Tesla Model 3 wait times slashed

Can’t believe people are still arguing over this car :joy:

The Plebs need something to drive too

As long as it meets these requirements, it’s cool that there are paint runs and that big nav screen might freeze up during driving. 50k well spent.

How much is well spent to pick up cancer from exhaust fumes?

What kind of mask do you use when your outside? Completely sealed(O2 tank)or do you just use a filter?

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m thinking full body bubble.

2 Likes

I almost typed that but I restrained myself

1 Like

I’ve learned, there are 49 states and California. It’s a whole different world there, and is like going into another country.

1 Like

you forget the stuff that get produced when making the li-on battery. It is 1000x worse than modern car emission. And let’s be realistic, gasoline car has been around for how long?? Human are still living. There are more cancer caused by cigarrete or sugar than emission

The venture capitalist quoted there also raised concerns around Musk’s “distractability”

I’d be concerned with the fact he’s a snake oil salesman, that’s worse than a car salesman, that’s pretty terrible.

Do you have a link for that or just making it up?

Quote:
According to the U.S. government, lithium ion batteries aren’t an environmental hazard. "Lithium Ion batteries are classified by the federal government as non-hazardous waste and are safe for disposal in the normal municipal waste stream

They mentioned the production of lithium ion batteries, not the batteries themselves. From an earlier EPA study (https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-01/documents/lithium_batteries_lca.pdf)

The study showed that the batteries that use cathodes with nickel and cobalt, as well as solvent-based electrode processing, have the highest potential for environmental impacts. These impacts include
resource depletion, global warming, ecological toxicity, and human health impacts. The largest contributing processes include those associated with the production, processing, and use of cobalt and
nickel metal compounds, which may cause adverse respiratory, pulmonary, and neurological effects in those exposed. There are viable ways to reduce these impacts, including cathode material substitution, solvent-less electrode processing, and recycling of metals from the batteries.

A recent Swedish study estimates that each Tesla battery will produce 17.5 tonnes of CO2 due to mining and manufacturing, and that you could drive an existing ICE vehicle for 8 years before emitting that much CO2. That figure also didn’t account for the electricity generation that mainly comes from fossil fuels. (Svensk undersøgelse: Produktion af elbilers batterier udleder tonsvis af CO2 | Ingeniøren).

There is also the human impact from mining the materials for the batteries. Over 20% of cobalt comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo, which is rife with human rights violations and child labor practices. (Meet Dorsen, 8, who mines cobalt to make your smartphone work | World News | Sky News). The Philippines has shut down numerous nickle mines due to environmental issues (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-mining-idUSKBN15H0BQ). The rivers in Norilsk already run red due to mining issues and poor waste management (Where the river runs red: can Norilsk, Russia's most polluted city, come clean? | Cities | The Guardian).

Back to the model 3 wait discussion, it’s hard for me to be cynical about the whole thing. It feels like a cash grab because their investors are angry, loans are coming up, and they don’t have enough cash on hand to continue production unless they continue to sell the higher profit margin trims. Tesla also wasted a ton of time / capital ignoring proven automotive manufacturing techniques, shooting themselves in the foot for their pathway to reaching 10k units per month. How many people will demand their $1k refund (digging more into Tesla’s cash) when they realize that the federal tax credit will no longer be there by the time they can take delivery of their car?

3 Likes

Yes, gas just comes out of the nozzle magically and it doesn’t require any energy to produce/move them. Gas engines are made out of 3D plastics, they take no energy to produce.

1 Like

Coffee is good for you too according to one study…the next one says it isn’t.

1 Like

It’s obvious that both vehicles will require energy and create pollution to build, there’s no denying that. However, pretending that using an electric only vehicle doesn’t harm the environment isn’t painting a fair picture, it’s just offsetting the generation of pollution to other vectors (mainly in the battery manufacturing). When electric vehicles become more commonplace and manufacturing techniques improve, hopefully we can see a time where EVs are both wholly economically and environmentally friendlier to everybody.

Until then, I still hold that the most environmentally-centered car buying decision is to purchase a late model, used vehicle that gets good MPG. It already exists, and prevents materials from going to waste prematurely and car manufacturers from producing too many vehicles. Reduce and reuse! But then again we’re leasehackrs, we want shiny new vehicles for a cheap price.

Wall Street Journal rates the Model 3: Magnificent!
https://www.wsj.com/articles/first-ever-review-of-the-tesla-model-3-performance-a-thrilling-modern-marvel-1532022533
Tested the Model 3 performance which costs $80K. Quote:
In the Performance version, two motors north and south equal 335 kW (450 hp) and digitally mastered all-wheel drive, with corner-exiting acceleration that will leave average BMW M4s with a soft auf Wiedersehen.

There is zero chance I could ever justify $80k on a model 3.

3 Likes