Tesla Model 3 wait times slashed

Do you have videos about people spray painting in tents? My friend’s dad is forced to spray paint in tent who is actually a worker in SolarCity Panel manufacturing. He can’t even paint his house wall properly :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Forced” is a strong word. Presumably he can quit if he wants. But are you saying he would lose his Solarcity job if he declined to work at Tesla?

1 Like

Yes it is a situation where a 60+ year person will find it hard to find another job that easily. Not essentially it was forced literally but there was a hidden threat

BTW, I am new to forum who has put down deposit for Model 3 sometime back. Currently I am enjoying the leased car till mid-next year which I got with great knowledge I got from LH. Hopefully by mid-next year I will be able to make a wise decision to jump on Tesla ship or not. Hopefully their quality issues will settle by then. I have seen a Tesla3 that my friend got and I will say I wouldn’t have taken delivery with those imperfections. He was told that service dept will take care of those paint blemishes and panel gaps.

Sounds a lot like the mistreated/disgruntled workers that led to the Big 3’s poor build quality in the past.

I’m not a mechanical engineer but I don’t understand how service depts will fix panel gap issues. Either the panel is out of spec (good luck getting a new one anytime soon) or the unibody is, in which case you’re even more SOL.

There’s some adjustments and shims they can use depending on how bad it’s out of alignment. If you think about it, body shops and restoration places do this all the time after an accident or during a restoration.

With that said, they shouldn’t be that far out that they need to go to repair immediately after coming off the line either.

So it’s being outsourced to bodyshops? Because I doubt their service centers are equipped to handle this

Idk how Tesla is handling it. I’m speaking in general terms that body gaps can be adjusted within reason

Maybe his painting will improve after he ruins the first 100 or so Model 3 he paints.

LOL… Most likely he will improve a lot or might have already by now but for sure I don’t want one of those vehicles with blemishes. I buy a car to keep for long term otherwise happy to lease for toys I want to just try. To me, I think electric vehicles are way to go and I will by once things are matured. I have almost a year for purchase so hopefully better options will be at hand by that time if Tesla is still up with same issues.

I’ll take an electric 3 series over a model 3 100/100. Fit / finish with a finished interior that’s up to BMW’s standards would be a nice personal EV.

Also it’s been 3 days since Tesla mused about going private and the funds are secured. However, nobody has stepped forward to say that they are the ones doing the buyout. NYTs has speculated that instead of going private they’ll go ‘dark’ but that would involve bleeding a lot of money when they are already bleeding a lot of money…

1 Like

Agree. BMWs don’t have the nicest interior on the planet, but they have one.

They aren’t, but they have years of ergonomic research and testing behind their interiors instead of taking a shortcut and slapping it all into a single tablet. Imagine if MB or Audi got serious and made an all-battery version of the C class or the A4!

I’d be shocked if they weren’t in full fledged R&D right now. VWAG has already made public announcements on investing X billions into electrification (PHEV and BEV). Daimler would have to be asleep at the wheel to ignore all the writing on the wall.

It looks like BMW has learnt a lot from the i3 and i8 programmes and has been testing the waters with the 330e, same for Audi with the A3 eTron and the MB B/C300e. All that learning and testing will definitely help.

Tesla should be credited with at least getting the Germans to speed up their EV plans. My worry is still with longer term reliability and so looking at the Asian brands, they seem to be quite a bit behind. The Clarity EV seems to be getting some attention but it’s an achingly slow rollout.

Edit: @kimcicle posted already from wsj

VWAG already dipped their toe in with the e-Golf, but will really threaten Tesla with their upcoming e-tron quattro / e-tron sportback models.

Daimler has their upcoming EQ lineup after their EV B-Class.

Tesla will get to enjoy their time as the only “luxury” EV maker for a little longer, but they are going to get pushed out when the major players get serious and people realize how second-rate the Tesla interiors are compared to actual luxury brands.