into the EQS! It’s a bit out of my price range though. I will keep looking will definitely use the info you provided.

It is now, it was in your price range last march. Still plenty 2023 around, maybe MB corporate will do another June madness :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m also overwhelmed by all of the info on here. There are so many rabbit holes and now I am back at square 1 and have no idea what car I want or should look into.

I was in the same boat! I was originally shopping for an EQE for myself before discovering LH. Also went around the rabbit hole, test drove 10 brands and cars, and got the EQS for a cheaper lease than my original EQE budget :joy:

Best thing to do would be to make a list of your top 3 dream cars right now, get an idea on pricing via broker deals, then test drive the ones within your budget.

For your first lease I would honestly encourage you to go via broker, after learning some terminology and formulas. Lot less stressful and time wasted. Find a short 18 month Ariya lease, or a 24 month Ioniq lease or something, this way you will be much better equipped for the next one.

At your $550/month ish budget you can get almost any EV lease, any trim, only exceptions being top Mercedes/BMW trims (so no BMW iX or i7 or EQS, but EQE and i4 is certainly doable). Oh and no Taycans :joy:

1 Like

Are all of the broker deals posted under “Marketplace”?

I’m good with hybrids too. I fell into looking at the EVs because the tax incentive really helped with the lease payment.