Tesla Model 3 wait times slashed

I-Pace interior is quite befitting of its price point.

1 Like

I have a good friend that went from a S550 to a Model S and then a Model X.

He agrees fit and finish, interior quality isnā€™t as good vs Mercedes, but other aspects make it worth the trade off for him. To each their own.

1 Like

Understandably the cost of a upscale interior is going towards the cost of the battery packs instead. I think in a few years when battery prices reach parity with combustion, weā€™ll see better materials/design in the interiors.

1 Like

Question is, do they have the time? Can they upscale the new model S before VWAG starts to release decent range electric A8s, Panameras and Bentleys?

This is just my opinion, but I think near term those EVs will be appropriately more expensive than a comparable ICE A8, Panamera, etc to account for the battery pack. Unless the manufacturer decides to really take a loss on those vehicles. Case study being an i3. Itā€™s not a bad interior per se, but it is spartan. Thin, non-powered seats, standard cloth (or eco whatever) fabric. Also, not sure if the I-Pace is based off the F-Pace or E-Pace, but thereā€™s a big price gap between those vehicles as well.

Most, if not all, already do take a loss on those vehicles. Right now, theyā€™re compliance vehicles for CA.

Hell for Elon Musk Is a Midsize Sedan - Bloomberg Businessweek

Practically no waiting if you order the expensive Tesla Model 3, even if you havenā€™t pre-ordered or gotten on the wait list.

Those are ugly as sin but the performance is pretty cool. I wonder if they solved the overheating battery problems the plagued early Model Sā€™.

Woh, missed a lot of the fun here. Iā€™ve been MIA mostly because of life. Had very little to do with the Model 3 actually.

My take, as you would expect from someone who is crazy enough to plop down $60k+ for a car is extremely positive. Iā€™ve driven a ton of different types of cars over the years due to business travel, many of which were really nice luxury cars (5-series BMWs, etc) and to be honest, the Model 3 is by far the favorite car Iā€™ve driven. This includes the model S that I had as a loaner car! No, this doesnā€™t mean the model 3 is void of issues, but in terms of pure enjoyment, itā€™s amazing!

To start off, Iā€™ve had quite a few fit and finish issues on my model 3 (was among the first 10k cars), so my car spent a lot of time at the service center. Iā€™m pretty upset about it, but in the end, Tesla fixed every single issue without complaints.

That being said, even with those issues, I still love it.

1. To me the minimalist interior is perfect. I got used to the lack of binnacle display in minutes and I know it sounds weird, but I actually prefer it to my other cars.
  2. The drive experience blows everyone away! Sure there are faster cars on the road, but the ridiculous torque will shove you back in your seat and just give you a thrill.
  3. No engine noise = awesome. No gas = more awesome. No oil changes and most maintenance = well you get it.
  4. General look and feel of the car, seats, interior, etc are of course personal preference, but I absolutely love all of it. I canā€™t think of a single thing Iā€™d want changed
  5. Software updatesā€¦ so Iā€™ve owned the car for almost 4 months now, and its ridiculous how the car gets better every week. Literally every week I get software updates where Tesla adds functionality and fixes customer annoyances. Everything is over the air and I have LTE everywhere I go.
  6. Range is awesome. 314+ miles on a charge. I can drive it to most places I would go without needing to stop for a charge. When I do drive more than 300 miles round trip in a day, stopping by a supercharging station is relatively quick and painless. Also gives a much appreciated break.
  7. Autopilot is AWESOME! I know, i knowā€¦ Iā€™ve used the word awesome like 12 times, but autopilot is amazing. Iā€™m not much of a car guy, so Iā€™m not one of those people that feels some special satisfaction in driving. Itā€™s amazing to be able to jump onto the freeway and just sit back and watch the road with minimal effort. It stays in the lanes perfectly, stop and go traffic is seamless, and changing lanes is automatic. Oh, btw, they added Summon mode last week, so my car will pull out of my tight garage parking without any worries.

As you can tell, outside of the initial fit and finish issues (which Iā€™m hearing are mostly resolved), I absolutely love the Model 3. The model S was nice as a loaner car, but I enjoy the maneuverability of the model 3 so much more.

Sorry for the long winded post, but figured Iā€™d give my thoughts. :slight_smile:

EDIT: One last thought. I still feel like $60k is entirely too much to pay for any car, but honestly I have no regrets. Itā€™s gonna be painful to make payments for the next 5 years, but I think itā€™ll be worth the enjoyment.

9 Likes

Thanks for stopping by with an update. Doesnā€™t matter what anyone else thinks if it is the right car for you. :grinning:

You might have said something before and I forgot but what color did you get?

1 Like

agreed. :slight_smile: I got the midnight silver metallic. It was a tough choice, but in the end I get going back and forth between that and white. The final decision pretty much came down to white being easier to see dirt. The midnight silver metallic is actually pretty cool. Itā€™s got this almost blue metallic shimmer to it thatā€™s subtle, but really cool looking! Also seems to be the most popular color around San Diego, so thatā€™s a bit unfortunate.

Anyone that says owning a model 3 is financially sound, is smoking something. I didnā€™t spend 60k+ on a car because I was being frugal. Even with gas savings, maintenance savings, and tax incentives, Itā€™s still a crazy expensive car.

As far as getting the 35k version, I highly recommend getting at least long range battery. Definitely alleviates the range anxiety quite a bit.

1 Like

Here is a long time automotive reviewer giving his thumbs up for Model 3.

Quote: I, too, raved about the first 3 I tested. Its spare, iPhone-like design and nimble handling drowned out voices in Model 3 forums complaining of inconsistent paint jobs and electronic hiccups.

1 Like

What thumbs up? The article is about ordering the car. He hasnā€™t even received it yet. If you feel his opinion is of value, post an actual review

Liberals seems to be canceling their Model 3 orders in droves in these past few weeks after finding out that Elon donated like 40k to the GOP PAC. Not only that but he made an idiotic tweet about the divers that rescued the trapped kids in Thailand. Itā€™s like Elon wants people to cancel pre-orders.

He is giving a thumbs up by ordering it.

Another thumbs up is in the quote I posted:
Quote: I, too, raved about the first 3 I tested. Its spare, iPhone-like design and nimble handling drowned out voices in Model 3 forums complaining of inconsistent paint jobs and electronic hiccups.
/quote

Here is a link to his earlier review which was linked in the quoted text:

Call me crazy, but if Iā€™m one of the ones spending 50k on a car, it damn well better not have an inconsistent paint job or electronic hiccups, when you donā€™t hear about this on an 18k Elantra.

1 Like

He is a businessman and donations to political parties are part of the game. This boycott everytime someone feels offended needs to end.

4 Likes

Call me crazy, but if Iā€™m spending $50k on a car, it damn well better not have:

1. Irritating vibration
  2. Tiny screen
  3. Requirement to stop at gas stations
  4. spew out carcinogens
  5. No car pool lane access
  6. Smell bad
  7. Lousy navigation compared to google maps navigation
  8. Slow acceleration. Model 3 accelerates 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.
  9. Requirement to always drive. Full self driving hardware or lane centering.
  10. poor handling
1 Like