Tesla Model 3 wait times slashed

Sure, Ev will win the first acceleration or maybe the a few after that. A session in a track event, model 3 or s for that matter, will enter limp mode long before the session ends. In fact, for average track like Thunder Hill in norCal, a Model S P85+ will not last a full lap without going into limp mode.

While I think Model 3 does have acceleration advantage on daily driving, but when compare to real sport car like BMW Ms, it needs a lot more refinement and implement to compete

You are absolutely right in saying that every car (you can say that about every product, animal and human too) will put out waste. There is no denying that you need to put out something to make something, but what’s the alternative? Not having a car? Bring back the horses? Oh wait, they poop and they eat a lot too.

EV vehicles are cleaner than ICE vehicles, that’s a fact. The numbers will tilt it even more to the EV side if the grid is renewable energy. In California, the grid are not from coal or fossil fuel.

I agree with you about the need for more recycling, but that’s a different issue. I believe Bloomberg released a story about why it was cheaper for them to sell the Cruze at a loss than it is for them to shut down the production line. It’s really sad. The good news is that newer cars are more efficient, we can get some of the older cars off the road.

The article has a nice breakdown and put it into charts that are more easy to read.

I think we’re on the same page; I think EV vehicles are the future combined with continual improvement of the efficiency of ICE cars to help us pollute less. However, there needs to be some dialog where people falsely claim that their EV doesn’t pollute/impact the environment when it does in a behind-the-scenes sense. Over the lifespan of an EV and a similar ICE vehicle, the EV will pollute less, but that’s only if the EV is on the road long enough to offset the increased environmental impact during its production. Everybody has their preferences, but it’s good to be able to acknowledge the negatives with the positives.

In other model 3 news, is there a reason why I can’t configure the $35k model anymore? Before the website at least acknowledged the wait time for the base model, but now it’s been completely scrubbed from the website. A coworker is going to test drive one today but is quite adamant about buying the base model when it becomes available but we couldn’t spec it out.

That was true with the Model S, but not so true with the Model 3. The Model 3 rear motor is designed for efficiency, so not as prone to overheat.

Barring a technological breakthrough, ICE engine will only have moderate gains in their efficiency for the foreseeable future. EV cars are already more efficient now and they have more room for growth. Just a change in how the grid generates their power will lower their emission greatly. I understand all cars will produce emission one way or another, but the fact is that EV are cleaner compare to an equivalent new car no matter how you look at it (not always cheaper). Now they still have their quirks, but it is what it is. Hopefully the popularity of the Tesla will drive other OE to speed up their development and release cars that look more normal.

They already said the Model 3 base isn’t going to be available until 2019, there is no point to get people’s hopes up. There is only 5 months left for the full $7500 credit right now, they are going to push high margin cars out as fast as they can build it. The people who can’t afford the more expensive ones are going to complain, but as a business, they can’t turn away high margin cars when they are selling them. Despite the news, they have no trouble selling them. If they have trouble selling them, they would be turning to the base cars today! A bunch of sitting inventory wouldn’t look too good.

Regarding EV sales and EV popularity. Boomberg predicts worldwide EV sales growing from 1.1M units last calendar year to 30 M units annually by 2030.

1 Like

The change is in evitable, the question is how fast and how long it will take. I think both will have a place in our future, the question is at what mix and when.

Rutroh…of all the problems, didn’t see this one coming.

I agree. Here’s a video of a bunch of sitting inventory, found at Burbank Hollywood Airport. https://twitter.com/grierhiggins/status/1020094160156540929/video/1

These vehicles are piling up 50-100 miles from the rail lines Tesla uses, with people saying that trucks are dropping off cars but not taking them away. Might be just a logistical bottleneck, but man that’s a lot of Model 3s that need to be delivered.

1 Like

7k new Tesla orders just last week.

Elon says with sticky tires 0-60 time of Model 3 drops to 3.3 from 3.5.

They are putting it there so they can make people with $55K wait a month for them. Better yet, I think they are making it simply to make sure people don’t get the 35K car. That must be the plan.

Tesla Model 3 performance version has track mode. Optimizes the power train for racing on the track.

California has the worst air pollution in the country so it is logical that they would have different priorities than areas with plenty of clean air to breath.

Most polluted areas based on ozone:

1. Los Angeles-Long Beach, California
  2. Bakersfield, California
  3. Visalia-Porterville-Hanford, California
  4. Fresno-Madera, California
  5. Sacramento-Roseville, California
  6. San Diego-Carlsbad, California
  7. Modesto-Merced, California
  8. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Arizona
  9. Redding-Red Bluff, California
  10. New York-Newark, New York-New Jersey-Connecticut-Pennsylvania

From July 2011 survey, 47% of the citizens in Los Angeles consider air pollution to be a big problem.

Quote: But the moment you mash the accelerator a whole new sensation hits, and it’s immediately apparent what you’re getting for the (considerable) added price.
And because it hits you immediately with all that sweet, sweet electric torque, it’s a really thrilling 3.5-second joyride.
Visually, only a few changes differentiate the Performance from lesser Model 3s. The biggest giveaways are the aforementioned 20-inch wheels and bigger brakes …

I’ll take a Stingray while you sniff my exhaust fumes.

1 Like

Since the stingray is slower …

1 Like

If so, and I doubt it is in the real world, it’s not by much. It’s also vastly superior looks wise, has a full interior with gauges and all, and doesn’t rely on a single point of failure in the touch screen, and doesn’t need to be taken back immediately after purchase to fix the glaring flaws made in manufacturing it.

1 Like

The Vette is one of the best bang for your buck cars out there. I think allot of people write it off because it’s a Chevy. For the money, a base one has so much performance and could be driven daily without costing an arm and leg maintenance wise. Left over 2017’s are over $10k off, allot of car for ~$50K

1 Like

Seems the market for vetts are the older generation. Those are the only one’s I see in them. The younger generation appreciate:

1. Instant torque
  2. No oil changes
  3. No need to change the brakes, because of regen
  4. Tesla having a much higher owner satisfaction rating
  5. No tailpipe pollution
  6. Controls via: touch, voice, and mobile phone
  7. Autopilot
  8. Soon there will be self driving feature(s)
  9. Beating vetts in the quarter mile and 0-60 runs.
  10. Not having the dealer hassle
  11. More practical, seating for five.
  12. No vibrations